View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dvandjc

Need personal experiences from others

Hi, I am new to this community and I am in search of information and help that I've been unable to find. Hopefully some can help. I have a lot of information relating to acoa and codependency, I have forgiven and I love. The assistance I need is how to cope. My mother is what I believe to be advanced stages of alcoholism. She knows what she is and says its too late for her. I know that she will never choose recovery. She is 63 years old and has been drinking since her teens. My mother has a minimum requirement of an 18 pack of beer a day. I've seen the changes in her as her disease has progressed. I've learned to cope with her disease from my own personal standpoint (i.e. I don't get so pissed when I hear the can pop, and I can be around her for more than 1/2 hour), but now I see her fading away. I'm scared. She doesn't eat because she gets sick, she doesn't sleep because she can't go a couple of hours without a beer or she will get sick, she bruises at the slightest touch and bleeds from the slightest bump. My mother will NOT seek medical attention. She has never seen a doctor for a check up, and I mean never. I wonder if anyone else here has watched their loved one deteriorate? What did they see, how did they feel? Was death slow or fast, can you see it coming? I hate thinking of these things but everytime I see her I am reminded. I love her so much, I don't want to lose her, but it is inevitable. Any stories would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.