SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/456118-day-2-a.html)

Karamazov 11-01-2021 10:14 AM

Day 2

Hi SR, I think I've found my (rational) voice at last. I somehow slipped away from AVRT when it worked so well for me. Would give anything to be back at 1.5 years but feel ready to try again after a long time deluded I could moderate! I can't moderate and I'm sick of my own ****. I'm just checking in to see if my real voice works!

UNITE4STRENGTH 11-01-2021 10:52 AM

Hiya. I was 14 months sober, which has been my longest yet. I'm 41 and I'm 18 days back after a 7 week relapse consisting of intermittent binge drinking. I couldn't believe I let it happen again!! Anyhow, I'm still recovering from the consequences in terms of finances, physical health and mental health. I've recommited to my recovery and I'm using this relapse as my 'insurance' for many many sober years ahead. I hate what drink does to my brain and my quality of life!!!! I'm glad you have found the courage to recommit, it was good to read your post. U4S 🇬🇧

Hevyn 11-01-2021 11:05 AM

Hi Karamazov. Congrats on your Day 2.
I tried to moderate, with all the willpower I could summon. It never worked once. I'd buy a small amount & swear that's all I'd have in an evening. Before I knew it, I'd be out the door seeking more. Once those first sips are in our system, anything can happen. Glad you've discovered we have no control. You can do it!

Karamazov 11-01-2021 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH (Post 7719899)
Hiya. I was 14 months sober, which has been my longest yet. I'm 41 and I'm 18 days back after a 7 week relapse consisting of intermittent binge drinking. I couldn't believe I let it happen again!! Anyhow, I'm still recovering from the consequences in terms of finances, physical health and mental health. I've recommited to my recovery and I'm using this relapse as my 'insurance' for many many sober years ahead. I hate what drink does to my brain and my quality of life!!!! I'm glad you have found the courage to recommit, it was good to read your post. U4S 🇬🇧

Hi U4S... I'm 41 too and live in UK. I totally hear you, my mental health took a bad turn for the last few years! On loads of medication and drinking while lying to myself for so long. 14 months was really great and now you've stepped back up!

Karamazov 11-01-2021 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 7719908)
Hi Karamazov. Congrats on your Day 2.
I tried to moderate, with all the willpower I could summon. It never worked once. I'd buy a small amount & swear that's all I'd have in an evening. Before I knew it, I'd be out the door seeking more. Once those first sips are in our system, anything can happen. Glad you've discovered we have no control. You can do it!

Thanks Hevyn... No control is a hard thing to admit to myself. On Day 2 of a 'real' attempt but hard to notice the difference between all lies I told myself about quitting or moderating. I will try now

Introvrtd1 11-01-2021 11:45 AM

Wow…Im glad you’re back U4S! Very encouraging to see those who’ve realized how much sobriety really means…I too learned an important lesson in relapse and I’m determined to remember as well to keep it from happening again.

14 months is awesome! At least you know how much you can do it. It’s in you now. Keep going!

:grouphug:

Dee74 11-01-2021 02:29 PM

Welcome back Karamazov :)

D

Robbie64 11-01-2021 02:56 PM

Welcome back Karamazov. Moderation never works for any of us here at SR. Congratulations on day 2 :)

Karamazov 11-01-2021 03:49 PM

Thanks, it's good to be back! I've been avoiding SR as been avoiding reality. I know you guys speak the truth and inspire so AV didn't want me to come.

dustyfox 11-01-2021 04:01 PM

The AV will always try and stop you. But you have recognised it and now you are back here - stay close, post often, tell us your day by day progress.
Thanks to SR for the for the first time possibly in my entire adult life - I realised that sobriety has to be my future and I choose it with confidence that it will keep me healthy, mentally stronger, emotionally more resilient and happier. It's a good feeling! I hope you chose it too!

Free2bme888 11-01-2021 04:02 PM

Karam….

You know we will support you, we’d love to have you back

Steely 11-01-2021 05:20 PM

Can't help myself.

Welcome back Brother.

Hevyn 11-01-2021 06:10 PM

Nice one, Steely. :yup:

We're so glad you came back, K.

VikingGF 11-01-2021 06:17 PM

Welcome back, Karamazov. Congrats on day 2.

Karamazov 11-02-2021 07:19 AM

Day 3

Thank you guys for welcoming me back. Feels a lot like I'm waking up tbh. What on earth was I thinking for so long? I haven't gone 4 days not drinking for around 2 years now so looking forward to tomorrow as a milestone!!

dustyfox 11-02-2021 07:34 AM

I know that feeing Karamazov - I managed a year without drinking about 4 years ago - then slipped for 4 years until I also woke up - nearly 6 months with no drink to date -and yes I literally cant understand what took me so long! Huge congratulations on day 3! see you on Day 4!

DriGuy 11-02-2021 07:50 AM

It's a hard way to learn a lesson, but it's good to have you back.

Hevyn 11-02-2021 08:11 AM

Big congrats on your Day 3, Karamazov. You're doing this! :)

GramCracker25 11-02-2021 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Karamazov (Post 7720005)
Thanks, it's good to be back! I've been avoiding SR as been avoiding reality. I know you guys speak the truth and inspire so AV didn't want me to come.

Karamazov, SR has been my saving grace! So glad you're here.

I'm sure that my time on SR has been the key to my success this month. I spend hours here (I have the luxury of time...) every day posting and mostly reading other posts to keep me on track. There is a lot of speaking the truth and inspiration, but there is also genuine love for every member.

I hope you keep posting, knowing that we do care!
🤗

advbike 11-02-2021 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Karamazov (Post 7720005)

Welcome Karamazov! I avoided this place for 3 years after I relapsed.. until I realized I needed it. SR is a game changer.