SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Non-Alcoholic Beers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/277615-non-alcoholic-beers.html)

TrixMixer 12-15-2012 11:35 AM

Non-Alcoholic Beers

Hi Guys,

Just began drinking O'Doul's non-alcoholic beer. Thought it tasted just like the real thing, even though beer was not my drink of choice!

Do not try them--they will get the addiction ball rolling again--don't take the chance

Stupid me wondered why I was beginning to really look forward to my 6pm beer before dinner, actually thinking about having 2. This has been for the last month, now Stupid me finds that Non-Alcoholic beers are for Non-Alcoholics only. Just that 0.5% alcohol is enough to get our genetics to kick in and before you know it --bye, bye, sobriety. This is after 30 years---Yikes--of course this is out of my house now, but what was I thinking:a043:

logo 12-15-2012 01:41 PM

Drink enough of them and you will get high. Logo

Kevah 12-15-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TrixMixer (Post 3719839)
that 0.5% alcohol is enough to get our genetics to kick in and before you know it --bye, bye, sobriety. This is after 30 years---Yikes--of course this is out of my house now, but what was I thinking:a043:

I have friends who won't even use regular mouthwash because of the alcohol % in it. They ask "Why tempt it?" I guess I'd have to agree. Same with NyQuil. I didn't notice the alcohol % and only recently found out about it. Honestly, though, I didn't know Odouls had 5% alcohol in it. I would have thought that non-alcoholic beer was non-alcoholic. LOL

Ghostly 12-15-2012 02:56 PM

^ .5%, not 5%...just pointing that out cuz its a huge difference relatively speaking.

LDT 12-15-2012 03:24 PM

Interesting.....this is not a comment for or against non-alcoholic beverages. But I'm curious..if one is to be worried about .5% alcohol in a beverage, then would that same person be worried about the .1% alcohol that exists in some fruit juices ( as in orange and apple juice ). I've read that water intoxication would occur before an actual "high".

Don't get the mouthwash thing.....but to each his own :) Whatever works.

Dee74 12-15-2012 03:34 PM

The fruit juice argument is a bit of a red herring for me I'm afraid.

I don't drink NA beer because it looks like beer, feels like a can of beer, it smells like beer, it has that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tastes like beer....

Then I used to wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

D

tomsteve 12-15-2012 03:40 PM

personally it wouldnt matter to me it it was 0% alcohol. i find it not wise to ask the lord to lead me from temptation, then walk into it.

LDT 12-15-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks for that input D. I'm definitely not trying to stir anything up. I have just always wondered where a person draws a line. I suppose it's different for everyone.

Hollyanne 12-15-2012 04:01 PM

I would prefer a cup of tea!

Not interested in fake beer.
Why risk it? Tastes like, looks like......
I spent long enough trying to forget about the stuff.:whoop

LDT 12-15-2012 04:04 PM

Reminds me of the saying..... " if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....."

Boleo 12-15-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720011)
^ .5%, not 5%...just pointing that out cuz its a huge difference relatively speaking.

I never was satisfied with one or two beers. Drinking one or two NA beers would only remind of that fact.

Non-Alcoholic beer is for Non-Alcoholic people.

Ghostly 12-15-2012 07:14 PM

Boleo - Did you mean to quote me in your post?

* EDIT * Just like that, the post above this disappeared... oddly enough, I originally wrote about how that was going to happen.

Boleo 12-15-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720367)
Boleo - Did you mean to quote me in your post?

I was merely trying to point out that for a alcoholic like me, two of anything never would satisfy my appetite, regardless of alcohol content.

Two 5% or .5% are equally useless to me. It would only trigger a craving for more, lots more.

Ghostly 12-15-2012 07:54 PM

^ Oh, ok, gotcha. I didn't see the correlation.

sugarbear1 12-15-2012 09:15 PM

some people are so sensitive to alcohol that some perfumes shouldn't be used.

the kindling effect is real.

Kevah 12-15-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720011)

That certainly is. lol Thank you for pointing that out :) I was a little shocked that 5% was considered non alcoholic.

Spawn 12-16-2012 04:41 PM

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics!

TrixMixer 12-17-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 3721638)
Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics!

Hi Spawn,

Did you know that ? I did not, and I think their should be a warning attached.

I have been sober for 25 years and if "the light did not go off" I might be back to drinking again. I have not had a beer for 3 nights now and the first night it really bothered me.

