View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2dayzmuse
Paused

I think the fact that your husband is so willing to run out and buy you beer when you are stressed is a problem. How can that help your sobriety?

Can I tell you a story? Life is full of unexpected surprises. Some welcomed and some not so welcomed. When they arise, I would like to face them sober. There was a time when ever the phone rang the chances were that I had been drinking. I had to face the situation on the other end of the phone usually drunk, if not completely obliterated.

The time that sticks in my mind the most, and still haunts me is when I got the phone call that my father had a heart attack and was at the hospital. Of course, I was drunk and when I got there, I was told he was gone. My family had to deal with the fact they had lost a family member, but also had to deal with a drunk. I still feel bad about it and maybe that is why I appreciate being sober when the phone rings these days.

A while back my daughter got into some trouble and I got a phone call from the local Police Department. I had to take my daughter down to the Department to talk with the officer and to the Mother of her friend and a few of her other friends. Thank God I was sober! I was so glad I didn't have to face that drunk, trying to walk straight, trying to not slur my words, trying to make sense. I often think of situations like that now that I am sober and I'm grateful those days are behind me. I have no control over unwanted situations, but I have control over the condition I am in when I receive them.

Just something to think about. With kids, you never know what to expect. I want to be able to handle a situation at a drop of a hat, and know that I was thinking at my best, and not embarrass myself, and my kids by my drunken behavior.