SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections for Friends and Family (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections-friends-family/)
-   -   It's all about me Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections-friends-family/359246-its-all-about-me-part-3-a.html)

BlueChair 02-16-2015 10:48 AM

:a122::c033::crypig:bananadan:ValA002:

Congrats Clean! 30 days no smokey sticks! Yayyyyy!

So proud of you.

Will have to look for Biscoff havent had it, must be really good.

I didnt get Presidents day off! Its not fair, there is too much injustice in the world!

PinkCloudsCharley 02-16-2015 11:00 AM

Wonderful Clean!! So proud of you!! I'm sorry today is a hard day for you, I'll send up a prayer that the cravings get easier to deal with. 30 days tho, Clean - you can do this today!! You've got this!

We're all sick here again too, Clean. It's been a rough year for colds and flus!!

Blue, I worry about the same thing. Since h has a tendency to use things as crutches, I also don't want him to develop a crutch towards meetings. The counsellor is helping him to realize when he gets frustrated and that's something we're working on together, him telling me when he's overwhelmed and then us kind of working to decrease the feelings. It's very much like an anxiety attack, you've mentioned that before and I've told our counselor about the similarities.

Butter, how are you today?

Off to watch Dora with Ds :)

BlueChair 02-16-2015 12:01 PM

Dora the Explorer! He sounds so cute!

Clean, your box is full

I looked up Biscoff, omg its made from COOKIES. Im going to buy some.

I feel cheated! I should have this holiday off. I may demand we all take a longer long lunch than we usually do, and then leave early. Or we order Biscoff, Nutella and crepes.

Something came to me from online, it was a funny thing of examples of what drunk people do. One was this letter someone wrote drunk saying please wake me up for work tomorrow, not sure I still have a job but in case i do. Why would I not?
Something like demanded boss buy me a big mac, then threw it at him, tossed phone out boss car window while we were driving, but in case I still do have my job please wake me up I want to be on time.

Tiredofdrugs 02-16-2015 01:30 PM

Hi everyone!

Yes CleaninLI we got slammed with sleet last night! Nothing as bad as Eyes and Butter are dealing with though. I had to go outside to convince Magnum it was okay to go off the porch to go potty. He wouldn't come out for Jethro! LOL He wouldn't go past the clear spots though. So off into the white stuff I venture so he'd follow me! House shoes and sleet don't go well together! It worked though! Magnum took off quickly to do his business and then came right back to me. He was looking at me as if to say: "I'm done Mom! Are you done out here? Can we go back on the porch now?" LOL

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psker8vmny.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psxsdgeaig.jpg

TOD

cleaninLI 02-16-2015 03:31 PM

Awe how cute of Magnam! That reminds me of Dova. He does not want to go outside for any length of time. Lol I love the pics!

We got pretty lucky I guess. It must have moved further north to butter and eyes. That's ok, we'll sit this one out! Ha!
Oh Blue you made me laugh! Don't worry it looks like the only people getting a day off today are the kids. I'm certainly not! Lol YES Soverylost!!!! It has been a horrible year for colds and flu! I feel like one of us has been sick daily since November! Ugh! Thanks for your congrats guys! 30 days is huge for me! I better run over to the 24 hour nicotine thread and post that. Forgot! Whoops!

I just announced my 30 days here at home. But I told them I am still getting cravings. My husband says that's great but that's too bad about the cravings and as soon as cravings go away we will celebrate with something special? I just looked at him like what does that mean? Can someone explain his thinking for me? Lol

Was that an attempt to bribe my cravings away? I wonder if they listened?

Tiredofdrugs 02-16-2015 03:50 PM

Jethro went out the back door to go check the mail. He came back up the steps and told me to come out the door! I stepped out on the porch and he pointed. The picture shows what was looking at us! I had Jethro take it some food!

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...pslfzn8yrr.jpg

TOD

cleaninLI 02-16-2015 04:01 PM

Oh no! Where do you think it came from? Neighbors maybe? Not good for your chickens right?

