View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
prodigal

It's the nature of an alcoholic to minimize their own behavior and blame you or the rest of the world for their drinking. Just as you, the codependent, are focused on wanting to know why he treats you this way, and why he behaves the way he does. He's focused on the bottle and not you. You are focused on him and not you. It sounds like you are the one holding the short end of the stick.

He wants to maintain his addiction. How does he do that? By denying that anything is wrong. He may not even feel that anything IS wrong because being drunk is more "normal" to him than being sober.

No, he will not understand why you feel the way you do. But more importantly, do YOU understand why you feel the way you do??? Trying to get him to see the light, have a sudden revelation he's a drunk, understand your feelings, realize he's hurting you, etc., etc. is not going to happen unless HE wants it to happen. You have to get a handle on who you are.

I'm sure you've figured out that the more you try to make him understand what he's doing to you, the more you get involved in his addiction, the more upset you become. He'll go off on his merry way drunk as a skunk while you'll be the one having the nervous breakdown.

Unless you get into a program like Al-Anon and begin to understand yourself, I'm afraid you're just going to keep dancing this same terrible dance.