View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

But I think friends call each other to hang out...
First of all...He's not your friend...he's your sponsor; and, I was always taught it's up to the person being sponsored to call the sponsor. He/she may be sponsoring more than one person, all of whom will be calling at different times and expecting undivided attention.

I'm supposed to guide the kids through the steps, something that I have never done and don't know where to start.
From what you've described...I have no idea how he operates, or whether this type of exercise is an NA thing. It seems as though he's passing off responsibilities to you that should be his. And, I don't understand how you would be expected to do step work with newcomers.

I won't even count on him for plans. He does stuff with other AA people and never includes me.
In his defense...remember that he is in recovery, too...and needs to have his own program of recovery that doesn't have to include you.

Perhaps it's time for you to cultivate your own circle of friends within the rooms. We always went in a large group to a local diner after the meetings. Sometimes the best meetings are after the meetings. We would also get together to go bowling, to program dances, camping, conventions, etc.

We alcoholics/addicts tend to be a bit sensitive...I actually seem to remember a story in the Big Book about "King Baby". I'm sure, with continued sobriety, you'll develop a thicker skin and not take your sponsor's behavior too personally.

I'm not saying I agree with his approach to sponsorship; but, it just happens to be his way of doing things. Without being too specific, or bad-mouthing him, you might casually check around with others to see if this is standard procedure among the sponsors in your area.

Hope this is of some help to you.