View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mallowcup

When ever recovery comes around trouble with the law, I pause. That doesn't mean it can't be a good incentive. Once people enter into recovery, no matter what their intial intention they may actually use the tools there to start a real recovery program. Life simply couldn't have been very happy for her. I think once alcoholics become bottom feeders they just try to find comfort at the bottom. You keep being you. Consistant, convicted and willing to step away. When and if she gets clean, she will be drawn to you. She won't if you waver. Too many people are willing to change who they are for someone else. She has to make changes that they will talk about in recovery. You can pray for her and encourage her to pray for herself. I admire that you are willing to be in her life an your terms, not hers. This is a bit of an epiphany. We often ask why we stay. Well, your post makes me realize that many of us try to apply all the things that a normal healthy love relationship requires to a relationship that includes addiction. It doesn't work. We know that a normal relationship requires hard work and compromise. In an alcoholic relationship, compromise will be your demise. She is headed in the right direction at the moment. We celebrate the baby steps. It's really up to her.