SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, I'm new :-) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/434532-hi-im-new.html)

TheHook210 12-04-2018 05:53 AM

Hi, I'm new :-)

Hi everyone,

Wanted to introduce myself and share a little about my story with alcohol. I have never done this before so bear with me.

I started drinking for the first time probably right around the age of 15. I will never forget drinking so many screw drivers I threw up for the first time. Yuck! From then until about the age of 25 my drinking was very sporadic, MAYBE once a month but probably much less. I was super into video games, I moved in with my high school sweet heart at 17 and that was what we just enjoyed at the time, plus we were broke LOL so what better to do.

Fast forward to us growing up, getting ourselves successful careers and actually having money, things changed from nights in, to going out to restaurants several times a week where I learned just how much I loved to drink. I loved to drink for any ole occasion honestly, bad day, drink. Good day, drink. How can anyone watch sports with out a cold beer? The problem for me lies in the fact that like so many of you, it's not just a drink or two. It is always 6-12 beers or mixed drinks, maybe wine. What ever I was in the mood for. And no matter what time I started, I never quit until it was time to go to bed or I passed out.

The last few years I have been drinking at least three times a week to excess, within the last year four or five times a week. I have gone from 115lbs on my 5'2 frame to 145lbs. I am 33 years old I have high blood pressure, anxiety, insomnia, probably depression, over weight, no savings account because I blow it all on restaurants and booze.

For the last month or so I began to really realize I felt miserable. At first I continued to make excuses, it must be this or that, I don't drink everyday it can't be the alcohol. This was until a google search led me to the cause of my high blood pressure. Binge drinking. And if I would have been honest with the doctor about my alcohol abuse when I got my first 151/96 reading it may have saved me six months.... From there I read and read, finally coming to terms that alcohol is single handedly the cause of every single solitary issue in my life. I mean literally ALL of them. Broke, fat, can't sleep, tired, my health, my job performance. I never realized that even on my sober days my body was still so busy trying to repair the damage I couldn't feel good, and before I could ever really bounce back I was dumping more poison down my throat.

I quit last Sunday on the 25th. It was a tough first few days. I'd find myself obsessing over what life will be like without ever drinking again. But I kept busy and made it through my first sober weekend since God knows when. I wish words could describe how much BETTER I feel. I have energy for days. I sleep so so good. I wake up early and I actually feel refreshed. I cook now and realized I really enjoy it, house chores don't get behind. Hubby and I are working on our savings, taking care of debt and hoping to have our own business within 2019. Thankfully for all these years he has always been a take it or leave it drinker and is perfectly fine abstaining, great guy in general, I am lucky I did not destroy our marriage.

So 10 days in, and while of course I still struggle with my thoughts, I think I have a fighting chance to see this through. Thanks for listening :-)

Tonymblue 12-04-2018 05:58 AM

Welcome. Glad you’re here. Your story sounds like mine. Glad you made the decision to quit.

biminiblue 12-04-2018 06:26 AM

The spinning thoughts will sort themselves out with continuous sober time.

Well done on taking back your life. Keep it going. No one needs to drink, life is so much better without it.

Stronger2017 12-04-2018 06:56 AM

Welcome to SR! This community has really helped me to get and stay sober the past 15 months.

Ghostlight1 12-04-2018 07:05 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Yes, you have a fighting chance to make it to sobriety. You've already got a good start.
I'm like you, I started drinking at fourteen. And would drink alcoholicly for another thirty five years.
Alcohol became the reason for all the troubles in my life, too. At first I blew it off. Then I went from binge drinker to drinking as soon as I recovered from the last drunk. And then to near every day. It's progressive. So it's good you realize may have a problem with drink now because, believe me, it only gets worse with time. It got to the point where I obviously couldn't deny alcohol was controlling and ruining my life.
I was able to stop with help from AA and this place. It's now been ten years sober, and at the end, I was a bad drunk.

I'm glad you're here. You'll find a lot of support. So post away. We understand.

Hevyn 12-04-2018 07:12 AM

Welcome TheHook! It's wonderful to have you join our encouraging, supportive family. You never have to feel alone.

I had a similar story too - but I refused to acknowledge my addiction. I'm so glad you are - and at a young age. You'll avoid so much misery. Congratulations.

Caralara144 12-04-2018 08:19 AM

Hey there
A very big welcome ...so proud of you ..I was where you are almost a year ago ..and I can tell you honestly it's not easy at first ...but stay with it
it really does get easier and it's so so worth it
I love my life now ..I enjoy the simple things in life like reading drinking hot chocolate an binge watching Netflix ....I'm here if you need to pm
As I've said before I've 99 problems but a hangover ain't one of them 👌
One day at a time
best to you
cara x

apollo986 12-04-2018 08:35 AM

Hey Hook! thanks for sharing your story. You're off to a great start! It's amazing how much life changes for the better with continued abstinence.

You made a wise decision. Look forward to hearing about your continued progress.

apollo

Marcutah1 12-04-2018 08:35 AM

TheHook, sounds like my story as well. I quit on May 5th 2018 and I have had to quell the cravings many times. Sounds like you have a solid grasp of the situation and by making the right decisions you will get through the hard stuff.

