Old 11-18-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Found

IndigoNA,
I'm sending you vibes too.
It sounds like you tried to be assertive and straightforward, to the point of challenging whether they were being likewise, and maybe they gave up discussing their true position with you too soon. Maybe they are both having a succession of bad days. Maybe they got the point and have gone away to think about it!!! It definitely isn't AA to have your sponsor's sponsor as a sponsor (as such) also. You should hope to make recovering friends though, with whoever you like and can. Whether that includes your sponsor's sponsor should be left to chance. Sounds like either your sponsor's sponsor can't trust your sponsor or your sponsor can't trust himself. Pick up literature while you are at the convention, there is a booklet about sponsors, I can't remember what it says.
(In the Big Book it was someone that went looking for "Prospects" and every situation varies plus times change. It was implied the sponsor was the person you did some substantial parts of Steps 4 & 5 with, I know little more)
Hoping you can hit it off with other participants and maybe end up with contact details. Even if only to phone or write, and seldom see them.
(I'm lucky here to have nine meetings a week within 12 miles by public transport)
I hope the two guys will notice you having such a joyous time without them the next day and a bit, that they will want to take a leaf out of your book.
Also among your regular meetings perhaps you will find some types who are more open minded about "getting outside help" and more faithful to the Twelve Traditions - I hope so
Do keep in touch with us about how you get on
I now face returning to local AA groups and announcing to all and sundry that I have been & am carrying on getting Outisde Help.
It's only that some people talk to loud for us to not be bugged by it, and too loud for themselves to hear others as quick as they otherwise might.
All the best & more vibes to you

P.S "Getting Outside Help" - what a powerful theme for an AA Convention in itself!