Notices

one month for me

Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one month for me

well it's a month tomorrow since i last took a drink, felt realy good at first but have been a little up and down recently, i'm not getting any cravings for alcohol in fact i don't even miss it, this is what happened last time i quit after a few weeks it didn't bother me not drinking and i think that is were my downfall is because after a while i think that i can take it or leave it and end up back on the same old road, is it my mind playing tricks on me, if i'm a alcoholic shouldn't i still be craving a drink, does anyone else feel like this?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Alcoholism is a mental obsession, Dave. If you think you might be an alcoholic, chances are you probably are one. It's not the 2nd, 5th, 12th drink etc. that gets us drunk, it's the first one.

Have you tried AA meetings yet? Might be worth checking one out, and seeing if you notice any similarities between yourself and other AA members. 30 days is great, and my experience has proven to me that 30 years is possible if I work a program and do the deal.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

If you don't miss it then there's no real reason to drink again?

But as you said:

"this is what happened last time i quit after a few weeks it didn't bother me not drinking and i think that is were my downfall is because after a while i think that i can take it or leave it and end up back on the same old road"

Sounds like a trick to me or maybe it would just be doing the same thing and expecting different results?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Congratulations Dave on your 30 days...

Alcohol is cunning and baffleing. Don't let your guard down. 30 days or 30 years, it will creep back into your life if you let it...

Stay strong and positive about keeping your sobriety...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-20-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! One month is great but you're still gonna have some serious cravings... P.A.W.S does happen and there's alot of information on this site and on the internet. Hang tough!

The roller coaster ride will end.. you just have to remember that you didn't get in the shape you're in overnight and the blahs don't disappear overnight either.. but they do GO AWAY COMPLETELY. Just don't pick up!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congratulations, it sounds to me that you have your head in the right place, you know that it is dangerous for you to let your guard down, and you know that your mind plays tricks on you when it comes to your recovery and addiction, this time don't let it...this time you have the wisdom to know that even if you think you can take it or leave it, that is not true... you have an advantage you did not have the last time... use it...good luck to you and be strong...you can fight this and win, many people do...never give up!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

on down your recovery road!
Well done on your sober time!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

way to go,
keep on,
keepin on,and the miracle will happen!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by dave65
well it's a month tomorrow since i last took a drink, felt realy good at first but have been a little up and down recently, i'm not getting any cravings for alcohol in fact i don't even miss it, this is what happened last time i quit after a few weeks it didn't bother me not drinking and i think that is were my downfall is because after a while i think that i can take it or leave it and end up back on the same old road, is it my mind playing tricks on me, if i'm a alcoholic shouldn't i still be craving a drink, does anyone else feel like this?
I have been through a lot of this over time. I deal with any thoughts about drinking in these ways:

* sometimes I can say to myself that I will be able to drink when I have nothing left to worry about, so maybe when the kids are a lot older - this shuts down the immediate urge
* sometimes I just think about how good my life is now
* sometimes I just think about how crap my life was then
* sometimes I draw on my sober experience to get me to not drink, I practice what I have done already even if I have a body trying to trick my mind into drinking - just revert to new habit, without pondering it
* sometimes I will spoil myself with something else that I think I really shouldn't do or have and then my "naughty" side is satisfied
* I think how much easier it is to not drink now than it was in the past
* I imagine all the crap starting again and I think about what I will loose

CONGRATULATIONS on being sober!!!! THat is an awesome achievement.

peace and love,
Brigid
Old 11-21-2006, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dave keep off it!!

30 days is a great achievment. I should know I am staring down 90. The thing is I keep remembering how I felt when not in control of my actions and know going back to drinking is all bad, as "findingout" says - If you don't miss it then there's no real reason to drink again?

Keep on the path, the world is such a better place sober - you must feel that.

All the best - keep posting!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dave,
You are doing really great! I remember the ups and downs of the first 30 days too. It can be tricky whenever we hit a milestone. Part of us may tell ourselves that we are "cured" so its really extra important to be [I]vigilant [/I today.

But at the same time, enjoy how much better you feel, and keep on keeping on!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks for all your kind words and i've no intention of letting my guard down this time, i was curious more than anything if other people felt the same way about your mind playing tricks on you and thinking that you havn't got a problem.

brigit,
some good thoughts there and almost all of them ring true for me as well
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I reallynever craved, delt with DT's = I must not have a problem!? WRONG! I know the place where you are at...I am 22 days.Somedays I think...this is a cake walk...and then my mind starts..you really haven't dealt with any stressful situations....you just wait (my mind saying this)...I guess that's what the call STINKING THINKING! I know that is really where my struggle is...not a craving but I doubt my self control in stressful situations. I am on the road to learning new ways to cope with these situations without drinking. AA and these boards have helped. Taking it day at a time.......
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time and yes be aware of triggers, things, ya know? Recovery sometimes just is hard work but the benefits are lovely.

Marte
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great work Dave, that is awesome. I am proud of you.

Peace, Levi
Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
HopeInFaith

hey dave - first off, congrats - keep it up! secondly yes - my mind tells me all the time that i don't have a problem, and this time will be different, and i just wasn't trying hard enough, and wouldn't it be fun, and..etc etc etc....the list goes on and on. but the outcome is ALWAYS the same!!!