SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender Thread 1-3 February 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/435932-weekender-thread-1-3-february-2019-a.html)

SoberLeigh 02-05-2019 01:56 PM

Greetings and love to all.

saoutchik 02-05-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock (Post 7116770)
Sao, I’d like to know what app you are running. It has to be more than coincidence that you always seem the first to know of events like World Nutella Day. Not long ago it was Penguin Awareness Day.

No app Captain, I just need to get out more. TBH every day is Penguin Awareness Day for me.

Glad you're feeling better MB. I have thought about another car but it would have to be much less of a major project than the Lancia. I spent every free hour I had on that to avoid thinking about drinking and I don't have another one of those in me. Also the market isn't as "fizzy" as it was a few years ago so it is a bit riskier than it was then.

Andy, good luck with your job hunting too. Being sober really helps.

STDragon 02-05-2019 07:34 PM

I do need a new fall prevention strap for my harness Saou, but I'll have to get it from somewhere a little more local. I occasionally have a need to drive one of these (only indoors tho, the bounce is never quite as dramatic):

https://youtu.be/726IaQi4UtY

Kaily 02-05-2019 10:25 PM

Morning all. Another day in Soberville.

Had lots of drinking dreams last night, bottles and bottles of white wine were being brandished about, not even my drink of choice unless desperate. Woken up feeling listless after restless night.

My life needs a makeover but I don't know where to start.

Happy Wednesday.

saoutchik 02-05-2019 11:31 PM

Lordy Dragon:)

Kaily, drinking dreams are very disconcerting, they would leave me feeling uneasy for most of the day. I treat them as reminders from our subconscious. By no longer drinking you are already giving your life a big makeover. Once you have some sober time stored up and not drinking becomes the new normal you will be in a much better position to address other areas that need changing. Right now you are doing the most important thing which is not drinking.

theVman31 02-06-2019 03:10 AM

Hey Jack!

https://youtu.be/0fz9-gqwThQ

trachemys 02-06-2019 03:47 AM

If you want to skip that too sweet toast topping there's Vegamite

one interview, one job. I can go assemble Caterpillers next month.

Dee74 02-06-2019 03:52 AM

Willows part of Oz is flooding right now - last I heard she was fine but phone and internet communications are understandably dicey.

Things are only really just starting to get repaired now.

D

STDragon 02-06-2019 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 7117206)
..but I don't know where to start...

Uuuuukkuuullleee....

just say'n.

STDragon 02-06-2019 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by trachemys (Post 7117328)
If you want to skip that too sweet toast topping there's Vegamite

one interview, one job. I can go assemble Caterpillers next month.

Ooo, nice. heavy machinery?

STDragon 02-06-2019 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7117341)
Willows part of Oz is flooding right now - last I heard she was fine but phone and internet communications are understandably dicey.

Things are only really just starting to get repaired now.

D

Oh dear, I had no idea... hope Willow get's back to normal life soon. Thanks for letting us know Dee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/w...-flooding.html

MidnightBlue 02-06-2019 04:14 AM

Afternoon, weekenders.

I spent about 2 hours in McDonalds today reading a book and trying to get my thoughts together. Now I am at the point when I have to get out of home to detach myself from intrusive thoughts.

Manta - When I quit my job I spent almost a week (!) playing Plants vs Zombies. And that is considering that I've never been a fan of computer games and last time I played one it was probably 20 or more years ago. My mind was just so wiped out and emotionally I was totally dead that I couldn't do anything more.

It's great you are planning a day of self-care.

Trach - Great to see you. Now I see that heavy machinery will be in good hands.

Ozzies - Hope you are all safe and sound. Good vibes to you.

I think I deserve some tea)

See you)

Hawkeye13 02-06-2019 04:31 AM

Hi All;

Happy sober day--congrats on the job trach :)

Kaily, I have a lot of similar feelings at the moment about the "life makeover".
I'm thinking getting back into some daily mindfulness might be a start. . . that and just getting out in Nature again.

I binge watch Kitchen Nightmare MB to detach from my own brain of late.
I'm afraid to even try a computer game as I think I'd like it too much and know the time suck could sink me. I procrastinate enough as it is . . .

MidnightBlue 02-06-2019 04:59 AM

I am intrigued, Hawkeye. I'll check kitchen nightmare.

biminiblue 02-06-2019 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue (Post 7117394)
I am intrigued, Hawkeye. I'll check kitchen nightmare.

Heh.

You'll never eat in a restaurant again.

I worked in restaurants for years. I already had/have a phobia about restaurants. Except my local fish and chips place - because my inability/refusal to make fish and chips at home overcomes my fear of kitchens/restaurant workers in this one case.

If you're even a little bit squeamish, danger. I do love Gordon Ramsey's over-the-top-dramatic exasperation, though.

MidnightBlue 02-06-2019 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 7117398)
Heh.

You'll never eat in a restaurant again.

I worked in restaurants for years. I already had/have a phobia about restaurants. Except my local fish and chips place - because my inability/refusal to make fish and chips at home overcomes my fear of kitchens/restaurant workers in this one case.

If you're even a little bit squeamish, danger. I do love Gordon Ramsey's over-the-top-dramatic exasperation, though.

Thank you for the heads up, Bim.

I am not that squeamish, BTW.

I don't know if I ever mentioned that I did 1 year in medical school and even got to the point when we worked with real cadavers to study makings of a human body. But life had different plans for me. It's a long story though.

But I think I will still take a rain check on Kitchen Nightmare and try Medici instead)

MLD51 02-06-2019 06:20 AM

Having worked in many a restaurant, I can assure you they are not ALL horribly dirty and disgusting. But many are. I have a few trusted places I go. Whenever I venture out to a new place, I cross my fingers. Just because a place looks nice in the dining room doesn't mean the kitchen is clean. But a dirty dining room usually means the kitchen is worse.

MidnightBlue 02-06-2019 06:54 AM

Ok, time to go for ice-skating.

Hope I will make some progress with my skills)

MLD51 02-06-2019 06:55 AM

Congratulations on the job, Trach. Onward!

CaptainHaddock 02-06-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7117294)
Hey Jack!

:lmao Vman, the yellow traffic light posts, road signs and last but not least the Ford Cortina mean one thing only, namely the clip was shot right here in South Africa!