Notices

Waking up groggy

Old 08-21-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up groggy

Today will be 12 days sober. Every morning I wake still feeling a bit hungover. I am not sure why this happens. I'm pretty sure I'm well hydrated.
It doesn't seem to last very long. Maybe it's I just forgot what waking up sober feels like.
other than this doing well. Taken on an extra day of work today as the weather is terrible I chose money over the lounge. Money is definitely a good motivation to not be buying any more booze.

Well wishes to all.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

Maybe are cases could be different. I was more of a binge drinker for years. Actually, I just did it once a week (generally on Fridays). This is a habit I had for over 12 years. For the first months that I did not drink, every Saturday I woke up with the sensation I had a hangover..

It went away after a while.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Hi,

Maybe are cases could be different. I was more of a binge drinker for years. Actually, I just did it once a week (generally on Fridays). This is a habit I had for over 12 years. For the first months that I did not drink, every Saturday I woke up with the sensation I had a hangover..

It went away after a while.
the brain works in strange eay i guess.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could you be sleeping more soundly now that you're sober? Maybe waking up groggy is a result of a real good night's sleep.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that will pass in time finalcall

D
Old 08-25-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This happens to me if I eat badly the day or night before. Could this be it?
Old 08-25-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yeah if I eat late then I feel like crap in the morning! But also your body is healing give it time.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I have been sober for a while and I still feel groggy at times when I wake up. I think it can be due to many reasons, some of which were mentioned above.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not sure that's hangover, more just the brain adjusting. Constant hangovers are so drastic and overwhelming on the body and mind, they mask a lot of other things IMO... many normal feelings and fluctuations. There is also such a thing as a normal, physiological anxiety peak in the morning, right after waking. I sometimes experience this years sober and sometimes it registers as grogginess and not wanting to do anything. I don't believe it has much (or anything) to do with my past drinking. It does not last long for me either - just getting up and going cures it perfectly.

Congrats on 12 days and keep going!
Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wake up groggy sometimes. I think that's pretty normal. Sometimes it's because you've had a good sleep. Don't worry about it, eat well, hydrate, exercise, sleep, all will be ok.