View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
brigid
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by dave65
well it's a month tomorrow since i last took a drink, felt realy good at first but have been a little up and down recently, i'm not getting any cravings for alcohol in fact i don't even miss it, this is what happened last time i quit after a few weeks it didn't bother me not drinking and i think that is were my downfall is because after a while i think that i can take it or leave it and end up back on the same old road, is it my mind playing tricks on me, if i'm a alcoholic shouldn't i still be craving a drink, does anyone else feel like this?
I have been through a lot of this over time. I deal with any thoughts about drinking in these ways:

* sometimes I can say to myself that I will be able to drink when I have nothing left to worry about, so maybe when the kids are a lot older - this shuts down the immediate urge
* sometimes I just think about how good my life is now
* sometimes I just think about how crap my life was then
* sometimes I draw on my sober experience to get me to not drink, I practice what I have done already even if I have a body trying to trick my mind into drinking - just revert to new habit, without pondering it
* sometimes I will spoil myself with something else that I think I really shouldn't do or have and then my "naughty" side is satisfied
* I think how much easier it is to not drink now than it was in the past
* I imagine all the crap starting again and I think about what I will loose

CONGRATULATIONS on being sober!!!! THat is an awesome achievement.

peace and love,
Brigid