It's crazy but having a bunny has brought a whole different perspective in me. I'm forever looking out for possible predators. Lol

PinkCloudsCharley 02-16-2015 04:07 PM

Lol Clean that sounds wonderful!! I am always in the mood to celebrate! You know, I used to let things go by without giving them the attention they deserve but I've learned we need to celebrate every thing, no matter how big or small they are. And quitting smoking is definitely something big!

Blue, I like your idea of mapping out those times h becomes overwhelmed or frustrated. It will help me to understand better what's going on, and there may be a time when I can share it with H. Jan was such a good month but Im really thinking you hit the nail on the head with that PAWS.

Tod, is magnum a dog? Our dog doesn't like to go outside in the snow either. We actually got him a diaper, it's a band he wears around his midsection and we put an adult incontinence pad in there (try explaining that to the person at the checkout, lol, "ya we buy these for our dog, honest...") but that way, when it's too cold or at night, he can just go in his diaper.

BlueChair 02-16-2015 04:12 PM

Its a kitty! Awwww, did he run away or let u feed him? Must be hard on outdoor animals because you have a lot of warm weather and then boom sleet and ice. I hope he gets a full tummy of food.

Clean maybe he thought you wouldnt feel like celebrating now because the cravings make u feel bad, so he assumed u would want to wait until you felt better. If I made his comment, its what I would mean.

Im sooo proud of you for sticking with it and I know its not been easy at times. Im really happy you reached this goal, and hope the cravings do get better soon. Its a good thing your teaching the kids too, they learn from watching parents face challenges like this, it teaches them valuable life lessons.

Im bummed, we went out at lunch and my boss said sure buy us some snacks, and I couldnt find the Biscoff. I was like no, we will wait until I find it. So I didnt buy anything for our snack. Instead I put a bounty out for Biscoff and we will see from work can locate it! Hopefully by tomorrow because now I want it!

Tiredofdrugs 02-16-2015 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cleaninLI (Post 5205867)
Oh no! Where do you think it came from? Neighbors maybe? Not good for your chickens right?

We have stray cats here all the time! Last week I had a Calico cat climbing the tree outside my window! I sent it running! Cats roam! They follow the scents of rabbits, mice, rats, etc and end up all over the place. This one might belong to our neighbors two houses over. It could have gotten trapped under Jethro's barn when it started sleeting. It meowed at Jethro when he stepped off the porch. If it's been under his barn for over a day now? It was hungry! It ate quickly and is now gone back under the barn.

Jethro said it looked healthy and fed. So I'd say it belongs to a neighbor. I've seen this colored cat before around the yard.

The neighbors I think that it belongs to doesn't spay or neuter! The wife of the house isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer either. I'm being nice saying it that way too!

I found a pile of bird feathers in front of Maria's outside pen the other day. It could have been this cat or another that got it. So NO I don't want any cats in the yard. They will go after a chicken if they are hungry and think they can take it down.

TOD

Tiredofdrugs 02-16-2015 04:19 PM

Here's Mr Magnum with little tiny Maria behind himself!

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psjvxfgmjj.jpg

TOD

buttercup89 02-16-2015 04:22 PM

Congratulations on your 30 Days clean :) That is super awesome! Keep adding those days, you're doing great !!!!

cleaninLI 02-16-2015 06:37 PM

Hello again guys. Good luck Blue! Hope you can find that spread. Their website says you can buy it at Wallmart or whole foods if you have those near your house? I think my daughter picked it up at a deli though.

Oh ok TOD it looks like the kitty belongs to your neighbor then? Cute photo of Magnum! Amazing how calm they are next to one another. Thanks again SVL, Blue and butter! You guys are awesome! I asked my hubs why he said that. Lol hey I might as well ask right? He said he thought it might be one of those things that are mind over body? That if my brain knows I'm going to get something special, it will stop sending me the craving signals. I told him it's not one of those things I can shut off. I wish I could. he said you'd be surprised how much control we have over things that seem like we don't have control over. He said it's similar to pain signals and being able to use your brain to break those signals. Said it's a scientific fact that we have some level of control over things like that? It sort of reminds me of mindfulness which I do use to avoid anxiety and panic attacks. It works pretty well..but sometimes it's hard!

allforcnm 02-17-2015 01:08 AM

Congratulations Cleanin.. 30 days cigarette free.. it must feel so good.

