SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of December 2019 part 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443766-class-december-2019-part-1-a.html)

Red78 12-04-2019 07:53 PM

About to do some groceries, wine will be in this shop..
I just keep telling myself - nothing changes if nothing changes..

Dee74 12-04-2019 07:59 PM

You can absolutely not buy wine today Red :)

D

Red78 12-04-2019 08:28 PM

I'm in the supermarket and I'm 10m away from the booze, they even have 4 wine tasting stalls going!
Get the pesto and run...

Red78 12-04-2019 08:45 PM

I'm out of there alive, phewww.. Steak but no red wine to match cause I don't need it...
Now home with no kids to get past...
What a game to beat this thing...
Better for me to post every 10 mins though...

Pouncer 12-04-2019 08:46 PM

Way to go, Red!

Red78 12-04-2019 09:28 PM

At home with a lemon and lime drink now...
Happy..
Hope everyone else is beating the demon today...
Dont give in..

Dee74 12-04-2019 09:31 PM

I knew you could do it :)

Get the pesto and run...
Steve Miller Band song...:D

Pouncer 12-04-2019 09:42 PM

Can’t wait to start Day 2. Feeling really sad reading posts from my past.

I realized that I have a major trigger: not taking my required meds. Looking for an app to annoy me into taking my medication.

I think I was still drunk today, not feeling good about alcohol as a solution.

Gearing up for the ups/downs -and boredom of sobriety. Trying to stay on top of my moods since I stay sober longer when I prioritize mindfulness.

JustTony 12-04-2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pouncer (Post 7325030)
Gearing up for the ups/downs -and boredom of sobriety. Trying to stay on top of my moods since I stay sober longer when I prioritize mindfulness.

Hi Pouncer - nice to meet you. I’ve been in a few classes over the past two years and relapsed often. I’m not in this December class (I’m on day sixteen) and was too late to join November’s class. No matter - that’s not what has compelled me to write.

As a serial relapser (and therefore I am no one to talk with any sense of pride) could I ask you to read the snippet of your post I have quoted above? What does that extract tell you about your subconscious mind?

When I read that it told me you think sobriety is boring (not a good overview if you are going to stay sober). I also picked up the phrase “stay sober longer” not simply “stay sober” indicating you will drink again, it’s just a case of when.

Please remember that I don’t know you - I have no ‘skin in your game’ - and accept I am a serial failure at staying sober myself. I simply wanted to help a fellow sufferer with observations they might find interesting and useful.

Best Regards,

JT

Pouncer 12-04-2019 10:32 PM

I was actually kind of proud of that realization: I am trying to be self-aware in the sense that I can’t rely on drama or guilt to keep me sober in the upcoming months. Boredom and banality are part of everyone’s life and I tend to drink when I am stressed or to rustle up excitement or a distraction.

I am trying to stay sober with that statement.

JustTony 12-04-2019 10:36 PM

Fair enough Pouncer. I misread it then.

Safe journey.

Best Regards,

JT

Dee74 12-04-2019 10:37 PM

You're welcome in this or any other class JT - just' sayin' :)

D

Red78 12-04-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7325047)
You're welcome in this or any other class JT - just' sayin' :)

D

I second that.. You fit into either of the classes JT and you know that they are good for support..

bobdrop 12-05-2019 01:59 AM

Hi JT!

bobdrop 12-05-2019 02:04 AM

BTW-JT, I'm on day 17 and obviously a serial dude as well and don't always think that I fit in, but I'm here. There's plenty of room in this class. Just "sayin" :)

venuscat 12-05-2019 06:17 AM

Love and good morning. :) :grouphug:

.....and Grab the pesto and run = Steve Miller Band Song = :lmao:

Pouncer 12-05-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by JustTony (Post 7325046)
Fair enough Pouncer. I misread it then.

Safe journey.

Best Regards,

JT

No worries! I reread what I wrote and i get why you said that and how it looks. Food for thought. Thanks for the thoughtful response.:)

Pouncer 12-05-2019 08:17 AM

Made it to day 2. :)

Rough night, but managed to get some sleep. Hope everyone is well.

NeedRest 12-05-2019 08:33 AM

Day 2

Hey there!
i have scoped out an AA class to stop by at tonight that is really near by to where I live. I think that’s a blessing. I’m a bit anxious about it. In 2014 I was sober and went to AA 2-3x a week for a year. I’m sure dynamics like any group are different depending on where you go, but To me it felt like an extremely heavy place to be and I found myself more emotional after going and hearing everyone’s hurts. Emotions and feeling emotional is a trigger for me. But at least I’m at the point where I can see that. So I hope I can let go some and just be present this time around.

SoberStevie 12-05-2019 08:47 AM

Hi all! Lovely to meet everyone who has joined since I last posted. You're all amazing and doing well.
Day 18 for me. Much better sleep last night - although the dreams are beyond weird!
Red, well done you on stopping after a glass - that's progress!
Keeping going and taking it a day at a time, weekend looming and that's always more challenging, but I can do this. We all can.
Take care
Sx