SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Noticed ?? I (we) don't act out as much since sobering up (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/377588-noticed-i-we-dont-act-out-much-since-sobering-up.html)

Mountainmanbob 12-29-2015 12:25 AM

maybe a tattoo on my arm -- "Thy will be done."

Originally Posted by Gottalife (Post 5711835)

"As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

Can't get enough. True, that works for me very well. But, I need to remember to come back to it more often before the resentments set in fast at times. tattoo

M-Bob

Mags1 12-29-2015 12:48 AM

I found I'm not the drama queen as much since I've matured in my sobriety. I'm calmer, more thoughtful to myself and others, though I always put others first. It was kinda my apology for being the drunk I was.

zlhzlh 12-29-2015 12:55 AM

Omg, i have just been saying the same thing this morning. How little drama has happened this Christmas, i have scaled back fb and obviously not really been out and everyday i have woken up with the sense of peace and security, the whole of xhristmas has been wonderfully relaxed , no stress, no anger, no anxiety all because its been a sober one! Thank you all for your post, i have read them daily.

oldsoul1122 12-29-2015 11:27 AM

When I was drinking I hung on every word said, misinterpret, read into and overreacted causing a fight or disagreement. Not once in 6 months has this happened. The "perception disease" some say. I also focus on not taking anything personally.

least 12-30-2015 06:34 AM

For me, getting sober eliminated the drama. :) Nice to live a quiet sober life now. :)

Mountainmanbob 12-31-2015 02:39 AM

The Serenity Prayer

Went to an AA meeting yesterday and the topic was the

The Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.”

I used to say this simple little prayer all so often in my early sobriety. Seems that I have been going through some rough times lately (mostly brought on by myself) where it would have helped out greatly if I would have pulled the Serenity Prayer from my sober tool belt and used it.
M-Bob

Mountainmanbob 01-08-2016 08:27 AM

Man - how many more of those will their be ????

Noticed ?? I (we) don't act out as much since sobering up.

Well, that is true for most of us in recovery (most of the time).
True confession -- I did have an acting out relapse a while back.
Sure don't feel or think good after one of those.
Things are smooth and back in order.
Hope that it was just another one of those growing episodes.
Man - how many more of those will their be ????
MB

Bekindalways 01-08-2016 09:10 PM

Sigh . . . at least my own adult meltdowns make me more tolerant of others. However, the shame of loosing it lasts a long time for me.

"Your will be done." Is pretty much my favorite prayer. My white knuckled grip on the controls relaxes as I say it.

Mountainmanbob 06-05-2016 07:04 AM

Noticed ?? I (we) don't act out as much since sobering up

Well, I had a slight not so magic moment yesterday.
Emotions are something to keep in check each and every day.

e·qua·nim·i·ty

/ˌekwəˈnimədē/

noun

noun: equanimity

mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.
"she accepted both the good and the bad with equanimity"

synonyms: composure, calm, level-headedness, self-possession, coolheadedness, presence of mind; serenity, tranquility, phlegm, imperturbability, equilibrium; poise, assurance, self-confidence, aplomb, sangfroid, nerve; informalcool
"she confronted the daily crises with equanimity"