SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekenders 04 - 07 June 2021 - Pop, crackle and fizzle (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/454091-weekenders-04-07-june-2021-pop-crackle-fizzle.html)

MantaLady 06-05-2021 01:49 AM

Another scorching day here, going to get some more diy done and try not to get sunburnt! I am stripping the outhouse doors and the back gate and fence so I can re-paint and refresh the back yard. Have my bench and chair to finish off painting for the front of the house and might get some more plants from B&Q. Got a tradesman round to get a quote to re-render the stone wall in the back yard. I am determined to make the yard a nice space to sit out in!

Hope everyone is well x

Primativo 06-05-2021 01:51 AM

My condolences Captain.

I lost my cousin April 2020 to covid, she was only 44. Awful disease and why getting vaccinated is so so important.

On a brighter note, 33 days sober. I went out for dinner last night and I was fine, until I got to Covent Garden, then as I walked down the streets to the cocktail bar, I passed people having Al Fresco drinks outside and I had an urge to drink the night away. Entered the cocktail bar, and certainly considered a drink, but wasn't actually close to caving in if that makes sense? I ordered a virgin cocktail whilst I waited for my friend, and within minute the urge had gone and I was fine for the rest of the night.

It's certainly quite easy to bat the urges away now. But must remain vigilent. Never lose sight of how awful my last binge was and how it messes my life up so much. I got home at midnight and thought to myself, imagine if you had had that drink earlier. You'd now be a drunken mess, stumbling around, drinking at home until the early hours....and instead of the great sleep I had and sitting here right now with a lovely coffee, I'd be waking up with anxiety and craving another drink.

Always make the right choice my friends...

Purplrks3647 06-05-2021 02:59 AM

More hugs from here too Captain :(

LoveHateWhine 06-05-2021 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7645475)
Depending on what browser I use sometimes I can't see pics (or you tubes) either LHW.
I can usually see them on my Ipad tho, so dunno?

D

Thanks, Dee. I’m on my iPad now and I still can’t see them. This will give me something to do when I’m bored...I can’t see pics from some other sites I just checked so always good to try to learn something new.

It’s a gorgeous morning here and I am awake early and enjoying the coffee and cool temps for a bit before it starts getting hotter.

Want to get everyone’s thoughts about something. I’m thinking of changing my User Name. (Definitely think this is something the Admins need to do or I need to shut down this account and start with a new). When I chose LHW a few years ago, I now believe I really didn’t WANT to stop drinking, but was in a place where I felt like I was being forced to stop. Hence loving wine and hating it too.

i don’t like wine any more and I certainly don’t love it. Signing in as LHW makes me think of those times and I don’t think that is me anymore. My entire mindset has changed. I know it’s only been 6 days but something inside of me has truly shifted.

Part of me says change it and the other part says to leave it as LHW as a way to remind me to never go back. Thoughts?

biminiblue 06-05-2021 04:03 AM

LHW, I would change it...and yeah, just private message Dee74 or Anna and they can change it.

When I started here I knew I was D.O.N.E. drinking and had zero doubts. I came to SR because I had such a good experience on another forum when I was making big life changes.

My user name here is a positive reminder of a fantastic time in my past and I wouldn't want to tarnish it by any negative connotations. Same with my avatar image of that same time. Only I know what it means, and it's sacred to me.

Cityboy 06-05-2021 05:19 AM

Captain, very sorry. You have my deepest condolences.

Bimini, I'm always amazed to see you posting so early. We went out in the gulf yesterday and saw a lot of sea turtles but no dolphins, which is unusual come to think of it. Still don't think I would have the nerve to swim with them.

My SR name is completely bogus, and was my attempt at anonymity in that very early stage.

My avatar was meant to symbolize something nice arising from something beat down and thorny that no one wants anything to do with (a bit overdramatic perhaps).

LHW, I think you should do whatever you think will help you continue down a positive path to recovery.

Cityboy 06-05-2021 05:25 AM

33 days is great prim. Sorry about your cousin. My mindset towards things like having drinks on a patio with friends is completely different now. I watch for, and notice the very predictable changes in people's speech and behavior as they drink and have no desire to join them whatsoever. I just figure it's my turn to be understanding with others after all the years of them tolerating my drunken behavior.

Robbie64 06-05-2021 05:28 AM

LHW, If your user name brings back memories of times you want to forget then changing it would be a good idea. It would be a total fresh start.

biminiblue 06-05-2021 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cityboy (Post 7645604)
Captain, very sorry. You have my deepest condolences.

Bimini, I'm always amazed to see you posting so early. We went out in the gulf yesterday and saw a lot of sea turtles but no dolphins, which is unusual come to think of it. Still don't think I would have the nerve to swim with them.

My SR name is completely bogus, and was my attempt at anonymity in that very early stage.

My avatar was meant to symbolize something nice arising from something beat down and thorny that no one wants anything to do with (a bit overdramatic perhaps).

