SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I will let you down (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/451947-i-will-let-you-down.html)

thomas11 01-23-2021 11:28 PM

I will let you down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI

Dee74 01-24-2021 01:18 AM

I'm no good at interpreting You Tube videos Jeff - whats going on, man?

D

Wastinglife 01-24-2021 01:25 AM

I love that Johnny Cash cover song album. The U2 One song he covered is also great. What a legend Johnny is!

Be123 01-24-2021 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 7580366)

This is a great song, sometimes I need to wallow in my own sadness and songs like this scratch where it itches. The sadness passes if I pay attention to it, give it respect, but understand that like all other things, that it will pass.

doggonecarl 01-24-2021 04:13 AM

Usually not a good sign when you start posting music vids, Jeff. In the past it's meant drinking and brooding. Hope that isn't the case now.

Hawkeye13 01-24-2021 05:39 AM

Yep, when I drink I dial into the maudlin music too.

What’s up Jeff—are you drinking or just wanting to drink?

Either way, we are your friends and want to help—

Mizz 01-24-2021 06:06 AM

That was a great comeback for Johnny. Its really interesting to see how a song can be transformed and it takes on a whole new life. That album went gold. Johnny is a legend.

Are you doing okay though? That song is quite the downer.

Raeven58 01-24-2021 06:20 AM

When I go for music, I take Gloria Gaynor...I Will Survive

anxiousrock 01-24-2021 06:46 AM

Music is a huge trigger for me so I don't listen to it all the time. When I was drinking, I'd listen for hours! Videos, songs, interviews lol. YouTube took a hit with every drink I took.

izzy1962 01-24-2021 07:01 AM

"When the man comes around", "Pocahontas", "Father and Son" and "Redemption Song" all good Cash songs from those last few albums. Music was never a trigger for me so Im always playing it. For me during recovery, "Life by the Drop" - Stevie Ray Vaughn and "Walk" - Foo fighters are on my playlist.

Hope you are well.

Aellyce 01-24-2021 07:38 AM

Following some of your patterns Jeff, I have the same concern doggonecarl expressed, but in general I prefer not to interpret much when people try to communicate their feelings only by sending songs or other forms of art without own comments, as it can be very subjective. I used to do similar things while drinking - posted and otherwise sent songs to people, but it never led to any relief or useful communication when I didn't follow it up with what was going on with me really, and sadly I usually didn't express that reality. It's a great piece of music in an objective sense (I also liked the Trent Reznor/NIN version), but definitely reminds me of some of my darkest days, not hopeful mental states or when I have good connections with others.

It's actually more your thread title that worries me, why you chose that? Hopefully you come back and share, so people can help you not feel so alone.

thomas11 01-24-2021 09:48 AM

drinking, need to stop. And I will. same old song and dance.

thomas11 01-24-2021 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by anxiousrock (Post 7580519)
Music is a huge trigger for me so I don't listen to it all the time. When I was drinking, I'd listen for hours! Videos, songs, interviews lol. YouTube took a hit with every drink I took.

same here.

Hawkeye13 01-24-2021 10:00 AM

Jeff, how about you make this the shortest, least self-destructive relapse you have ever had?

That is in your power, and in the recovery tools you have learned and built from past relapses.

Quietly, without fanfare, go dump any remaining booze down the kitchen sink, and while you are in there, get something easy and filling to eat and eat it.

Next, play a recovery podcast or YouTube and step away from the music for now.

Just start with that and check in with us.

You don’t have to spiral unless you keep choosing to.

As a fellow serial-relapser, I strongly suggest you change your pattern now—this minute—and climb right back out of the hole and into a better outcome.

Hevyn 01-24-2021 10:02 AM

Jeff - I'm glad you said what's going on. We care about you & worry for you. Please don't put yourself through hell again.

thomas11 01-24-2021 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 (Post 7580618)
Jeff, how about you make this the shortest, least self-destructive relapse you have ever had?

That is in your power, and in the recovery tools you have learned and built from past relapses.

Quietly, without fanfare, go dump any remaining booze down the kitchen sink, and while you are in there, get something easy and filling to eat and eat it.

Next, play a recovery podcast or YouTube and step away from the music for now.

Just start with that and check in with us.

You don’t have to spiral unless you keep choosing to.

As a fellow serial-relapser, I strongly suggest you change your pattern now—this minute—and climb right back out of the hole and into a better outcome.

how about I pour the rest of the booze down my throat? I'm liking that idea better.

thomas11 01-24-2021 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 7580619)
Jeff - I'm glad you said what's going on. We care about you & worry for you. Please don't put yourself through hell again.

I won't get myself so sideways that I can't function tomorrow. Appreciate your concern.

thomas11 01-24-2021 10:16 AM

why call it a relapse, how about we call if a lifestyle? Think about it. It is what it is.

thomas11 01-24-2021 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 7580619)

glad someone gives a **** about me. Thank you.

Hevyn 01-24-2021 10:40 AM

Many here do, Jeff - and have since you joined.