View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Firefighter
Silver Member

Men married to alcoholics

Are there any men out there married to alcoholics?! I know I'm not the only one. Maybe I'm the only one trying to work through the problem. I've read all I can find and it seems that men are not very patient and only 1/10 try to hold on. I've been married for two decades and I'm not ready to give up, but I don't have to tell any of you how bad it can be. I started to notice about 5 years ago and the last year has been the worst. I think I've been through all the emotions from feeling somehow I'm responsible to trying to confront and control to finally converging on a place where I understand. It wasn't that long ago I gave up looking for the ubiquitous wine bottles. I understand that I have no control over her drinking and talking about it only makes it worse. I understand that my only choice is to live my life with decisions that are best for me. It's so counter-intuitive to think the answer is to pretend the drinking doesn't occur. I have no allies, no one to talk to but all of you. The things I read here do help. Thanks.