Thread: Dreams?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ngokpa

The dream may be on to something. Dreams are usually about different aspects of ourselves, but you have to ask yourself why you'd be going back. Loneliness? Is there any real communication?

I was in therapy once and had just seen my dad and bailed because he was being pretty obnoxious, and my shrink said "No more abuse." It got to me that while I loved to blame the abuser, I was the one who kept showing up. Abuse was painful, but it was familiar; stepping into a new role was scarey. But with the new role (in which I didn't know who I was) there was room to grow. Confusion was okay.

I eventually re-established relations with my dad, but that was after I made it clear that I wasn't putting up with abuse, and had also gotten used to the idea that I had to lose a lot of expectations. He wasn't ever going to meet them anyway. But I had to learn to have relationships where it was possible to have my needs met--but looking to have them met where there wasn't any true communication was like trying to buy oranges in a hardware store.