SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Nicotine/Smoking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/)
-   -   Smoking sucks. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/380763-smoking-sucks.html)

thestruggle86 12-11-2015 11:36 AM

Smoking sucks.

Hey guys! I am brand new to this forum. I am a recovering alcoholic, who also suffers from depression and anxiety.

I would really like to quit smoking, but I just can't do it. I've been a smoker for about 16 years. I am currently on Wellbutrin & Cymbalta (for depression), and I have tried the patch and gum with no long term success.

When I attempt to quit smoking, my mood goes way down. Like, scary down. I also get angry and intolerable rather quickly. I practice mindfulness meditation, which has helped me not to blow up on others, but that just means I walk around with clenched teeth and end up screaming at my steering wheel or something inanimate hahaha. I never last more than a week before I pick up again, and my mood instantly returns to normal- which, with 2 years of sobriety and being on proper medication, is generally cheerful and even tempered.

Even though I am in good physical shape and make enough money to afford the habit, I would really like to quit. I know how horrible it is for my health. Also, it messes with my ability to call myself a sober person. Am I really sober when I buy a drug (nicotine) that I am addicted to every day, and use it to psychoactively regulate my mood?

My therapist has been trying a bunch of different techniques with me, but nothing is working. It makes me feel like a loser, honestly. I know addiction is a disease and all, but I feel like I could (should?) be doing more/making more of an effort. I wish there were meetings for nicotine addiction. I didn't really do AA for drinking, but I could sure use something like that for smoking. I was a very heavy drinker, but I walked away from the bottle and drugs with relative ease. This is so much harder.

Anyway, I really just needed to vent. Any advice and support will be much appreciated. Also, feel free to vent as well. I got your back :)

Cheers, guy!!!

endlesspatience 12-11-2015 12:04 PM

Glad you posted about this. I smoked for longer than 16 years but I gave up in the summer of 2015. I no longer have any desire to smoke. So first, let me share a couple of thoughts which might add to your motivation.

Smoking is something only a few people do. Here in the UK, the smoking level is 19 percent but it's skewed heavily towards people who are uneducated and poor. Sorry to be blunt about it but that's how it is. I know you can find some examples of clever rich smokers but it still carries social stigma.

It's not just the cost of buying the cigarettes. It's the huge cost professionally that only now begins to sink in. In my professional environment smokers were never promoted. Rather than telling you why, I will let you ponder on the reasons for that.

The other you talk about is depression. Let me say that if you do quit smoking successfully and replace it with more rewarding things, it will give you a huge mood boost. It's not what you give up here that is important (the coughing, stigma and cost) but it's what you gain - a terrific sense of achievement. You can then go on and tackle other things in your life that you want to change, such as depression if that's an issue.

These are the two things I did to quit. I read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way To Give Up Smoking. I properly read it, making notes. I then went through the notes with a non smoking friend. I then read it again.

I told my doctor I wanted to quit (even though part of me didn't). I got an enormous amount of support and I found all kinds of tools are available for people who want to quit.

Today I worked out at the gym for an hour and didn't feel the slightest amount of breathing problem. I had my weight, blood pressure and cholestrol checked a year after quitting and I'm back in good shape.

You absoulutely can quit and you absolutely must. Posting here is a huge step in the right direction so I know you can take the next few fairly easy steps to get it out of your system. Trust me, once you're out of the trap you will rejoice and your mood will go up.

Lorax1981 12-11-2015 03:47 PM

Just gotta get past that 2,3,4 week mark. Then I bet your mood will start to even out. Smokes are really tough to quit, I was so pissed off for the first little while. Like in the cartoons with steam coming out of my ears. Smoke the last one in your pack when you're ready and smush it in the ash tray and say "that was the last one". Then each day buy a nice smelling hair gel or cologne/perfume for scent reinforcement. I remember really getting down when I was having my morning cup of coffee cuz it just wasn't the same without a smoke (same with my nightly 6 pack) but it got better. Good luck buddy, sounds like you're making some great improvements and should feel good about that when the going gets tough cuz you know that the tough get goin'!

thestruggle86 12-11-2015 06:14 PM

Wow! You two folks are really amazing. Thank you so much for keeping it real, and for the kind words and advice. I actually just got a huge boost in my mood by reading all of that. I think I'm going to smoke my last cigarette tomorrow and just try to ride out the withdrawals. I'm also going to buy that Allan Carr book, as I've heard so many good things about it from a lot of folks. I've actually picked up two new hobbies, running and playing the bass guitar (I used to play, but I'm just getting back into it after a few years), so I'll try to focus on those to keep myself occupied.

gettingsmarter 12-11-2015 06:46 PM

Hi thestruggle68
Agreed it definitely sucks. Quitting is possible. I was a 15 year 30 cig a day smoker and did it. The first week is the worst. There are some free quit smoking phone apps that show you how your body is improving once you quit. You can do it.

thestruggle86 12-12-2015 07:51 AM

I just smoked my last cigarette. I'm ready to remove the last addiction from my life. I'm doing it for myself, but also so my family won't worry about me getting sick anymore. Also, the extra money ($90 a week! ) won't hurt lol. I will take it one day at a time, and ask God for help whenever a craving comes. Thanks, guys!

Lorax1981 12-12-2015 11:54 PM

Sending some good quitin' vibes your way!

McCartney 12-23-2015 04:28 PM

I'm trying to quit both cigarettes and alcohol. I want them both out of my life so much. I only started a few years back, but only when I drank. Now in the last few months i started doing it when sober. Maybe I will try cold turkey, but if all else fails I will try E-cigarettes.

Fluffer 12-24-2015 12:51 AM

Allen Carr, baby. After reading or listening to that book, you'll never want to smoke again. It's hell, but if you get past one month it goes away completely. Not nearly as mental for me as quitting booze. Good luck!

PS - I spent some of my youth near your town in Yonkers.

PurpleKnight 12-24-2015 10:08 AM

Welcome to the Forum Thestruggle!! :wave: