SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thread of Tiny Positive Things We Notice in Sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/448235-thread-tiny-positive-things-we-notice-sobriety.html)

MissPerfumado 07-06-2020 03:48 PM

Beautiful thread.

For me, this last week, it was being available for a friend who needed me. She's chosen to start healing from painful past issues and she trusts very few people. I've been able to be there for her when she's had to talk at 2 am, or 4 am, and through the grace of something bigger than me, have done that, plus been up the following day to get on with work etc. Being there for her like that would have been impossible in my drinking days.

Soberwolf 07-07-2020 04:27 AM

Chicken & Chips Homemade TPT I like this

kk1k5x 07-07-2020 04:55 AM

Another day of TPTs on record for all to read :). We collectively noticed:
*Getting a good night's sleep
*Watching a movie as self-care (e.g. "Taken" with Liam Neeson :P)
*Keeping one's car clean
*Taking care of the little things
*Feeling no embarrassment about last night
*The ability to press "Pause" and consider
*Waking up without anxiety
*Greeting your child with a smile
*No more messy Mondays
*Blissful and productive Monday mornings
*Taking the time to pay bills
*Smiling at the flowers you yourself planted
*Having confidence
*Being there for a friend in need
*Homemade Chicken and Chips

My TPT for today was realizing that I have money in my bank account - nothing to boast about of course, just that there's some money in my bank account. I never ever had any money when I was drinking - or on the rare occasions that I did, I wouldn't have any the next day, because I blew it all on booze the second I got to the store.

Keep 'em coming :)

froscow 07-07-2020 07:11 AM

-having respect and trust of family and peers again
-being a productive member of society
-dramatically improved physical health/appearance
-waking up in the morning and feeling good/refreshed
-living with the memories of the insane drinking days and knowing that I never have to go back to that, but I can never get complacent. almost 2.5 years without alcohol..and I know that if I picked up it could be even worse than before. and that'll be true for the rest of my life

I kind of misread the title, I didn't realize it was "tiny" positive things..but i'll leave this up anyway. lol

Be123 07-07-2020 08:39 AM

I'm going for a small thing I love:

Cleaning my teeth in the morning - and sometimes the evening too!! When I was drinking my mouth was so sore, lots of blood, and I also felt so sick I often couldn't eat or brush my teeth in the morning.

Now I give them a good old scrub and sometimes before bed too.

Hahaha - don't judge my personal hygiene standards 😂😂😂😂😂

Bekindalways 07-07-2020 07:13 PM

Drinking wine in the evenings was my thing. Since I quit I now wind up drinking more water. Yep . . . .this is tiny but I bet my hydration has improved immensely as when I want to drink, I go for the H2O. Not the same but it is positive.

anxiousrock 07-07-2020 08:32 PM

Mostly just that I remember my nights....no morning after anxiety about what I did and how I embarrassed myself.

NicLin 07-07-2020 10:10 PM

I love this!

Tiny thing I notice in sobriety: there are so many things I really SEE NOW.

The best things to me are the moments I get to spend with family and friends. How I am present for them and completely in the moment and savoring it. Gratitude is always in the back of my mind when I am living and experiencing this.

I get to be here now, aware of how special people are, how connected I can be now, and how I can listen and enjoy them.

Thank you for such a great post! Love you all.

Nic.

Bonniefloyd 07-07-2020 10:24 PM

Cool thread. I can think of all kinds of big positive things, such as my new job and being a better parent, but the little things really add up! Just off the top of my head:

- better skin because I’m properly hydrated
- can do yoga inversions
- I don’t forget to floss my teeth
- ability to recap whatever I’m watching on TV
- cleaner house
- kicking my friends” butts on Words with Friends (sometimes)
- can eat ice cream because I’m not having to save all my calories for wine
- my breath smells nicer

MaximusD 07-07-2020 10:40 PM

Not waking up sick would be mine for now :)

Soberwolf 07-08-2020 01:14 AM

The pist i just read in weekenders which made me laugh & smile

kk1k5x 07-08-2020 07:12 AM

Hello everyone and thank you for your continued contributions to this thread :) We recently noticed:
*Knowledge that comes with never having to go back to the 'crazy drinking days'
*Regaining the respect of our peers -- here I think newcomers could benefit from specific examples if any come to mind :)
*Enjoying cleaning one's teeth on the regular!
*Proper hydration and better skin
*Having breath that isn't categorised as "Nuclear waste/casual"
*Glorious victories in Words with Friends (on occasion)
*Able to really See and Hear people and moments
*Having the presence of mind to appreciate other people's contributions, such as posts on a recovery forum
*Noticing that money (regardless of amount) sticks around for a bit longer
*Able to do yoga inversions (and in particular, the one called "No vomit sturdy pine"?)

Keep them coming :) I think the more specific the tiny thing, the better the chance newcomers (and the rest of us) are able to notice it in their own life.

Fusion 07-08-2020 08:04 AM

Today's TPT was setting up a new payee on internet banking, and paying an overdue bill. Such a sense of relief, one worry less!

biminiblue 07-08-2020 08:35 AM

TPT

Cooking for myself means food tastes exactly like I want it to. I'm not wasting money on burgers and fries and pizza five days per week. :) My food now is abundant with healthy fruit and vegetables, lean protein, dairy, seeds, nuts, legumes and a little fat for good measure. It used to be mostly fat and carbs. Fiber? I need fiber? Well, turns out my body works a whole lot better in every way with good nutrition.

saoutchik 07-08-2020 08:57 AM

Excellent post kk, not sure how I missed it for two days.

Since the Covid Lockdown was eased and I have been back at work I have walked the 50 minutes to and from my place of work rather than take the underground train. I would not have even considered doing that hungover.

Surrendered19 07-08-2020 09:53 AM

Borrowed from another member: people not recognizing me after 8 months sober.

Soberwolf 07-08-2020 11:12 PM

The rain this morning which is helping keep things cool for me to do weightlifting for longer in the hotter months

TPT this thread.

MaximusD 07-08-2020 11:21 PM

I really enjoy spending time with my son when I am sober and not hung over. When I am drinking or hungover I have so little patience.

biminiblue 07-09-2020 10:31 AM

TPT

Clean sheets on the regular.

kk1k5x 07-09-2020 11:59 AM

We noticed the following TPTs:
*relief that comes with paying an overdue bill (and navigating often-complex modern technology in doing so)
*real taste of food that we ourselves have cooked
*making mindful and healthier food choices instead of grabbing the first item dripping in the saturated version of the 1978 movie starring O. Newton-John and J. Travolta
*preferring walking over other modes of transport because we're not crippled by a hangover
*someone noticing our improved physical appearance
*cooling rain that allows us to work out for longer
*increased enjoyment gained from spending time with our children, because we're not hungover and short-tempered
*clean sheets on the regular!

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this day :) Based on an e-mail I received late last night, my own TPT is realising how good an impression you can make on people by being on time with your various contributions, i.e. submitting work well before a deadline.

Keep 'em coming :)