SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender Thread 8-11 March 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/436902-weekender-thread-8-11-march-2019-a.html)

Kaily 03-09-2019 11:34 AM

Thank you Captain, you made my day!

CaptainHaddock 03-09-2019 11:40 AM

Thanks Kaily, I truly meant that.

I’m watching the Alex Honnold National Geographic free solo climbing series and it’s freaking me out! And I’ve only come to the section where he is still climbing with ropes after having sustained an ankle injury, so the “ropeless” part is still to come.

saoutchik 03-09-2019 12:02 PM

Welcome to Weekenders LabGirl

I no longer have any head for heights, even watching someone climbing with ropes would make me swallow hard.

Well done Giggler!

I Googled Ville Saint-Laurent, it looks very smart. Canada deserves to be on any bucket list. I remember writing about the Saint LAWRENCE Seaway many decades ago at college, is there a connection? It is quite a feat of engineering as I recall.

MantaLady 03-09-2019 02:38 PM

I watched Free Solo tonight Captain! There were moments I felt like throwing up, not got a head for heights at all and that dude is crazy! x

biminiblue 03-09-2019 03:58 PM

I loved Free Solo! And yeah, he is super steady. I thought that MRI or whatever the brain scan they did on the Free Solo guy was interesting...mine would have been lit up like a Christmas tree.

What was that one dangerous spot called on his climb? It had some boulder-y name.

Just had a great walk for an hour in horse country. I saw eight horses, about 20 dogs, a friendly ginger cat, doves cooing in their roost, a donkey, a rooster, and a couple goats. All in all a nice sunny day.

Nite W'enders.

:lol: edit to say..."one dangerous spot" (?!) - on El Cap. Free climbing 3000 feet of sheer rock with no ropes or parachute.

theVman31 03-09-2019 09:04 PM

Morning all.

Rugby match on the agenda today.

Café :)

CaptainHaddock 03-09-2019 09:13 PM

Bim, I think that section of the climb was called “the Boulder Problem”. Another scary part for me was when he negotiated “Lung Ledge”.

I suspect someone knew of my fear of heights when the particular cliff face that he climbed was named “El Capitan”.

CaptainHaddock 03-09-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7140912)
Rugby match on the agenda today.

Morning Vinny, I guess that would be Ireland v France in the Six Nations this afternoon? May I ask which team has your strongest support?

WaterOx 03-09-2019 10:20 PM

What's up, weekend friends. Happy to be off to bed and say I enjoyed another sober weekend.

See you tomorrow morning :)

saoutchik 03-09-2019 11:04 PM

Morning Weekenders, damp start to Sunday. I hope everyone made through Saturday night.

Kaily 03-09-2019 11:22 PM

Morning all. Yes a bit miserable out there today saoutchic. I am determined to get out though. Been home alone far too much.

Gotta clean the cooker first, promised myself yesterday :(

theVman31 03-09-2019 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock (Post 7140916)
Morning Vinny, I guess that would be Ireland v France in the Six Nations this afternoon? May I ask which team has your strongest support?

Hello Captain,
Still an Ireland supporter :)
Not been converted (or corrupted) yet :)

Mags1 03-09-2019 11:41 PM

Morning Weekenders

Damp start saou? Thought I might need a boat, did it downpour! :)

Have a good sober Sunday

Willow00 03-10-2019 12:46 AM

Just a quick pop in to say happy sober Sunday to you all :)

MidnightBlue 03-10-2019 04:19 AM

Hi, weekenders.

Hope everyone is having a sober weekend doesn't matter what.

I've taken some pause after Friday because I am still struggling how to sum up my date and at the same time to avoid sounding as a total b***ch.

Ok, I am still gathering my thoughts)

MidnightBlue 03-10-2019 05:03 AM

Ok, I don't think I will find some elegant way to explain my reaction, and here it is.

The overall my date was fine. Flowers, dinner, nice interesting chat and laugh as usual.

And then there came time to unwrap my present.

When I saw it I thought "No, you can't do this to me".

It was total "Hell NO".

Yeah, now I am sounding as a spoiled b****.

It's just.. It couldn't be father away from my style and personality.

Now I don't know which of the following variants is worse:

- he didn't give it a thought and just opted for a quite cliched present which a woman is "supposed" to like;
- he really thinks I could like it;
- I give an impression of a person who could like it.

I think the third is probably the worst because it means I have to do some personal rebranding ASAP.

Ok, now I said it.

Now I am just confused.

Guys, help me out here.

Robbie64 03-10-2019 05:05 AM

Afternoon everyone. Hope everyone is well.

As others have posted, it's a damp and miserable day outside here in the UK. But I'm chilling out in the house and watching the football on TV. I plan on doing little else today as I fancy having a relaxing, lazy day!

Dee74 03-10-2019 05:11 AM

I'm not a master at this MB.

My Dad is a good guy but for 54 years he's asked beforehand and gets my mum what she wants for her birthday, because he is just crap at listening, observing and generally just crap at presents. :)

I wouldn't try to change yourself into something you're not, but I don't see the need to break the guys heart either - there's got to be a reaction between the two :)

Try not to awfulize this :)

More experienced heads than me will undoubtedly have better advice :hug:

D

theVman31 03-10-2019 05:14 AM

MB I'm the worst in the world with presents for Mrs vman. I usually disappoint I reckon. After 20 years we now usually get something for the house or some small token for the sake of giving something. Honestly I wouldn't dwell too long on it. A present is a present and the majority of us blokes suck at it :)

Hey Robbie !
Stay dry :)

MidnightBlue 03-10-2019 05:19 AM

Thank you very much for your response, Dee.

I am doing my best not to awfulize it, but it's just awful and doesn't need extra help from me. :lmao

I gave my best civilized "thank you" reaction, though I wouldn't win the Academy Reward)