SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Would you drink if your days were numbered? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/454718-would-you-drink-if-your-days-were-numbered.html)

Evoo 07-18-2021 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7670197)
I'm probably going to be murdered soon. I'm on Antabuse but if won't take it from tomorrow and I'll get drunk next Saturday if I'm still alive. What's the point in being sober if I'm just going to die soon anyway. I might go to the shop tomorrow early and buy mouthwash and have a tiny bit. Three or so units won't trigger the Antabuse.

I'm 108 days which is the longest I've managed. Maybe it'd be better to die sober, I don't know. What would you do if there was a conspiracy to murder you? Would you drink? Or if you had a terminal illness?

First I think you need either the help of law enforcement or fast mental health treatment. It is unreasonable to assume you can achieve long-term sobriety under those conditions — you need to go after the source. Do you have support and people who can help guide you through that process?

To answer your question: No. Alcohol never brought me real or lasting comfort. It was an illusion of comfort. If I were terminally ill I would want to be fully present with the people I love for every minute I had left.

Zebra1275 07-18-2021 06:56 AM

If I only had a few days left to live, there is no way in hell I would want to spend them being hungover and miserable.

I would rather be rather be sober and with loved ones.

novips 07-18-2021 07:25 AM

The first time I ever called myself an alcoholic and tried to stay sober was around 1987. For many years thereafter, including many rounds of relapsing, I always just assumed I'd get drunk/high if given some sort of terminal diagnosis (I'd also drain my bank account, max my credit cards, fly to Vegas, and see how many sins I could accumulate before the clock struck midnight). Then one day in a meeting someone asked the question (or it just popped in my mind), and my natural response was to take whatever time I had left to connect with loved ones and enjoy my life to the fullest sober. Importantly, this was not some sort of forced answer that I thought I should be giving. It's just the answer I gave. I consider this one of my spiritual awakenings/experiences. At this point, after 18 years clean and sober, I'd consider it a privilege to die clean & sober. Very few alcoholics/addicts do -- a number I once heard from a reputable source was something like 1 in 27. Anyway, in answer to your question, "no" -- the notion that getting drunk/high in response to a terminal diagnosis could in any sense be the sane/correct one is delusional ... though obviously utterly unsurprising for an alcoholic/addict, who is by definition insane.

Abraham 07-18-2021 03:53 PM

The point in being sober is because its so much better than being drunk. Really no matter what the circumstances but if your days are numbered its all the more reason to be sober and enjoy the world. I thought you were on here because you want to be sober. So why would you want to be drunk. You cant do both. Being drunk sucks, period!

sortofhomecomin 07-18-2021 07:58 PM

Youre not going to be murdered on Sunday or at any other time.
​​​​​

ZeroNowhere570 07-18-2021 08:17 PM

To reply to the question in the title…. I don’t know. I’d spend a lot more time (quality time) my my mother and step-father. I’d also be a kinder person to my girlfriend who is my world.

Delilah1 07-18-2021 09:36 PM

How are you doing FF?

MythOfSisyphus 07-18-2021 11:23 PM

As BABM said, our days are numbered. We don't know what that number is but it's finite and likely less than I'd like. There are far more days behind me than ahead of me. I've contemplated this of course. I have decided that I want to live each day left as fully as I can and embrace each day completely. Every day I spent drunk was a waste; if I had only a few left it would be foolish to waste them on drinking.

Be well, @freedomfries. You can get through this. Ignore the voices and keep fighting.

Scd619x 07-19-2021 02:17 AM

No-one knows what they would do until they are in that situation. If i was terminally ill and in pain I would take whatever medication they gave me, mood altering drug or not! You don't get a junior G man badge for dying a painful and lingering death!

fishkiller 07-19-2021 02:19 AM

No

freedomfries 07-19-2021 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah1 (Post 7670867)
How are you doing FF?

Better. Voices are quieter today

Gabe1980 07-19-2021 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7670921)

Really glad to hear it FF. Take good care of yourself and let us know how you are getting on x

lessgravity 07-19-2021 04:18 AM

No, it the opposite.

I think it's the realization/frustration/desperation that comes with realizing our days are inherently and always "numbered" that drives many of to finally get sober. A drunk life is a wasted life, whether the bus with my name on it is headed down the street tomorrow or in a few decades.

SoberLeigh 07-19-2021 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7670921)

Very glad to hear that, freedomfries.

labgirl 07-21-2021 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 7670334)
Would you drink if your days were numbered?

Everybody's days are numbered. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.

I only have today. And I choose sober.

Exactly!

aasharon90 07-21-2021 04:18 AM

^
:c014: