SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   FOMO feeling at Weekends? Weekenders 08 - 11 May 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/447329-fomo-feeling-weekends-weekenders-08-11-may-2020-a.html)

Mags1 05-13-2020 12:01 AM

Morning WeekendersÂ

Reid, sorry about your mum’s carer. I hope you find another nice one.

Marty, your place of work sounds just like where I was too. Always more work pushed on us. It got very stressful. :hug:

Kaily, it is confusing, it really is. I like Dr. Hilary on itv, he is very sensible and calm. Any walks with Alfie today...who knows, you may meet a penguin or two. :dunno:

Take care and please stay safe. xx

Mags1 05-13-2020 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 7443532)
but I'm a bit calmer today in spite of waking up at 5am.

Up late today then Andy? ;)

Kaily 05-13-2020 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 7443532)
(

I may be being thick, but what's the Christmas Island reference about?

Just that back in the day unknowing servicemen were sent there for nuclear bomb experiments. I feel like sending people back to work in certain situations is similar as in lets see what happens with the virus when we do this that or the other. I don't know.

Sorry I'm waffling, just feel sad for people.

Lost my post again. :(

Kaily 05-13-2020 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mags1 (Post 7443534)
Any walks with Alfie today...

Yes I am going to walk and sit in the park, go to the garden centre, view and buy a house and play golf with a friend. But I will not sit in my private garden with a family member. :lol:

As it happens I don't have anyone to sit with anyway so ho hum.

andyh 05-13-2020 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 7443538)
Just that back in the day unknowing servicemen were sent there for nuclear bomb experiments. I feel like sending people back to work in certain situations is similar as in lets see what happens with the virus when we do this that or the other. I don't know.

thanks Kaily, I didn't know that.

I hope you feel better after your walk with Alfie. I don't have a private garden to not sit with a family member in - I haven't spoken to anyone I know face-to-face since the start of lockdown. I should be able to in the next few days though. :)

CaptainHaddock 05-13-2020 01:30 AM

Yes, it is all rather confusing.

When our lockdown started on March 27th, there were 915 confirmed cases with an average daily increase of 138 cases/day over the preceding week. When the downgrade to Level 4 came on May 1st and some people were allowed back to work, that number had shot up to 5951. Less than two weeks later and we are at 11350 cases with an average increase of 540/day.

On top of that our lockdown has been particularly draconian. All sales of tobacco (including e-liquid) and alcohol remain strictly prohibited. So too the sale of any consumer goods that are considered non-essential. For example, you can buy tinned foods but no tin opener. Going outside to exercise was finally permitted from 1 May, but only within a 5km radius from home and only between 6am and 9am. Strangely, the downgrade to Level 4 also saw the introduction of an absolute curfew between 7pm and 5am.

Anyway, I am rambling and just letting off some steam:)

Kaily 05-13-2020 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock (Post 7443564)
On top of that our lockdown has been particularly draconian. All sales of tobacco (including e-liquid) and alcohol remain strictly prohibited. So too the sale of any consumer goods that are considered non-essential. For example, you can buy tinned foods but no tin opener.

I find that ridiculously nonsensical. If I was in active addiction and they did that... well I can't even imagine. So harsh.

And curfews, wow think I better stop complaining. Compared to your country Captain we have it easy here with regards to freedom.

theVman31 05-13-2020 04:37 AM

Hello Weekender aficionados.

Quick check in but not too much to report.

Working from home and probably will be until september. Trying to get mini vman to do her school work has become more of a challenge.Regular zoom meetings at night time has become a habit. I had never realised how beneficial they actually are. Stay positive and grateful weekender friends.

Vinny.

biminiblue 05-13-2020 05:58 AM

I don't see any other way than to ease the lockdowns, though.

Yes it's going to cause a spike, but there is no way to avoid that either. From what I can figure there will be at least a year of loosening and tightening of restrictions everywhere, depending on hospital capability. In the U.S. there are more and more people ignoring and or blatantly disregarding the recommendations and many local mayors and law enforcement leaders are refusing to enforce the governors' decrees. Some people are calling it anarchy, I just think people would rather take their chances with the virus than be homeless and hungry.

I guess those who can stay home and want to, will. Those who have to work, will. As it ever was.

