SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Howdy ya’ll (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/452806-howdy-ya-ll.html)

BeABetterMan 03-09-2021 07:55 AM

Howdy ya’ll

Just checking in. Been soo freaking busy. Started coaching my son’s football team. LOVING it. My kids have so much going on, which means I do too. I love the activity. I love their company. All their friends are great. Kids on their teams are great. Super busy at work. Life in sobriety is quite rewarding. The only thing is being so busy has had me not making as many AA meetings as I need to. I have time tonight so I’ll do that and then stay up late drawing up plays.

Just wanted to check in. Lots of times I only check in when it is a **** storm.

*for those that follow me and the drama with my 13yo, she’s still a huge PITA. But, I’m giving her her space so the drama is less. She asked us if she can meet a boy at the park. Mom and I agreed if he comes to our houses first so we can meet him. Holy crap. HOLY CRAP.

Anna 03-09-2021 08:39 AM

Oh BABM, 13 year old girls are bound to test you. Good for you for stepping back a bit.

You sound like you're doing great.

stickyone 03-09-2021 11:09 AM

Good morning BABM,

Great to hear things are going well. I too have a girl and could only imagine when she gets to her teens. With your busy schedule that you have. one day at a time you accomplished so much. Have a good day , make time for that AA meeting and self care my friend.

Finalcall 03-09-2021 11:12 AM

That's good to hear babm.

Dee74 03-09-2021 01:59 PM

Good to hear from you BABM and know you're doing well :)

Hevyn 03-09-2021 02:10 PM

Great to know you're feeling so positive, BABM. :)

m00t 03-09-2021 02:51 PM

My 13 year old (now 18) put me through the wringer.. She is AMAZING now! 13-16 was awful but just try to protect her from making horrible decisions. I had to 'talk firmly' :-P to an older boy... never saw him again. Sobriety helps get through those years!

gymratgirl2 03-09-2021 03:49 PM

Teenage girls are tough. I used to be one...and now I have one. 🤦‍♀️YIKES! You are doing it right - give her some space, but set some reasonable expectations. Being a sober dad is the best thing you can do for the both of you!

Dropsie 03-09-2021 04:07 PM

Good to hear from you -- you sound super.

Runswithspoons 03-09-2021 06:30 PM

Some people get overwhelmed by busy, but it sounds like that really agrees with you! :slomo:

BeABetterMan 03-09-2021 07:24 PM

It’s a fine line. There’s a lot. Then boss called a 4 hour meeting on Saturday. Um...?

Steely 03-09-2021 07:35 PM

Gosh, if my daughter had done the things I did as a teenager I would have totally freaked out. Mostly they survive if have ok parents. You're one of those parents BABM.

Great to see you going so well.

BeABetterMan 03-09-2021 08:01 PM

The things I put my mom through... :(

Mizz 03-10-2021 05:48 AM

4 hour meeting?
Is the rover not roving? Did it find some trace of life? I saw that its arm is working and it went on a little trek. Its water pump works too and I had a listen.... Fascinating.

Boys? Ya, Im sure your anxiety is through the roof on that one. It will be okay.

Be123 03-10-2021 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan (Post 7603071)
Just checking in. Been soo freaking busy. Started coaching my son’s football team. LOVING it. My kids have so much going on, which means I do too. I love the activity. I love their company. All their friends are great. Kids on their teams are great. Super busy at work. Life in sobriety is quite rewarding. The only thing is being so busy has had me not making as many AA meetings as I need to. I have time tonight so I’ll do that and then stay up late drawing up plays.

Good on you BABM. I've coached football (proper football, or as you may say 'soccer'!) with my son since they were u6 - they're u12 now and I absolutely love it. I've been gladly usurped by a better coach but I now do the organising and love those kids like my own family. We're the only mixed team in our league (we have two girls and 11 lads) and, before lockdown struck, were top of the local league. That's such a strong blow for equality of access in sport so I also get a social kick out of it

Good to hear you sounding so upbeat. Your posts nowbyou are sober are just so SO different to the despair when you were drinking

fishkiller 03-10-2021 08:21 AM

Good to hear BABM!