Im sorry your still having cravings but I think its sort of understandable.. I do agree with what your husband said.. I think it has something to do with the power of positive thinking, looking to the future and not getting stuck in the past, mindfulness, actions follow thoughts, if you tell someone there is no hope then most people feel hopeless, if you tell people it cant be done then most people accept it cant be done.. and of these types of things..

Aren't you curious what the surprise is? I would be :)

Your Valentine Day Nutella Crepes sound really good... we all like Nutella too.. but I haven't heard of the other one.. Let us know if you find it Blue... how funny.. you put out a bounty for it.. What will happen if a whole bunch of people find it.. and what is the prize? LOL There are so many peanut butters these days.. all kinds of nuts.. we like honey too.. there are lots of varieties of honey and its good on a lot of things.

I will have to look up the crepe pan.. Ive never made them but I think I want to try now. That was really thoughtful of him to think of special non stick pan for making them ..

Ok somewhere on the old thread I think someone mentioned Toilet paper.. I cannot remember the context now.. LOL. but have any of you tried the new tubeless TP? Scott makes one brand and you know me I started buying it because its less waste.. It works really good, but its funny... my husband too it off the holder before it was gone and sat it there like those last few sheets were a roll. I said what are you doing, you can use all of it.. he forgot.. How can you forget when there is no cardboard in there? Our son gets a kick out of using the very last sheet and then its just gone'

Im sure that was valuable for all of you.. but who else can I tell this stuff to.. ?

TOD I replied to the cat on the animal planet thread.. I think we need to get you involved in TNR if the neighbor isn't spaying and neutering the cats.. this way they can be trapped/neutered and released back. Stick with me and I will have you loving cats...

We went out on Valentines day for dinner and a concert. He almost made it staying at grandparents but no.. we were headed home and got the call he was crying and missed his bed and where were we... so we went and got him; but he was so tired he just fell asleep in the car and barely woke up to get in his bed. He passed out Valentine hearts at church on Sunday.. he cant say Valentines too good.. but he was sure to tell people they were getting the heart for being nice. it was really cute.. I wanted to film it.. my husband said he captured part on his phone so that's good.

SVL - Im happy to hear you/husband had a nice evening out. Im sure it was nice to get into a different headspace... I sent you a pm but wanted to share here..my husband had quite a few emotional issues the first few months.. grumpy, anxious, focused on himself and his feelings a lot, and our son would stress him out if he cried. It did improve and I think it was part of WD, paws or something to do with regulating what was going on in his mind/body. Not sure if alcohol is exactly the same but reading some on Newcomers for example.. you often see a lot of emotion' in the posts.. people trying to regulate their emotions..

I know what I was going to ask you SVL.. do you get the Hallmark movie channels where you live? The Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is one channel that is showing the Heart to Heart show...

Butter, Im thinking of you.. I know this is a hard time just coming back to school. Glad you made it back safely.. Ive been seeing pics from around where you live on the weather channel.. My son would love to make a snowman.. I would like to make one too and do some Snow Angels.. :)

Blue, happy to hear cupid was good to you this year.. I think you've both come a long way in a years time... you really deserved a nice day. We would have to give him a nasty smile if he didn't come through for you.

Nice to see you back Eyes. Have you made a Snow Angel? LOL

I may have forgot something.. I got a little lost because of the new thread.. how are you feeling TOD?

Sorry so many of you are sick right now.. I guess its the changes in the weather?

