View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
steve11694

Originally Posted by dvandjc
I understand what everyone is saying. I appreciate everyone's time and kindness. It appears that I'm enabling or settling, but that is not the case. This woman, my mother, made it very clear to me that this was her life, this is what she chooses, and she has no interest in changing. She accepts being an alcoholic. She is very capable of taking care of herself and she would have no problem disconnecting from me or her grandchildren. She has succombed to the disease. I know there are people out there with loved ones that were the same way. I want to know how to deal with it. I need to know. I was just diagnosed with cancer and I can't handle anymore surprises. I would like to know how the disease progresses until the end stage.

So sorry to hear about your mom. Don't stop loving her but do not sarifice yourself eithe.

from what you said in the post sounds like her liver function is significantly effected by alcohol to be changing her ability to control bleeding (clotting factors are made in the liver)

Becuse of what you say about her getting sick without alcohol every few hours, sounds like she would need medically supervised detox initially.

I know of a person that was legally forced into detox being a threat to himself. At first he cursed his family for "doing that to him" When the drugs cleared his system, he had a lot of gratitude for his family. He remins sober today.

We all send you a big hug