SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Non-Alcoholic Beers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/277615-non-alcoholic-beers.html)

TrixMixer 12-15-2012 11:35 AM

Non-Alcoholic Beers

Hi Guys,

Just began drinking O'Doul's non-alcoholic beer. Thought it tasted just like the real thing, even though beer was not my drink of choice!

Do not try them--they will get the addiction ball rolling again--don't take the chance

Stupid me wondered why I was beginning to really look forward to my 6pm beer before dinner, actually thinking about having 2. This has been for the last month, now Stupid me finds that Non-Alcoholic beers are for Non-Alcoholics only. Just that 0.5% alcohol is enough to get our genetics to kick in and before you know it --bye, bye, sobriety. This is after 30 years---Yikes--of course this is out of my house now, but what was I thinking:a043:

logo 12-15-2012 01:41 PM

Drink enough of them and you will get high. Logo

Kevah 12-15-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TrixMixer (Post 3719839)
that 0.5% alcohol is enough to get our genetics to kick in and before you know it --bye, bye, sobriety. This is after 30 years---Yikes--of course this is out of my house now, but what was I thinking:a043:

I have friends who won't even use regular mouthwash because of the alcohol % in it. They ask "Why tempt it?" I guess I'd have to agree. Same with NyQuil. I didn't notice the alcohol % and only recently found out about it. Honestly, though, I didn't know Odouls had 5% alcohol in it. I would have thought that non-alcoholic beer was non-alcoholic. LOL

Ghostly 12-15-2012 02:56 PM

^ .5%, not 5%...just pointing that out cuz its a huge difference relatively speaking.

LDT 12-15-2012 03:24 PM

Interesting.....this is not a comment for or against non-alcoholic beverages. But I'm curious..if one is to be worried about .5% alcohol in a beverage, then would that same person be worried about the .1% alcohol that exists in some fruit juices ( as in orange and apple juice ). I've read that water intoxication would occur before an actual "high".

Don't get the mouthwash thing.....but to each his own :) Whatever works.

Dee74 12-15-2012 03:34 PM

The fruit juice argument is a bit of a red herring for me I'm afraid.

I don't drink NA beer because it looks like beer, feels like a can of beer, it smells like beer, it has that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tastes like beer....

Then I used to wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

D

tomsteve 12-15-2012 03:40 PM

personally it wouldnt matter to me it it was 0% alcohol. i find it not wise to ask the lord to lead me from temptation, then walk into it.

LDT 12-15-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks for that input D. I'm definitely not trying to stir anything up. I have just always wondered where a person draws a line. I suppose it's different for everyone.

Hollyanne 12-15-2012 04:01 PM

I would prefer a cup of tea!

Not interested in fake beer.
Why risk it? Tastes like, looks like......
I spent long enough trying to forget about the stuff.:whoop

LDT 12-15-2012 04:04 PM

Reminds me of the saying..... " if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....."

Boleo 12-15-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720011)
^ .5%, not 5%...just pointing that out cuz its a huge difference relatively speaking.

I never was satisfied with one or two beers. Drinking one or two NA beers would only remind of that fact.

Non-Alcoholic beer is for Non-Alcoholic people.

Ghostly 12-15-2012 07:14 PM

Boleo - Did you mean to quote me in your post?

* EDIT * Just like that, the post above this disappeared... oddly enough, I originally wrote about how that was going to happen.

Boleo 12-15-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720367)
Boleo - Did you mean to quote me in your post?

I was merely trying to point out that for a alcoholic like me, two of anything never would satisfy my appetite, regardless of alcohol content.

Two 5% or .5% are equally useless to me. It would only trigger a craving for more, lots more.

Ghostly 12-15-2012 07:54 PM

^ Oh, ok, gotcha. I didn't see the correlation.

sugarbear1 12-15-2012 09:15 PM

some people are so sensitive to alcohol that some perfumes shouldn't be used.

the kindling effect is real.

Kevah 12-15-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostly (Post 3720011)

That certainly is. lol Thank you for pointing that out :) I was a little shocked that 5% was considered non alcoholic.

Spawn 12-16-2012 04:41 PM

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics!

TrixMixer 12-17-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 3721638)
Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics!

Hi Spawn,

Did you know that ? I did not, and I think their should be a warning attached.

I have been sober for 25 years and if "the light did not go off" I might be back to drinking again. I have not had a beer for 3 nights now and the first night it really bothered me.

I was not aware of any "kindling" effect until I read it here. I thought "non-alcoholic beers" were safe as a substitute for having a drink with others without the worry of alcohol.How about if I continued to drink these beers, went back to the hard stuff, and hurt someone in an accident. I think a company like this could be libel. A warning should be placed that say's just that "non-alcoholic drinks are for NON-ALCOHOLICS ONLY"

Brian1 12-17-2012 11:44 AM

Seriously, there needs to be some warning. .5%? so about 10 of those equals an alcoholic beer, interesting.

choublak 12-17-2012 11:57 AM

What's the point though? To look like you're actually drinking beer?