Almost forgot.. Mr Legs hasn't been seen in 3 days.. and we looked and cant find him.. I will keep you posted.. my son is looking for him, not too upset because we told him he must have wandered off, and he has gone missing before.. not sure if I should say keep your fingers crossed.. or how I really feel about his being missing. Never planned on my son having a spider as a pal but its almost like hes part of the family now.. very strange I know.. but hes been around (or one who looks like the original) for over a year now..

cleaninLI 02-17-2015 06:31 AM

Awe sorry about Mr Leggs. I hope you find him! I must admit I feel rather close to him too. Having read reports on him for a year now...will miss him. :(

You know, when you guys mentioned your husbands feeling nervous when your sons cried and paws. I wonder how much of that is just being a man and a dad of a toddler? Because mine was the same way. Especially, with our first. He was very nervous...when our daughter cried...he'd panic and try to figure out what to do to make her stop. My son-in-law was the same way. He would quickly hand my grandson back to one of us whenever he cried. Saying it hurt his heart to hear him cry. So maybe men....wanting to fix things right away, feel a sense of powerlessness when they can't make the baby stop crying right away? SVL just thought maybe that is why it's hard for your husband to handle your son? Maybe he feels powerless and that makes him feel like he's less than or not a good person? That causes uncomfortable feelings that he doesn't like and feels the urge to drink to numb those feelings. So his getting up and going to a meeting basically removes him from the original source (his crying son) or cause of discomfort? So what would happen if he had a hobby within the home that he could go to? Or what if you or DD took your son into the next room when those feeling come up? The good thing is children grow out of these things.....and your son will not be as hard to manage as he is right now. Trust me...I've gone thru it with all four of my kids. Toddlers are the hardest....they may be the cutest too....so there are rewards but they are a challenge too. Don't think I don't understand you have feelings too and I'm sure you need a break or just help to do other things too. So I'm not making light of your feelings. Just wondering what could be done to turn a stressful triggering situation into a more relaxed one for your husband. I just think some men in general have trouble with these things.

PinkCloudsCharley 02-17-2015 10:22 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Mr Legs. I hope he turns up soon. It's strange what our children get attached to. In the summer Ds got attached to certain rocks. Course now that it's winter he's forgotten about them lol but when the snow is gone he'll find them again.

Tod Magnum is a cutie.

Clean how are you doing today? did you make it thru yhe cravings to a better day? not sure if cigarettes are the same but h was told cravings last 5-7 minutes, if you can make it thru those you've made it over the worst. Hugs to you!

Allfor, thank you for sharing that about your husband. And Clean I totally understand what you are saying, no worries! Sometimes I forget that H.let is still so newly sober and I expect him to be completely like he used to be. And i think i have forgotten a lot of when Dd was young. H was gone a lot when dd was young, and didn't really have to deal with her as a toddler. And i was a stay at home mom and dealt with everything. Plus this past month has been really the first time in Ds's life that H has been truly present. Whenever Ds would cry before, or noise got too much or even when it was just evening without any problems, h would disappear downstairs. In fact, a few weeks ago when Ds was crying for me H got upset that Ds only wanted me and I told him, he was never around in the evenings for Ds, I'm all he's used to for evenings and bedtime routines. So to expect him to jump right on with perfect patience during early recovery when he's admitted he's having some rough tines is pretty assumptive of me.

Butter, is this your first day back to school? Hope it goes well. Hugs.

We went to the Target Liquidation sale yesterday. Did I mention how disappointed I am in the whole Target thing? I loved Target in the US and they just didn't deliver. And they are the only ones who carry my favourite bras so I had to stock up. After Target Canada is gone I'll have to go back to going across the border to stock up on bras and tshirts :( So sad, I love US Target and really wish we could have had the same here.

PinkCloudsCharley 02-17-2015 10:25 AM

Also good idea Clean about the hobby for H. He's been wanting to set up his weights downstairs and that would be perfect, a stress reliever that he can escape to for a half hour or an hour when he gets overwhelmed. Plus the benefits would be he would feel so much better about himself, he gained so much weight this past year with all the drinking - a 26oz 4-5 times a week with a full 2l bottle of soda each time plus the late night booze munchies equals a hubby who doesn't feel so well about his weight now.

