SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Went to the dentist today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422193-went-dentist-today.html)

Pulaski 01-19-2018 03:45 PM

Went to the dentist today

Day 29

As per the title, I went for the first time in about 3 years. It wasn't a pleasant or painless experience; 2 fillings, some industrial level descaling and warnings of more serious problems to come if I don't change my ways. I never thought about it but I suppose oral hygiene was just another thing that would have got in the way of my drinking. I can't remember but I somehow doubt I bothered to clean and floss before collapsing fully clothed on top of the bed (when I even made it that far) .

TYG2 01-19-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 6753700)
Day 29

As per the title, I went for the first time in about 3 years. It wasn't a pleasant or painless experience; 2 fillings, some industrial level descaling and warnings of more serious problems to come if I don't change my ways. I never thought about it but I suppose oral hygiene was just another thing that would have got in the way of my drinking. I can't remember but I somehow doubt I bothered to clean and floss before collapsing fully clothed on top of the bed (when I even made it that far) .

Oh Pulaski...My last binge about 2 month long...I remember being the same way plus avoiding showering...ick, changing my bedding.

Worse I cancelled Dentist, Blood test, Eye appt., Mammogram and now 4 weeks sober I STILL haven't done them. Too tired insomnia for 10 night's now...but everyone says it will pass. Kudos to you for getting it done!

Anna 01-19-2018 04:37 PM

I neglected all aspects of health care when I was drinking. Good for you for being brave enough to get out and take care of your health.

D122y 01-19-2018 05:03 PM

Pul,

I would brush sporadically when I was a drunk.

Often I would wake up after a binge, cotton mouth, headache, sick, red eyed.

I would look at my fat bloated face in the mirror and shake my head.

I knew I was addicted but couldn't stop until I found this site.

My desire to quit combined w the information and participation here, saved me.

These days I am much better. I go to work and folks are suprised by my interest.

I used to avoid interactions because I reeked of booze and was very weak.

Getting over the physical addiction was hard and horrible. The mental healing was/is equally difficult.

Relapse looms. I am beginning to stabilize nicely. Drug free except....

I just popped a zyrtec because my nose started running away.

Otherwise, I am present and beginning to feel nicely human for the first time in my life.

Stay clean.

Thanks.

rascalwhiteoak 01-19-2018 05:55 PM

I definitely bleed a lot less during my dental cleanings in sobriety. Flossing is one of those functions functional alcoholics fail at.