View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clutch B

Unhappy Dry AH boyfriend anything but "sober"

This might just be more of a rant than anything, but I had to get this off my chest.

We met in AA (I'm an AH too). All summer long, our relationship was great. He was going to meetings and working his program; I was going to meetings and working my program. We were both doing great. He treated me like an absolute princess.

He stopped going to AA meetings a month ago. But he said he was working the steps, so he didn't need to go to meetings. Total bull, I know.

Over time, he's become disgustingly arrogant. The one time I managed to drag him to an AA meeting two weeks ago, a guy we both knew for several months picked up a second white chip. (That means he drank again). I commented to BF how brave that guy was to admit in front of a group of sober people that he's starting over. But BF just called the guy "weak", and said, "If you're not going to stay sober, don't even try." Hello? AA is a spiritual program of recovery, "progress not perfection", etc. What a nasty attitude.

Over the past two weeks, BF's acting like a total lunatic, making rash decisions based on things that don't make sense. He said he needs more "space" in our relationship so he can work on his hobbies. But he was working on his hobbies all summer and doing great with them with no interference from me. I don't get it.

Now he's gotten insulting and down right verbally abusive. I shared something deeply personal with him earlier last week, and he later used it to insult me in the most painful way he possibly could. When I told him that it hurt my feelings, he turned the whole situation around into an attack against himself and accused me of being ungrateful. WTF?

Today, his sponsor calls and parts ways with him, because BF wasn't calling him or working the steps. Why am I not surprised?

It's just a miracle that anyone ever manages to love an alcoholic. I'm having an awfully hard time trying to love this guy. He isn't the person I met and fell in love with.

Who is this guy, and what has he done with my BF?

This disease sucks.