View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
splendra
the girl can't help it

There isn't much more I can do for him nutritionally, as he passes out drunk almost nightly now. He skips many meals due to this. I pack him healthy lunches and make sure he gets a supplement. He needs to do his part!
I couldn't do my part when I was drinking....
When I used to drink heavily I worked in a Chiropractors office he knew about my drinking problem and who wouldn't have HA! I was definatly hypo-glycemic from drinking(*studies prove that all alcoholics are hypoglycemic) The Dr. that I worked for insisted that I get my blood sugar balanced out everyday day in and day out he nagged me to eat right. I hardly ever ate cause I was saving all my calories for alcohol. Coming from a family with sever eating disorders and eating patterns I was scared to death of becoming fat. I would quit drinking long enough to get my blood sugar balanced then go back to drinking. The hangovers were hurrendous for me in thoughs days. When I would get my sugar levels right the alcohol would show me what it was really doing to me when I would drink again. I really had these hangovers all the time I was just so used to them that they did not really bother me cause I would start drinkng as soon as I got up to take care of the nasty bugger...Mind you I also had a team of shrinks working with me at the same time...They tried me on meds but , the combination of me drinking with them was not good at all I felt very yucky on the meds. I perfered to medicate with alcohol and pot. I formerly used meth amp and alcohol and pot but took myself off of the meth due to bad chest pains.

I could not change my behavior or even focus on it until I got my blood sugar balanced. Also I was having allergic reactions to so many foods I finally went on the most strict diet for almost 2 years with only short(day or 2) reprieves. Even before I started drinking I had many allergies I always was coughing,sniffleing,watery eyes, rashes ect ect. But it got much worse after I started drinking oh good Lord I was a mess...

The diet I was on kept me thin as a rail I lost weight when I quit drinking too.

I had to not eat anything that turned to sugar which eliminated all fruits, and grains. That meant no pasta,potatoes,breads,fruits. I ate foods that were high in mineral and anti-oxidents when possible being a vegetarain also put extra restrictions on my diet. I am allergic to milk too so I could not have any milk or cheese either. I did eat feta from goat and some eggs too. I had to eat small and often which I really hated...I hate breakfast but I had to eat it. I ate alot of plain vegetarian yogurt and took all kinds of supplements (no multi vitamins) because we had to see how my body reacted to each different nutrient. I hate typing!! Especially all these references...

*researchers Poulos, Stoddard, and Carron studied 200 alcoholics in 1973 and found 97% to be hypogycemic.
*Dr. William Philpott,observation of the 1978 convention, Journal of Orthomolecular Psychiatry 1997, Vol.8 No.4, pp 273-74 states all alcoholics are hypoglycemic and has direct bearing on alcoholism.

It really gets in my gut that it is a known fact that alcoholics have this problem of hypoglycemia since 1973 and still in 2006 very little is being done about it. This is a major reason why people with alcohol problems keep relapsing. Maybe just maybe if these poor folks could be monitored closely enough for long enough they could get well. Oh I am mad!!!

Oh and another thing a flood destoyed almost all of my reference books a couple of years ago so it was really hard for me to find these references...I lost all of my "Mosbys" so thank goodness for my "medical dictionary Dolland's" 101 that survived the flood...