Notices

Weekenders 04 - 07 June 2021 - Pop, crackle and fizzle

Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Weekenders 04 - 07 June 2021 - Pop, crackle and fizzle

Welcome to Weekenders

Mr. Mags suggested we buy a barbecue this week. For a second I had the old av (addictive voice) rear it’s head and a promise of all the fun of barbecuing with drinking too.

It was a desperate attempt from the av to feed me thoughts of drinking.

As BiminiBlue mentioned earlier this week, which I was akin too, I may get a wistful memory of alcohol but it’s soon squashed by the reality of it all....and a good strong sober toolbox.

I now recognise the many adverts painting a picture of enjoyable times with alcohol aren’t directed at me. They’re directed at ‘normies’ who drink sensibly, as their warnings say.

My weekends past were full of booze, falling over, blacked out and repeat. Pop crackle and fizz can never tempt me to ever partake in alcohol again.
~~~
If you’re seeing some similarities in your life and are wanting to stop or have stopped and not sure what next, stay around.

Weekends can be a tough time -and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier.
~~~
I’d like to share the following words, by one of SR members, which I found very inspiring and encouraging in my early sober days:

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!
~~~

Old 06-02-2021, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee, as always.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Shotgun! I am in x
Old 06-03-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun MantaLady
Old 06-03-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags

morning manta how are you doing?
Old 06-03-2021, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for a sober weekend!

Congratulations on shotgun Manta. Welcome andy

I've no real plans as yet for this weekend but I'm thinking about heading off somewhere on Saturday for a few hours, just to get away from sitting around at home.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags and enjoyed the OP. Salutations weekenders.
I prefer the snap crackle and pop these days

Indeed those adverts and tv and magazines makes it all look very elegant and fun.
Hats off to the real normies who can behave correctly with and while drinking. I know now that will never be me.

It's all relative but for me i feel like it was a long journey getting sober but a necessary one. For me that "good strong sober toolbox" was the result of so many hits and misses. I never made it passed 6 months up until last year when at 43 it came to a head. I consider myself very lucky and I'm grateful for everything. I heard this yesterday and i will finish up with it : life can be hard but life can be beautiful if your up for a challenge and change.

Vinny
Old 06-03-2021, 01:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and Dee

Congratulations on shotgun Manta

Vinny that reminded me of my childhood eating rice bubbles and seeing the ad on tv “snap crackle and pop”. I adored rice bubbles as a kid

Old 06-03-2021, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and I’m in for a sober weekend, although I will be away camping out of phone range (and out of liquor store range too).
Have a wonderful sober weekend everyone. I’ll check back in when I can x
Old 06-03-2021, 02:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Willow, I guess that is the same as what they call rice crispies here? Do you make rice bubble treats?

Old 06-03-2021, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mmmmmm Rice Krispy Treats! I've made them with the Cocoa Krispies too
Old 06-03-2021, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, this might come in handy in the bush

Old 06-03-2021, 02:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes they’re called Rice krispies in other places, but I know them as rice bubbles. The chocolate ones are Coco pops
And yes Cityboy we used to make treats out of them! Especially the chocolate ones (chocolate crackles).

Mags that camping setup looks fantastic! A lot fancier than our rooftop tent 😂 it even has a sun deck! Wow
Old 06-03-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is the sort we have. So easy to use, just undo the roof straps and flip it up and over and it almost self assembles! Then to pack up, just push the ladder back up, flip the sticking out floor back up over the top, tuck in the canvas edges and do up the straps again

Old 06-03-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Change. Boy, isn't that the name of the game?

Constant change, the oxymoron for the day. Keeps stuff exciting!

Thanks for the OP, Mags.

In for another sober weekend with my favorite people.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’s a smart piece of kit willow
Old 06-03-2021, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is indeed a smart piece of kit Mags. Very ingenious in fact, I've not actually seen a set up like that before.

I was never a fan of Rice Krispies / Bubbles when I was a child. I still felt hungry after eating them!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN

Thanks for the new thread Mags. I expect the booze industry thinks of excessive drinkers in the same way betting companies think of problem gamblers - cash cows. All adverts give us a make believe view of the world.

Congratulations on Shotgun MantaLady!

Sending positive vibes to CaptainHaddock and his parents.

That is a handy piece of equipment Willow.

I actually have a packet of Cocoa Krispies on top of my fridge at the moment (they are called Coco Pops here in the UK) My youngest granddaughter is only allowed them at weekends and when they were running late to visit the Sea Life Centre they called in to my place to leave their car there and get the underground train and the Cocoa Pops came too. They forgot them on the way home. They look revolting, I cannot remember eating them as a kid, I think I preferred the equally unhealthy Sugar Frosties.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

My nan used to melt highland toffee and marshmallows in a bowl and mix in rice crispies then put it in a tray to set. They were absolutely amazing!!

With the glorious weather we’ve been having the neighbours have been sitting out and drinking most days. I’ve definitely had a few moments of longing to join them and just enjoy a drink in the sun. But I know where it will lead to for me and I am not willing to take that risk.

Thanks for asking Andy, things are going good at the moment. Been doing a lot of diy stuff and finally got lots of pots for the front of my house and filled them with lovely flowering plants so it is a pleasure to sit out there now

Hope everyone is doing well and hugs to Captain H! xx
Old 06-03-2021, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

While my weekend doesn't officially start for another 24 hours, you can count me in for the weekend! It's been a long time since I was on SR and I am currently on Day 4.

Thanks to BiminiBlue for reminding me that I was once on the Weekenders thread a long time ago. I think it was back in 2019? Yeah, sounds about right. I've been aways that long. Anyway...

I've been travelling this past week and will be home all weekend except for going to a surprise birthday party for my fiancee's brother. Alcohol will be served there, but I have no plans to partake and neither does my fiancee (who does not have an alcohol problem at all).

For those of you who are already starting your weekend, have a great one and see ya around! :-)

LHW