PinkCloudsCharley 02-17-2015 10:38 AM

I'm also getting behind in pm's! I'm so sorry! I'm not ignoring you, I can't keep up on my phone. Lol also being home with the kiddos is keeping me on my toes, I forget how much free time I have at work ;) shhhh, don't tell my boss that ;)

cleaninLI 02-17-2015 10:54 AM

Oh good soverylost, I'm happy you understand what I meant! Idk but sometimes I feel like I'm having trouble explaining myself and that is just totally frustrating me! Not sure if it's my internal voice telling me that it's really true? But it bothers me when I need five or more sentences trying to explain something! I really admire the people like Dee and TE who can tell it all in one sentence! Lol My 25 year old is like that.

Oh that reminds me of something funny. I always did well on the essay questions that required a lot of words to answer. I noticed (at least for my professors) that the more I wrote the more likely I would come up with the correct answer. Lol My daughter was the type who hated to write so she figured out the way to arrive to the correct answer in as few words as possible! Lol I guess both are fine? But you know the grass is always greener on the other side! Lol

Soverylost the kitchen was my go to room and still is. I pour myself into cooking when I feel stressed or loopy! Lol but your hubs is right, the cravings don't last too long. So that is good!
I like the idea of his working out when stressed. It's actually the best thing he can do for his recovery and his health! I remember taking long walks quite a bit too! Does your husband like forums? Do you think a place like SR would benefit him?

Alright, trying to get some much needed laundry done today. Already went out to shovel the driveway so the mail carrier could deliver. It snowed five inches this morning. Not too bad and the snow was that light and powdery type. I sure feel for Eyes and Butter and those up in Boston and the New England states as well as down south. I heard that DC was shut down do to snow and freezing rain! I know down south they aren't as equipped to handle the snow. I have an SR friend down in Alabama haven't heard from her for awhile. I better send her a pm.

Ok...Blue...Allfor..rise and shine it's morning! Lol just teasing you!

cleaninLI 02-17-2015 11:01 AM

Oh soverylost, I know exactly what you mean! When kids are home forget about it! Lol plus phone? Even worse! Lol

Is it Mardi Gras today? Not even sure if I spelled that right? Lol just saw something about it on TV. We don't really celebrate....but people do. So happy Mardi Gras for those who do!:a122::Dance7::MusBand:

BlueChair 02-17-2015 11:30 AM

Clean LOOK what kind of influence you have on me. I stopped at my favorite local store on my way home from work yesterday and I found Biscoff and all these other goodies!

Husbunny was soo excited when he got home from his counseling because those are his favorite cookies in there, along with his favorite cashew butter. And I bought two Biscoff's: one for us to try and one for work (but two other people brought in jars so I kept mine hidden!). OMG now I see why you were loving it, taste like cookies. Husbunny said, its like pureed cookies. Its rich too! I bought croissants for us, and some for work today. Here at work we"ve all been snacking on Biscoff and Nutella ! Oh for the bounty we had a $20 itunes card. We put the names of the two people who brought in jars of Biscoff and picked the winner. Then my boss felt sorry for the one who didnt get picked and he gave a runner up prize of a $10 giftcard for our little food place located in the building. It was fun and yummy, thank you Clean!

http://i57.tinypic.com/1zl99cp.jpg

BlueChair 02-17-2015 11:46 AM

Sovery, reminds me you guys wanted to give the basement a makeover ? Taking part of it for a home gym would be fun. Mr Blue found it helpful to get on the treadmill or some other activity like that when he had trouble sleeping, or felt anxious and usually moving, being active, some relaxing interest ( for husbunny NOT pouring through work he brings home) helped.

