View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi Joeryan24!
I have been in your situation.... many, many times with my son. What Laurie said is true about it being up to him to decide. Until he decides what he wants, it might not even matter where or with whom he works with.
What the others have shared about old 'people, places and things' is also true- but my son could and would find new 'people, places and things' when he wanted to use. Us knowing what is right for the alcoholic is not enough for them to change.

My problem was trying to fix my son, to figure out for him what he needed to figure out for himself. I never recognized the degree of my problem until things escalated with him to a point of his doing time in jail. Even after that he still chose to use and is in jail again now.

This site is all about recovery- for all of us, not just the alcoholic or drug addict. I am so glad you found us here at SR and look forward to seeing you around this forum. There are alot of great people here who care.
If you haven't gone yet, it is recommended to try at least 6 Alanon meetings. There is much to learn about alcoholism both here and at face to face meetings too.
Again, Welcome to SR
cmc