SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Now or never, day one (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/432407-now-never-day-one.html)

Longlady 09-17-2018 05:52 AM

Now or never, day one

So today is the day and I feel relieved. I chose this date as my quitting date and from today my life will get better. There's no alcohol in my house, had my last glass of wine and poured down the sink what was left in the house last night.

It's not just about quitting it's about a whole new chapter of my life. I can make plans without having to factor in drinking days. I don't want to drink any more and I really feel that if I don't stop now my life is going to go downhill and I'm going to let the children down.

I need to quit but more importantly I want to. Alcohol has no purpose or place in my life any more.

So I'm signing up to sober October just to stop any questions from people and after that I will probably say I've decided I prefer not drinking.

So in my head I need to keep reminding myself "I don't drink". I can't do the occasional drink, I need to be completely alcohol free.

doggonecarl 09-17-2018 05:55 AM

Rooting for you!

zzzzzzzzzzzz 09-17-2018 06:08 AM

Day one for me too...this weekend almost kill me...i really, really need to stop...ill try to keep up with you...wish you all the best.

MantaLady 09-17-2018 06:42 AM

Great decision Longlady! Life really is better sober and wish you all the best xx

Longlady 09-17-2018 06:50 AM

Thanks.

I feel that I need to get rid of my favourite wine glass too. I was looking at it this morning while emptying the dishwasher thinking to myself that I don't need this glass any more.

I've got other different wine glasses it's just that particular one that's my glass and I worry that seeing it will be a trigger. I'll take it to the charity shop tomorrow or maybe I should put it in a bag and smash it so it's gone forever.

Michael2018 09-17-2018 07:01 AM

Congratulations Longlady! It's a great day to get sober.

Getting rid of a favourite drinking glass sounds very sensible.

soberandhonest 09-17-2018 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Longlady (Post 7013271)
Thanks.

I feel that I need to get rid of my favourite wine glass too. I was looking at it this morning while emptying the dishwasher thinking to myself that I don't need this glass any more.

I've got other different wine glasses it's just that particular one that's my glass and I worry that seeing it will be a trigger. I'll take it to the charity shop tomorrow or maybe I should put it in a bag and smash it so it's gone forever.

I vote for smashing it to little tiny pieces!

Anna 09-17-2018 07:26 AM

I'm glad you're on Day 1! Great!

I don't have any wine glasses in my home. We never serve alcohol here, so it's always a safe place for me.

yinzer 09-17-2018 07:43 AM

Glad the first day of a better life is here for you, Longlady!

citygirl30 09-17-2018 08:06 AM

Hi there Longlady! I thrashed my favorite wine glass two days. I think that was a very good decision for me. I will see what other drinking paraphernalia I need to toss today too. Love my margarita glasses, but they have to go too.

NerfThis 09-17-2018 08:09 AM

We will all be rooting for you!

I vote smashing the glass too :) I can't actually smash mine as they're all high value themed tiki mugs etc (plus my husband is a drinker) so I opted for making other glasses more significant. Now I have a special cup for cola, one for milkshakes lol.

Ladysadie 09-17-2018 08:14 AM

Sending prayers for your strength for staying sober. I too found packing up my wine glasses and taking them to Goodwill gave me less of a desire to drink.

fini 09-17-2018 08:55 AM

yes, smash it to smithereens. there is value in symbolic gestures.
and then you can go out and spend time finding the perfect mug for a great cup of hot chocolate or herbal chai:)

Gabe1980 09-17-2018 09:48 AM

Brilliant! Congratulations on your day one. Take good care of yourself 💗💗

PhoenixJ 09-17-2018 10:11 AM

A good post
A good start
Keep posting
Support to you.

Hawkeye13 09-17-2018 10:25 AM

you can do it!

yinzer 09-18-2018 05:18 AM

How’s it going, Longlady?

Longlady 09-18-2018 09:17 AM

Day two and It's been a trying day with family "dramas". Would usually be an excuse to open the wine but I haven't so feels good to say that.

Have had to stop myself a few times today thinking that this is forever and getting a bit overwhelmed but I suppose after twenty years of this behaviour it does seem like a huge decision. Just thinking of today at the moment.

aasharon90 09-18-2018 09:48 AM

Forever does seem like forever. And it did seem
that way for me at the very beginning of my recovery
journey some 28 yrs of one day at a time ago.

Staying within the day or 24 hours a day made
it easy so I wouldn't get to far a head of myself.
Kept the day contained and life's big problems
within the area I could handle and remain sober.

As long as there was no alcohol in my home
to reach for when life's daily problems got
too trying and had my program of recovery
as a guideline allowed me to continue to be
successful in my own sobriety.

I realized that life was gonna continue to
be and I had to know how to deal with it
without reaching for alcohol or any other
unhealthy devices that would be harmful
or dangerous to me and those around me.

Addiction is absolutely serious and a huge
problem for many. However, there are many