View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
deax

Oh, bamagirl (HUGS) Welcome, and I'm really glad you found this place.

Sigh... I remember when I first came here and had the same feeling as you. All these bitter women who just want me to leave him. LOL. I understand where you're at right now on that point. But please educate yourself-- read the stickies at the top of the forum and learn the realities of addiction. Accept how powerless you are over other people. My boyfriend is a current coke addict, ex-crackhead which got so bad at one point he was homeless in his 20s, and a current alcoholic; by the time I accepted I had to really let go of him, and that that was all I COULD do to "help" him, he had metaphorical scratch marks all over him from how tight my grip had been. You can't love someone out of addiction-- none of us would be here if we could. The only thing you could do that might help him is to get yourself healthy and let him hit his bottom. Stop cushioning his fall. Which he knows full well you will do.

bamagirl- please read and reread and then read again what Former Doormat and jimhere said to you and really think about it. You should focus on getting help for YOU right now. Why you moved in with full knowledge with an active drug addict after one month, why you didn't think you deserved more than that from teh get-go, why you continue to allow him to wreak this havoc on your life, to steal from you. I had to do the same and my ex never even stole money or possessions from me, and I didn't know he was a drug addict when I met him. These are hard questions to answer. Focus on your self-esteem.

Drug of choice is a fine term. In fact, HE is YOUR drug of choice.

You enable your boyfriend the same way your dad enables you. You never allow your bf to feel the brunt of his addictions/lifestyle because you're always there to take him back, make things better, forgive again. Just like your dad never let you take responsibility for yourself either. Your family sounds like mine. Your dad sounds like a great guy. But by saving your ass with money time and again, you never had to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and your life. So start now. With both your dad and with your boyfriend you are in the helpless victim position-- one makes you feel helpless, the other one comes in to rescue. When do you want to take control of your own life? There's a book called Women Who Love too Much by Robin Norwood. She says we pick partners that help us feel the way we felt growing up. It's a pattern we try to conquer as adults and we fail every time until we gain some self-awareness. I found it was true for me; perhaps you might recognize yourself somewhere in there too?

Crack is no joke. Not that I'm taking any other drug lightly, but believe me from the many conversations I've had with my ex who had a long history with crack, there is no "fighting off the urge" to smoke crack. For the record, my ex is able to take a few days off coke/alcohol here and there too. But so what? He's still a drug addict and an alcoholic, unreliable and a liar.

No one can tell you what to do. It's your life. But please keep posting here, start reading (the abovementioned book and Codependent No More are great places to start), and learn to face the realities of addiction. But most importantly, start focusing on YOU and what is driving your life decisions. Start empowering yourself. In time things will get clearer and you will figure out the things you need to do. Take it slow and take good care of yourself.