MLD51 05-13-2020 06:42 AM

I think you are right, Bim. As much as I'd like to see closures and work stoppages continue until we know it's safer than it is now, that's just not possible. All we can do is start opening incrementally and then see what happens in various places, tightening and loosening controls location by location. It's going to be very confusing and frustrating for a good long time. Right where I live, there are very few confirmed cases, but we have JUST started testing around here a few days ago, and only for people with symptoms. So we really have no idea yet if there are cases here. People have been good about isolating and being careful right in my town, but now people are getting very restless and not understanding why we still have restrictions at all. Something has to give or our local economy will be decimated. It's a thorny problem, for sure.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I am starting to hear about universities already throwing in the towel for fall semester. If that happens around here, it will affect pretty much every aspect of my life. I work at t a university that is already struggling financially, and everyone is getting to the end of their ropes with working and teaching online only. Students are suffering. It's bad. Continuing that into fall semester would have repercussions I don't even want to think about. And, my kid is supposed to go off to college in the fall. I'm not sure he will enroll in the fall at all if it's all online. And of course he won't be leaving home if classes are online. So I'm really hoping things are safer by fall and school can start in person again. </div>

MLD51 05-13-2020 06:45 AM

Wow. Look at all those fun stray characters in my post. It was fine until I went in to edit a couple of words. Then all that weirdness showed up. I am using carbon new these days.

SoberLeigh 05-13-2020 07:00 AM

Bim and MLD, I agree. Testing the waters by reopening is risky, indeed, but so is hunger and homelessness. I feel that the world will be balancing many scales, opening/closing/reopening, for the foreseeable. Much will depend, I suspect, on how our medical systems and facilities are able to respond to any resurgence of COVID hotspots.

As individuals, we are going to have make decisions on how best to protect ourselves. For some of us, it is a mere inconvenience, really - social distancing, the effects of cabin fever, compliance fatigue, etc. But for others . . . . I am so concerned about those who have to make really tough decisions in order to survive. They could be ‘victimized’ by their already challenging lives.

SoberLeigh 05-13-2020 07:01 AM

SoberLeigh 05-13-2020 07:05 AM

MLD, your post is perfect as viewed on my screen.
CaptainHaddock, I share your confusion. We are reopening quickly here, despite rising cases, hospitalizations, etc.

MLD51 05-13-2020 07:13 AM

Interesting that my post looks ok to others. I'll switch skins and take a look.

Kaily 05-13-2020 07:29 AM

I can see the extra characters MLD.

biminiblue 05-13-2020 07:38 AM

Yeah, I can see the HTML in Carbon, MLD.

I've been composing longer posts in Desktop and then switching back to Carbon to view the forums.

It's getting old.

MLD51 05-13-2020 07:51 AM

I see the HTML in every skin I try. Yes, this is getting old.

SoberLeigh 05-13-2020 07:54 AM

I have resorted to deleting crazy looking/almost illegible posts, well not deleting but just posting a period.

Cityboy 05-13-2020 08:33 AM

My default browser is chrome and I can see the extra characters.

So that's what the posts with just a period are.

Yea, having everyone just stay at home indefinitely is not a viable option. Work has to get done, much of which can't be done online from home, or else at some point things will begin collapsing and then it will be a cascade effect. Special safety measures in the workplace and personal responsibility will have to be incorporated. I know that we do not discuss politics, and for very good reason, but there is a lot of pressure on people who do not have the benefit of experience in these matters right now.

biminiblue 05-13-2020 09:21 AM

No one has experience in this type of situation.

Luckily the world's scientists are sharing information (at least, so they say - that's probably up for debate.) With the internet and the amount of available philanthropic money if there is a chemical/pharmaceutical solution, someone finding it is far more likely in this day of shared information.

It's just that we don't know if there even will be a pharmaceutical solution. So far MERS and SARS-Cov1 have not been solved, and people have been working that problem for many years. Similar virus.

Kaily 05-13-2020 09:36 AM

What does posting a period mean?

SoberLeigh 05-13-2020 09:46 AM

In my case, a period represents a post with deleted content. There were so many formatting, HTML issues that the content was almost illegible.

Coldfusion 05-13-2020 09:48 AM

Kaily, it means the post has been deleted. You must have at least one character, so people leave a period.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I don't see many HTML characters--just a couple Euro signs on the previous page--I'm on a Mac using Chrome.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I just canceled my train tickets from Seattle to San Diego and back in October. I don't think it will be a good idea to travel still, and with my being out of work we need the money.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;Drizzly day here. I'm on the sofa with two cats and a cup of coffee.&nbsp; Just heard an eagle.</div>

Coldfusion 05-13-2020 09:50 AM

Well, I guess if I edit my post, it gets ruined.

biminiblue 05-13-2020 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 7443800)
What does posting a period mean?

In the case of this site's update glitches, when/if you post and leave extra spaces after your period, HTML steps in and tries to fix it and you get a bunch of extra characters.

SnoozyQ 05-13-2020 09:57 AM

Im having to do a lot of editing after i post as so many weird things are happening. Ive tried them all
Im trying desktop again .

Kaily 05-13-2020 09:59 AM

It was getting a little better. Now we are back at square one.

saoutchik 05-13-2020 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 7443538)

My dad was one of those people, he thought the Navy would be better than the Army and was really excited about going to the south Pacific. They were given cheap sunglasses and told to cover their eyes with their hands. He said it didn't do much good as you could see the bones in them.

Kaily 05-13-2020 10:00 AM