I was not aware of any "kindling" effect until I read it here. I thought "non-alcoholic beers" were safe as a substitute for having a drink with others without the worry of alcohol.How about if I continued to drink these beers, went back to the hard stuff, and hurt someone in an accident. I think a company like this could be libel. A warning should be placed that say's just that "non-alcoholic drinks are for NON-ALCOHOLICS ONLY"

Brian1 12-17-2012 11:44 AM

Seriously, there needs to be some warning. .5%? so about 10 of those equals an alcoholic beer, interesting.

choublak 12-17-2012 11:57 AM

What's the point though? To look like you're actually drinking beer?

Brian1 12-17-2012 12:05 PM

Some people like the taste of beer itself regardless of if there is alcohol in it.

TrixMixer 12-17-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by choublak (Post 3722768)
What's the point though? To look like you're actually drinking beer?

Yeah, well that's a way to really simplify things. Who cares that you look like your drinking a beer, are we like 12??? It is a problem because there are people whose drink of choice WAS beer, and they may think since it is Advertised as non-alcoholic they can switch to that.

Look I have been sober a looong time and it got ME, just from starting with one before dinner or with my meal. All the alcoholic signals came back---Not telling my husband when I had 2, or when I had one regardless of weather I had dinner.I needed to have at least 2 six packs in the house, and got really nervous when down to one bottle. Basically all the signs of an alcoholic covering up their need to seem to not NEED that drink.

.....and Brian is absolutely right there are people who LIKE the taste of an ice cold beer....and this tastes exactly like regular beer.:tapping

TrixMixer 12-17-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by brian1 (Post 3722777)
some people like the taste of beer itself regardless of if there is alcohol in it.

exactly!!

isinganyway 12-18-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3720472)
some people are so sensitive to alcohol that some perfumes shouldn't be used.

the kindling effect is real.

I've definitely walked past people using hand sanitizer or spritzing perfume and had the "mmm... vodka" thought pass through my head. then i remember that i was willingly ingesting something that smelled like hand sanitizer!!!

TrixMixer 12-19-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by isinganyway (Post 3725243)
I've definitely walked past people using hand sanitizer or spritzing perfume and had the "mmm... vodka" thought pass through my head.then i remember that i was willingly ingesting something that smelled like hand sanitizer!!!

Isinganyway,

EEEEWWWW!!!!! thanks for the hand sanitizer thing. Had a good laugh at that one!

hamabi 12-19-2012 07:57 AM

I really liked regular beer a lot back then too, know what you mean.

I also liked what drinking high-octane mouthwash did for me. But sober I don't drink low-alcohol content mouthwash.

Drinking alcoholic beverages was always about the alcohol they contained (the more the better). Drinking a little of something that seems almost the same as what almost killed me isn't tempting, but I've no opinion on how much of it others may choose to drink and their motives for drinking substitutes for their old favorites doesn't interest me.

We each make our own decisions on this question and on so many other things that can help or hurt us.

TSDD 12-19-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by LDT (Post 3720042)
Interesting.....this is not a comment for or against non-alcoholic beverages. But I'm curious..if one is to be worried about .5% alcohol in a beverage, then would that same person be worried about the .1% alcohol that exists in some fruit juices ( as in orange and apple juice ). I've read that water intoxication would occur before an actual "high".

Don't get the mouthwash thing.....but to each his own :) Whatever works.

If you had a peanut allergy would you worry about something that possibly only had a quarter of a peanut in it?

Never heard of alcohol in fruit juice, but half a percent in fake beer is pretty much 6 of them = a real one which is more than I'd roll the dice with.

After a night knocking down a few fake beers you can lock yourself in the closet for 10 hours and smoke little bits of sheet-rock or shooting up saline solution. (see what I did there?)

Corvus 12-25-2012 05:24 PM

See, I always wondered why I didn't like the scent of hand sanitiser...now I know [vodka = bad bad bad].

I guess whether NA beer is good or bad for the individual is up to the reasons why someone started drinking in the first place. Like, I wouldn't see myself being drawn to drink again just because something looks and tastes like an alcoholic beverage [sparkling fruit juices also come to mind] but then again, my reasons for drinking are not based around the physical sensations that come with drinking.

CAPTAINZING2000 12-26-2012 01:46 PM

I didn't read every comment but, if you have to ask, you probably should abstain from them..

TrixMixer 01-05-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 (Post 3736115)
I didn't read every comment but, if you have to ask, you probably should abstain from them..

Hi Captainzing,

This thread was started to tell people who are Alcoholics NOT to drink "non-alcoholic" advertised drinks. They could contribute to a relapse.

I am still having urges to have an O'doul's three weeks after I stopped because I felt the Kindeling Effect taking over. This beer could have started the ball rolling after Many years of sobriety.

It is not the alcohol content .05% it is the ritual of it looking, tasting, smelling like the real thing that gets you back into that alcoholic mindset....at least for me it was.

There should be a warning stating "non alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics only"

Sincerely,
TrixMixer