Old 11-18-2006, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Although I empathize with your position right now, I think you may be overlooking one possibility. You're at an AA function, I'm taking it? They (those you're feeling so uncomfortable being around) are no doubt going along their merry way, doing things, talking about things, and thinking about things that have nothing to do with you or Prozac. So, how about you do the same? Or, if I misunderstood and you're not at a sober function, why not rejoin the party, ignoring references to your anxiety and its treatment, and participate in the conversation that should (if they've got anything else going in their lives but the issues of others) turn towards other things. If they continue to hound you, yank out the Big Book and turn to page 133 where it says:

But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.
Hang in there, Indigo. You can't change their behavior, but you can learn to lead by example. I got sober in a place where folks either misunderstood or purposely twisted the message. I got sober, and I got better. That whole thing about you not liking to read the Big Book? There's a lot of good recovery in those first 164, and the knowledge you'll come away with will help you immensely in dealing with the egos of others.

I wish you well, and I'm sending prayers your way.

Peace & Love,
Sugah