SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Recovering Addicts, I Need Your Help. Do I Quit This Friendship, or Not? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/376363-recovering-addicts-i-need-your-help-do-i-quit-friendship-not.html)

Bumblebee90 10-15-2015 04:04 PM

Teatreeoil, thanks so much! When I'm posting on here, it is so much easier to see things from a more clear perspective. I appreciate your responses so much!

I've talked to so many people that have struggled with addictions over the years, that it's almost become old hat to me. I have no problems or real awkwardness discussing anything about drug use...which is fantastic in some ways, but not so great in others. I'm afraid I've kinda lost touch with reality...it's easy for me to forget that I'm not the norm. When I try to talk to people about these personal things some of them (like my friend), instantly think that I'm going to freak out at them or judge them because that's what they are used to. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but I think I need to remember to be very patient with some people when it comes to opening up. Some folks may trust me the day we meet, while it may take others years.

teatreeoil007 10-17-2015 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bumblebee90 (Post 5601522)
Teatreeoil, thanks so much! When I'm posting on here, it is so much easier to see things from a more clear perspective. I appreciate your responses so much!

I've talked to so many people that have struggled with addictions over the years, that it's almost become old hat to me. I have no problems or real awkwardness discussing anything about drug use...which is fantastic in some ways, but not so great in others. I'm afraid I've kinda lost touch with reality...it's easy for me to forget that I'm not the norm. When I try to talk to people about these personal things some of them (like my friend), instantly think that I'm going to freak out at them or judge them because that's what they are used to. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but I think I need to remember to be very patient with some people when it comes to opening up. Some folks may trust me the day we meet, while it may take others years.

Bumblebee!

I've been meaning to get back to this and have just been busy with work the past few days.

I really appreciate what you wrote. It's great to know that you don't judge people and have good knowledge about drugs and addiction.

I have a fairly large working knowledge of drugs and addiction as well! It's an issue I've dealt with extensively, in fact.

So true that people do assume they will be judge and than shunned and can sort of be freaked out about it. I guess the reality is that there are many people in this world who DO judge and shun...nice to know there are those who don't do that!

Just last night I was talking to a lady who had been on a major guilt trip which contributed to insomnia simply because she had been taking one hydrocodone a night for generalized aches and pain associated with being elderly and just having more very REAL physical pain. One hydro: WOOO hoooo. (being sarcastic).

Come to find out her primary care doctor gave her a long lecture about the ills of opiates, and stuff and she was under the impression that she was a BAD person for taking what little hydro she was for a very valid reason, in my opinion.

I tried my best to simply convey to her that she needent worry about such things as far as I was concerned. She nearly broke down in tears due to the RELEASE of emotions she had been holding inside...mainly guilt and shame...I realized that helping a person release guilt and shame is an act of LOVE. (sort of an ahhh haaaah moment for me...)

Blessed Be...

(smile)

teatreeoil007 10-17-2015 11:14 PM

I should probably add here that over the years I learned to exercise great control of my tongue when it comes to confidentiality. In my view it's not only important, but can be critical.

There is a lot of shame involved with addiction and mental illness. If people don't feel you are trustworthy to open up to it's hard to be in a place to help them.

:tyou