SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Secular Newcomers' Discussion Thread (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/263526-secular-newcomers-discussion-thread.html)

Lenina 08-29-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble (Post 3555208)
Posterity? My oh my, I feel like maybe I should put on a tie. Or at least some socks.

I don't care where this goes, so long as Robby brings along that AV sniper rifle of his.

Sheesh R&A, please don't make me feel underdressed in my muumuu and clogs!

I'd be proud to carry Robby's ammo box!

love from Lenina

Lenina 08-29-2012 10:36 PM

Also, maybe it's just residual AA teachings or my own concept of Karma or Something but I feel like I want to help other people. Nothing wrong with AA but it just wasn't the best fit for me. I wonder if I might have found sobriety and peace much sooner if I'd understood about the Beast and Addictive Voice.

If I can point someone in what feels like the right direction to them, I want to do so.

Love from Lenina

blueshades 08-29-2012 10:43 PM

Welcome, Veggie! I've been logging in for over a month and have not even scratched the surface of learning about secular recovery methods. Checking these boards is a good start though - - a lot of nice folks here.

Dalek 08-29-2012 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble (Post 3555208)
I don't care where this goes, so long as Robby brings along that AV sniper rifle of his.

Indeed.

Nicely done, all, but especially RobbyRobot. It is most unusual, in my experience, for a self-proclaimed AA member to be able to explain AVRT so accurately. Appreciated and duly noted.

The idea of "cutting back" or moderating is, by definition, AV, since it supports the future use of alcohol/drugs, but Trimpey also commented on what he called the "Moderation Commitment Effect" in an old article, which was cited early on in the main AVRT discussion thread. For those interested, I recommend reading through the thread, and I second freshstart's suggestion to post any AVRT-specific questions on there.

Moderation Commitment Effect --

discTosser 08-30-2012 12:04 AM

NA/AA is working for me.
I've just made the program my higher power. I can say step 2 (where I am) with conviction.

Dalek 08-30-2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Auvers (Post 3554862)
I just wondered if there was a basis in human development psychology of the AVRT model?

There may be parallels, but AVRT is "street-wise" recovery, a throwback to the old days before psychology ever existed as a discipline, and before psychologists ever got into the recovery game. The basis for AVRT is the self-recovered population itself, and Trimpey has referred to AVRT as something he "essentially picked up off the street".

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey
Although I discovered and named the Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, or AVRT, I did not invent it, nor did I synthesize it from existing theories and practices in the fields of psychology or addiction treatment. AVRT was taught to me in a very direct way by the hundreds of clients who have come through the program.

Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction, Pg. 14 ("Origins of AVRT").

onlythetruth 08-30-2012 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lenina (Post 3555317)
Also, maybe it's just residual AA teachings or my own concept of Karma or Something but I feel like I want to help other people. Nothing wrong with AA but it just wasn't the best fit for me. I wonder if I might have found sobriety and peace much sooner if I'd understood about the Beast and Addictive Voice.

If I can point someone in what feels like the right direction to them, I want to do so.

Love from Lenina

AA hardly has a monopoly on the human desire to help others! Personally, I think that getting the word out that recovery is not one-size-fits all is extremely helpful. It would have helped me, had I known this early on.

RobbyRobot 08-30-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dalek (Post 3555349)
Indeed.

Nicely done, all, but especially RobbyRobot. It is most unusual, in my experience, for a self-proclaimed AA member to be able to explain AVRT so accurately. Appreciated and duly noted.

Thanks, Dalek. And thanks out to R&A, and Lenina, OTT, and freshstart, too. Awesome. I'm beaming, lol. :)

Little did I know during my detox, born from my hate and fear of being drunk, when I spontaneously created into my psyche back in July of 1981 the idea "I will never ever drink again" that I was in fact making a Big Plan. :)

Originally Posted by Dalek
There may be parallels, but AVRT is "street-wise" recovery, a throwback to the old days before psychology ever existed as a discipline, and before psychologists ever got into the recovery game. The basis for AVRT is the self-recovered population itself, and Trimpey has referred to AVRT as something he "essentially picked up off the street".

Yes, this explains my own early understanding of the basics of AVRT too. RR:TNC really details and clarifies my own understandings, and provides a way of shop-talking with AVRT. Awesome book by Jack Trimpey. :)

I have always separated my mind from my alcoholic addictive mind, ever since my detox, and so decades later, AVRT is absolutely at home with me. I'm almost finished the book. I like to meditate with its wealth of knowledge and techniques.

I have also discovered that AA and AVRT do not play well together philosophically, lol, and I've no good reason to synthesize either of them into one whole understanding. They work best when left to their own understandings. I still enjoy the results. :)