SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/440808-guilty-pleasures-why-guilty-weekenders-02-05-august-2019-a.html)

STDragon 08-01-2019 07:46 PM

Thanks for the Jack Johnson tune Bim, I loved it. I had to go youtube a few more.

Picked up some parts and more wood today. Spent most of the day planning and prepping but happy with my progress.

Tomorrow we are off for a picnic at a nearby provincial park. Just gonna sit around for a few hours, twiddle on the ukulele, maybe dip my feet in the lake. And try not to think about what I could be doing at home.

MesaMan 08-01-2019 08:16 PM

Some inspiration for learning new Hand positions, PJ...

~ 'See The Light' ~ Jeff Healey ~

Mags1 08-01-2019 08:36 PM

Hiya Weekenders

MLD at last, have a great time kayaking it’ll be a good day.

MantaLady great news on the second interview next week.... I have two cats (and feed two strays who are happy being outdoor cats, I’ve tried on numerous times but they won’t have it) they’re adorable to watch and I imagine you have many enjoyable hours of watching them and keeping them out of mischief. :)

Saou, all the best for the surgery, might you still be able to get to Scotland for a holiday? Heck of a way to go from London unless you get an internal flight. Have you seen airbnb, some very reasonable places.
August is popular for birthdays it seems, mine too next week!

VMan, enjoy your holiday looking forward to the pics. :)

Ayers 08-01-2019 10:37 PM

This is just the right thread for me ! Relaxing. I'm a pro :)

Phoenix, your mention of the cello made my toes curl . With pleasure. It is something on my bucket list. I am in my 50's and I have been wondering if it is possible to start playing the cello at an advanced age.

MantaLady - hope the second interview goes well. Good sign if you are invited for a second one, I think. Holding all my thumbs for you.

Saou, good luck with the op. Hope you can still make it to Scotland.

Bimini, it is amazing how therapeutic it is to just clear up a room. I find it very satisfying too, once I get around to doing it.

Lovely thread, thank you Mags.

saoutchik 08-01-2019 11:24 PM

Welcome to Weekenders Ayers! I'm a fellow relaxation pro.

You're right about Scotland being a long way Mags, especially the Scottish Highlands. Even if I had been looking to book for a fortnight's time that was cutting it fine and I would probably have waited to the weekend to do it so perhaps getting that letter was the kick up the Khyber I needed to do something now.

Mags1 08-01-2019 11:25 PM

Hiya Ayers, good to see you :wavey:

CaptainHaddock 08-02-2019 12:24 AM

Morning everyone. I’m in and hoping that all of us are set up for an enjoyable sober weekend.

Last night I came across this endearing (and for me, very moving) article that I thought I should share, seeing as there seem to be many dog lovers amongst us. Hopefully some of you might not yet be familiar therewith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

I hope the link works and that I am not breaking any rules, but seem to remember that it’s acceptable to post links.

PhoenixJ 08-02-2019 04:05 AM

Ayres, in the last 4y I have learning does not have to stop as we age.

Great song, Mesa.

dpac414 08-02-2019 04:14 AM

PJ, the cello and piano are wonderful instruments. My mom and grandfather are both music teachers who specialize in cello and piano respectively. I always thought the cello was one of the most beautiful, rich tones. I hope you get hours and hours of enjoyment out of them. :)

theVman31 08-02-2019 04:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice story that about Hachiko.
Went for a hike this morning.
This is the large cairn on top of sliabh na mban. It's Gaelic for the mountain of the women.
There's an Irish legend about Fionn Mac Cumbaill if you want to Google.

biminiblue 08-02-2019 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by STDragon (Post 7239325)
Thanks for the Jack Johnson tune Bim, I loved it. I had to go youtube a few more.

Picked up some parts and more wood today. Spent most of the day planning and prepping but happy with my progress.

Tomorrow we are off for a picnic at a nearby provincial park. Just gonna sit around for a few hours, twiddle on the ukulele, maybe dip my feet in the lake. And try not to think about what I could be doing at home.

Dragon, no one can do "relax" like Jack Johnson. I think I was supposed to marry him, but I probably walked right by him on the beach in Hawaii that one time I was there. Well, that and he was about eight months old and I was a full grown woman. Details. Love his music.

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7239455)
Nice story that about Hachiko.
Went for a hike this morning.
This is the large cairn on top of sliabh na mban. It's Gaelic for the mountain of the women.
There's an Irish legend about Fionn Mac Cumbaill if you want to Google.

Cairn. There's a word I've never used. I like it.

https://d17fnq9dkz9hgj.cloudfront.ne...5423&width=355

Welcome Ayers.

Friday. No drinking is on my agenda because I don't drink. No matter what.