LHW, I think you should do whatever you think will help you continue down a positive path to recovery.

I am usually up by 5AM. This morning, 3:36AM!

It's been really warm here and I've been going to bed earlier so I can be up in the early mornings and open the windows to let in the cooler air.

They (dolphins) would be polite/curious/give you distance if you did get in the water. Try it. They do seem really big when they swim in your direction, though! The smiles are disarming.

I'd be more worried about the sharkies below that I couldn't see. We swam with the dolphins in the Bahamas in shallow (10-15M deep) water.

Boondock 06-05-2021 05:42 AM

Morning all, LHW I think you should do what you feel is best for your recovery. Either use the name as motivation or lose it as a gesture of change.

Primativo 06-05-2021 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cityboy (Post 7645606)
33 days is great prim. Sorry about your cousin. My mindset towards things like having drinks on a patio with friends is completely different now. I watch for, and notice the very predictable changes in people's speech and behavior as they drink and have no desire to join them whatsoever. I just figure it's my turn to be understanding with others after all the years of them tolerating my drunken behavior.

Yeah for sure. It's only at the very start of the night where I may have those thoughts. Then it quickly dissipitates and I really enjoy my evening. Thankfully my friend wasn't on a mission to get drunk, she had three drinks and we ate lots of food. Had a great night and I barely even noticed she was drinking!

saoutchik 06-05-2021 09:40 AM

Welcome to Weekenders TheHook! Well done for not picking up. You too Primativo, I was not far from you yesterday evening - Neal's Yard in Seven Dials. I'm a lightweight so I was home by 9.30pm. Sorry to read about your cousin.

Great photos of the giant Sequoias. We actually have some in the UK near Sheffield. At 150 years old they are not even adolescent yet.

https://youtu.be/XNFEiIP4glg

BigShoe 06-05-2021 01:27 PM

Sorry for your loss captain. Hope your father pulls through.

in for the weekend

Hugs all around

Dee74 06-05-2021 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine (Post 7645545)
Thanks, Dee. I’m on my iPad now and I still can’t see them. This will give me something to do when I’m bored...I can’t see pics from some other sites I just checked so always good to try to learn something new.

It’s a gorgeous morning here and I am awake early and enjoying the coffee and cool temps for a bit before it starts getting hotter.

Want to get everyone’s thoughts about something. I’m thinking of changing my User Name. (Definitely think this is something the Admins need to do or I need to shut down this account and start with a new). When I chose LHW a few years ago, I now believe I really didn’t WANT to stop drinking, but was in a place where I felt like I was being forced to stop. Hence loving wine and hating it too.

i don’t like wine any more and I certainly don’t love it. Signing in as LHW makes me think of those times and I don’t think that is me anymore. My entire mindset has changed. I know it’s only been 6 days but something inside of me has truly shifted.

Part of me says change it and the other part says to leave it as LHW as a way to remind me to never go back. Thoughts?

if you decide to change it just PM me or Anna with a preferred new name or two in case your first preference is taken

...and try another browser for the pic problem, just to rule that out :)

D

Dee74 06-05-2021 01:44 PM

I’m sorry for your loss Primativo.

D

SoberLeigh 06-05-2021 02:42 PM

Primativo, I am sorry to hear about your cousin; COVID has caused so much pain. Good job last night.

Love the roots of your avatar, CityBoy.

:wave: all. Have a nice weekend.

SoberLeigh 06-05-2021 03:30 PM

Forgot to mention that I just watched a very good movie “In and of Itself”. Well worth the time.

least 06-05-2021 03:38 PM

I've been sober 11 and a half years and still get a thrill over waking up feeling good. :)

And feel proud of myself for taking such good care of my critters. :hug: I'd be lonely without them.

TheHook210 06-05-2021 03:46 PM

Little frustrated today. I live in the East coast FL near the beach, my Mom is on the west coast FL near the beach, so ya know all my favorite restaurants are mostly outdoor seating and the atmosphere screams to drink. Everyone else is drinking around you and I just honestly had a hard time with it at dinner tonight. It just sucks, and it’s not that I even really want to drink I just want to not care about it anymore. I felt like I was really white knuckling through dinner and didn’t really relax. I may need to dial back the eating out for a while until I’m further into sobriety.

On a positive note I really think alcohol had made me super numb. Like even when not actively drinking. It’s absolutely insane how much more I am aware of my surroundings right now, noticing all these things I never really noticed. My brain is like soooooo much quicker. My anxiety level has also plummeted. I really really love it. And I am still not missing hangovers and waking up at 3AM feeling like I’m in the Sahara. Will keep on keeping on.

Alysheba 06-05-2021 05:12 PM

My sister has been sober a while and she still avoids going out to eat as it is a major trigger for her. I think you have the right idea, Hook. At least for now. It may not always be a trigger. :love: