SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Waking up groggy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/449127-waking-up-groggy.html)

Finalcall 08-21-2020 01:17 PM

Waking up groggy

Today will be 12 days sober. Every morning I wake still feeling a bit hungover. I am not sure why this happens. I'm pretty sure I'm well hydrated.
It doesn't seem to last very long. Maybe it's I just forgot what waking up sober feels like.
other than this doing well. Taken on an extra day of work today as the weather is terrible I chose money over the lounge. Money is definitely a good motivation to not be buying any more booze.

Well wishes to all.

Hope1989 08-21-2020 01:42 PM

Hi,

Maybe are cases could be different. I was more of a binge drinker for years. Actually, I just did it once a week (generally on Fridays). This is a habit I had for over 12 years. For the first months that I did not drink, every Saturday I woke up with the sensation I had a hangover..

It went away after a while.

Finalcall 08-21-2020 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hope1989 (Post 7498758)
Hi,

Maybe are cases could be different. I was more of a binge drinker for years. Actually, I just did it once a week (generally on Fridays). This is a habit I had for over 12 years. For the first months that I did not drink, every Saturday I woke up with the sensation I had a hangover..

It went away after a while.

the brain works in strange eay i guess.

LumenandNyx 08-21-2020 02:13 PM

Could you be sleeping more soundly now that you're sober? Maybe waking up groggy is a result of a real good night's sleep.

Dee74 08-21-2020 04:25 PM

I think that will pass in time finalcall :)

D

MaximusD 08-25-2020 11:37 AM

This happens to me if I eat badly the day or night before. Could this be it?

anxiousrock 08-25-2020 12:08 PM

Yeah if I eat late then I feel like crap in the morning! But also your body is healing :) give it time.

sva777 08-25-2020 12:11 PM

I have been sober for a while and I still feel groggy at times when I wake up. I think it can be due to many reasons, some of which were mentioned above.

Aellyce 08-25-2020 01:50 PM

I am not sure that's hangover, more just the brain adjusting. Constant hangovers are so drastic and overwhelming on the body and mind, they mask a lot of other things IMO... many normal feelings and fluctuations. There is also such a thing as a normal, physiological anxiety peak in the morning, right after waking. I sometimes experience this years sober and sometimes it registers as grogginess and not wanting to do anything. I don't believe it has much (or anything) to do with my past drinking. It does not last long for me either - just getting up and going cures it perfectly.

Congrats on 12 days and keep going! :)

Primativo 08-26-2020 07:30 AM

I wake up groggy sometimes. I think that's pretty normal. Sometimes it's because you've had a good sleep. Don't worry about it, eat well, hydrate, exercise, sleep, all will be ok.