Yesterday I watched the PBS (now on Netflix) show called, "First Face of America." It was a fascinating story about 13,000 year old bones of a young woman recovered from a flooded ceynote in the Yucatan. Diving, mystery, human migration history, tragedy, success, genetics, treating her with dignity. It was fantastic.

Della1968 08-02-2019 06:30 AM

Love Jack Johnson!!

biminiblue 08-02-2019 06:48 AM

Now I want a Cairn Terrier.

Della1968 08-02-2019 07:14 AM

My cousin had one. It was a wonderful dog!

saoutchik 08-02-2019 08:33 AM

Oh, Fionn Mac Cumbaill is AKA Finn McCool, I have heard of him. Nice pic Vinny.

That's a good story about Hachiko. I heard stories of dogs walking hundreds of miles to be with their owner/companion.

I'm almost done at work - a fortnight off is great even with the op. A hernia operation is a great excuse to do nothing come to think of it.

MesaMan 08-02-2019 09:18 AM

FAC = Friday Adulting Club.

I popped outta Bed, and got with The Program before Sunrise. Re-hung some Porch Wind Chimes, and Hummingbird Feeders after securing the Lumber Beams they attached to. Put Tools and Supplies away; unlike in The Old Days. Cleaned some Flotsam and Jetsam off the Porch. Put a clean Blanket and Towel in the Truck for MesaDog to luxuriate on. Cleaned up all the Granite Countertops. Printed and e.mailed a signed Doc back to my new Truck Dealer. Printed out MesaMate's Flights for her Trip with a Gal Pal next Month to the Polish Homeland: Detroit.

This, after going Fishing yesterday and catching 2 Dinners worth of nice Trout [4 Fish]. It was a lovely 50 F [10 C] in solid Clouds yesterday up there vs. 90 F [32 C] down here. Got a free Truck Wash in this massive Thunderstorm while easing down the Mountain.

My former Days as a pretty-relentless Laptop Jockey in Worldwide Engineering Support working very long Hours intermittently stuck with me. Today, I hit both *Work* and Play intensely, and then give it all a rest. Sans Guilt.

I think the whole Guilt Trip re: not being busy 'enough' is borne out of our Calvinist History. I scrapped that thinking long ago. One thing I noticed in hitting 18 Countries during Biz Trips is that other Cultures know differently how to relax. A Sales Guy might take me out for a Weekend Drive around Taiwan. Book a Room down South there in a Honeymoon/Party Town. Rent and ride Motor Scooters around while checking out grazing Water Buffalo. Have a relaxing Meal. Hit a Music Venue that Night. Non-critical Work can wait.

From the wonderful Film 'The Secret Of Roan Inish', here's the Irish Soundtrack with a Pic I took of the McDonald Clan Castle Ruins on Islay Scotland. Although that Battle didn't turn out too well for them, they went on to enjoy great success in the Fast Food Industry. :147:

~ 'The Secret Of Roan Inish' ~ Soundtrack ~

https://i.postimg.cc/vmQgc6B7/Mc-Donalds.jpg

biminiblue 08-02-2019 09:18 AM

Sao, "VIP," Woodland Park Zoos's older silverback gorilla had emergency hernia surgery a couple years ago. He had a bit of a rough go of it, but he's almost good as new. His girls love him. This blog post is from last September:

https://blog.zoo.org/2018/09/silverb...ack-after.html

Mesa, the Calvinists. Yep. They need to let it go.

:lol: on the McDonalds thing.

I just came in from my yard. I picked my first quart of blackberries for the summer. I think I ate about a half quart while doing it. I'm topped up on Vitamin C.

MLD51 08-02-2019 09:18 AM

I need to dig out my Jack Johnson CD's. Actually what I should do is download some of his stuff to have on my phone and ipad for relaxation music while traveling on Sunday. I like to have some mellow, soothing music while I'm on planes. I have Bose noise-cancelling headphones and I put nice music on and it really cuts down on the anxiety. I'm not afraid of flying, per se, but the whole process of going to the airport and getting in a tube to hurtle through the air at an unnatural speed is a bit stressful.

biminiblue 08-02-2019 09:47 AM

How did I get *this* old and never think about a slice of bread with peanut butter and then a fresh-picked blackberry on every bite of it? I don't like peanut butter and jelly/jam - too sweet - but this was just yummy.

New food snackz!

uhoh. I'm posting about my food. Maybe it's time to log off. :)

MLD51 08-02-2019 10:00 AM

That does sound yummy, Bim. I found actual low-carb pita bread at the store the other day. It's pretty good. Blackberries are on the approved list, so is peanut butter. I know what I'm having for a snack later.