Anna 12-04-2018 09:22 AM

Welcome, and good job on 10 days of sobriety!

TheHook210 12-04-2018 09:25 AM

Thank all of you guys for the warm welcome :01: It's great to be in such good company.

Helianthus 12-04-2018 01:53 PM

Welcome TheHook210 and thanks for sharing your story

Well done on your sober time that's brilliant :c011:

Take care and keep up the good work

MindfulMan 12-04-2018 02:08 PM

EXCELLENT job getting sober! Congrats!

Now what's your plan for staying sober?

There are many methods to maintain sobriety. AA is just one such methed.

For a lot of us part of it was admitting that just one drink will lead us right back to where we were, but worse.

Keep posting. This community is one great resource for sobriety. There are tons of forums for 12 Step information like AA. There are also forums for secular recovery methods like AVRT. There are various types of talk therapy (psychodynamic and cognitive were useful for me, and your doctor can help monitor your physical improvement. A psychiatrist can help with any underlying depression, anxiety or bipolar that sometimes ate unmasked when addiction is removed.

Sobriety does not just happen.

PhoenixJ 12-04-2018 02:21 PM

Welcome to SR, Hook. A safe and supportive community. A good share- a good start. Now comes the hard bit- keeping it up (well for me it was hard). Daily support is the key for me. Routine of a recovery plan, not just good intentions and 'hoping'I will stay sober. I have to work a it every day. My routine is logging in here in the mornings- then again at night..at least. I go to meetings ,see a psychologist (CBT0 and have regular health checks with my GP (especially for my depression). There is a lot of info in the Sticky's about plans and stuff. I also joined a 'class'. Class of March 2016, I find having a group of people I get to know, share with and now call friends very good. There is the Class of Dec ;18 group you could look at..I also join other threads as well.
Support to you.

Gilmer 12-04-2018 02:42 PM

Welcome, The Hook! You're off to a sane and sensible start. Take the suggestions from this thread and other places you're looking to for support. The more "tools" in your "toolbox" the better!

Also, just take your time to read around the boards here. There are so many people you can both identify with, commiserate with, or find encouragement and inspiration from.

This site was a lifeline for me. Five years later, I'm still here--because I love the fellowship!

It's a really nice feeling to know that your insights and experience actually have the potential to help others.

Dee74 12-04-2018 03:28 PM

Glad to have you join us TheHook210 :)

D

TheHook210 12-04-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MindfulMan (Post 7069385)
EXCELLENT job getting sober! Congrats!

Now what's your plan for staying sober?

There are many methods to maintain sobriety. AA is just one such methed.

For a lot of us part of it was admitting that just one drink will lead us right back to where we were, but worse.

Keep posting. This community is one great resource for sobriety. There are tons of forums for 12 Step information like AA. There are also forums for secular recovery methods like AVRT. There are various types of talk therapy (psychodynamic and cognitive were useful for me, and your doctor can help monitor your physical improvement. A psychiatrist can help with any underlying depression, anxiety or bipolar that sometimes ate unmasked when addiction is removed.

Sobriety does not just happen.

Plan for staying sober right now is well no set plan really, I hope that’s not a bad thing. I’m not interested in AA. I have sought out a therapist for my anxiety issues and my issues with alcohol that I will be seeing on a weekly basis. I spend time every single day reading books. Alcohol Lied To Me by Craig Beck is a fantastic book, I’m on my second read of it also reading Allen Carrs book Easy way to control alcohol. Really helped get me focused. I also spend a bunch of time here reading through posts. I love the Reasons I Should Drink Today thread, great stuff. My health issues from having high blood pressure and my Husband and I wanting to have a child soon also really really motivates me. And while anxiety helped drive me to drinking it also drives my self preservation, I don’t want to die young.

My Dad was hospitalized for a possible stroke or heart attack tonight, he is okay thank God but has some issues going on he needs to see his cardiologist for first thing tomorrow..I didn’t cave to drinking though. I am still super stressed and having major anxiety over the situation. But I am not going to drink. The fact that only a very small part of me even wanted to is a huge accomplishment for me.

If I slip, I will definitely do something different. Going back to drinking is just not an option for me. Life is so much better without it. I really do realize that.

TheHook210 12-04-2018 07:27 PM

I can’t seem to find the “thanks” button on my mobile phone browser but I wanted to thank everyone else who replied. Love love love all the advice and I take all of it to heart. :D

least 12-04-2018 07:31 PM

Welcome! :) My current sobriety plan is daily visits here. I used to see an addiction counselor but not for the last three years.

A good way to use this site is to post if you have thoughts of drinking. Tell us your thoughts so we can talk you out of it. :grouphug:

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. :) I hope your dad recovers quickly. :hug:

Dee74 12-04-2018 10:16 PM

Plan for staying sober right now is well no set plan really, I hope that’s not a bad thing.
Well, not if you want to leave your recovery and your future to chance :)

A plan is a great thing to have IMO,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html

D