When I first went through the gylos book, he wasnt using anything but had the bad anxiety so I questioned if I could practice mapping those behaviors in the same way. It was clear outside forces did increase his anxiety, and some things could help reduce the severity. But it was confusing for me, and once he became anxious it was hard for him to rationally calm himself because he would feel panicked and thoughts were racing, or then he would get depressed. I went to smart too and asked, and they were like great idea, dont see why not. Ha! My husbands doctor kept talking to noth of us about the benefits of derailing it early so I felt I had nothing to lose. So you could try it, at least it will maybe show you advance warning signs so you can prepare yourself emotionally. Batten down the hatches!

Exercise helped me too!

Tod I found an article about how happy cows produce better milk, Im going to share it with you. I bet its true for chickens too. You havent said if you collect eggs from the chickens?

Haha, just 5" of snow today Clean, oh not much at all! You guys have more snow this season than they had in the mountains when we were on vacation!

Miss you Butter!

Ok so if the men get scared of babies crying, what happens if the mom gets scared!

BlueChair 02-17-2015 11:54 AM

Heres the article on cows!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l?#post5207568

cleaninLI 02-17-2015 12:20 PM

Wow Blue I'm impressed looks like we have similar taste...now you are influencing me to run out for Almond Butter!! Yum yum! Plus more of the Biscoff! Lol we finished it already!
OMG gotta get some crescents too.

Yes your husband is correct it's like puréed Biscoff cookies! They have crunchy too but I prefer the creamy one! Butter are you sure you've never had it? They may call it spekulatius cookie spread in Europe?

So you are spreading the love thru-out your work? That was a cool idea Blue! Hide yours for now anyway! You could always bring it out when you need a lift in moral or when everyone is stressed out. ;)

cleaninLI 02-17-2015 12:24 PM

It makes sense that happy cows would produce better healthier milk so why wouldn't happy chickens produce better eggs? I believe it!

BlueChair 02-17-2015 12:53 PM

The Biscoff I got said creamy too. I noticed it when I hot home but dont know if the store had crunchy? What would the crunchy be? Chunks of cookie?

We try to do fun things at work when we can to pass the time. Haha they say happy employees are more productive! I know coworkers are more pleasant to be around when filled with Nutella and Biscoff! I think the jars I got had like 14 ounces, its smaller than a peanut butter jar.

We ate one pack of cookies last night. I think it was about 1000 calories per pack, and I was telling him this and he said " you had some too" I did but maybe 300 calories vs 700! Plus we each had a croissant and biscoff, and opened another pack of a different cookie. All after our dinner! I was a wild piggy last night!

Tiredofdrugs 02-17-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cleaninLI (Post 5207645)
It makes sense that happy cows would produce better healthier milk so why wouldn't happy chickens produce better eggs? I believe it!

I gave Blue an answer on AP to the cows!
There are farms that are starting to go Free Range with their chickens. Chickens are happier and produce better eggs. It takes a lot of land and a lot of fencing to do that though.

I don't get eggs anymore! Molly, my avatar girl, will lay one here and there. It doesn't matter to me. We aren't big egg eaters and love our feathered kids!

TOD

PinkCloudsCharley 02-17-2015 02:35 PM

These Biscoff things sound dangerous! I'm going to try to look for them, I've never seen them before, I wonder if we can get them here in Canada? Where are they, usually by the Nutella and peanut butter, or by the cookies? Lol just when H and I have decided to eat cleaner!

Clean I always understand what you are saying, no worries. It's easy when I know everyone has everyone else's best interests at heart! And that's one reason I love this place!

Blue, that's exactly the idea h had, making a mini home gym in the basement. It's not as hard to go down there now that he isn't down there every night, so I'm hoping to make some use out if it too.

Tiredofdrugs 02-17-2015 02:50 PM

Hi SVL: I'm not a Target shopper! However? Can't you go online to order anything your heart desires from them? I order my shampoo and conditioner online now since it's no longer carried in the stores.

TOD

Tiredofdrugs 02-17-2015 03:01 PM

Jethro went to warm the leftover steak up a little while ago! What a surprise he got! LOL

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...pscagrnqfv.jpg

TOD