SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New...and not so new. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/420605-new-not-so-new.html)

TheToddman 12-20-2017 08:30 PM

New...and not so new.

Heya folks,

Well, how do I make this concise? Not easily :D

I'm (quickly) approaching four months of sobriety (alcohol abuse) and through the haze and fog of 'post acute withdrawal' I happened upon this place. Great to meet you guys. My journey has had a number of dubious 'detours' that culminated in a 30-day stay at rehab which I consider the pivotal moment of liberty from imminent self-destruction. I engaged over several years in the lather-rinse-repeat insanity of 'controlled drinking' only to hit the proverbial reset button after each progressively nasty relapse. I believe I've turned 'that corner' but am taking my recovery in bite-sized chunks (insert the 'one day at a time' interjection here) and have a cautiously optimistic perspective as a result.

I credit a number of things to me getting past day 100: a daily workout regime, a (mostly passive) involvement in support groups such as A.A., my music, my spirituality and a resolve that has had enough of the isolation-to-consumption rhythm that practically destroyed everything including my life. I don't really hold any one aspect of that recovery over another; I believe balance has been key in getting me to my next 24 hours.

I look forward to chatting with you guys soon and hope to be able to contribute to what seems like a very vibrant community.

By the way, my name's Todd :supercool

least 12-20-2017 08:33 PM

Welcome to the family! :) You'll find a lot of support and wisdom here. Glad to have you join us. :)

SoberLeigh 12-20-2017 08:35 PM

Welcome, Toddman; very glad that you found us and this supportive, understanding and encouraging forum.

Very well done and congratulations on over 100 days of sobriety.

Zanna 12-20-2017 08:56 PM

:welcome

D122y 12-20-2017 09:26 PM

Todd,

I suffered while drinking and I suffered getting this clean.

Time healed me to this state.

I come here and read and post. I work out all the time. I eat healthy alot.

I don't give advice anymore. What do I really know.

I support you. I need this place.

This place saved life.

I am getting better everyday.

I have been obsessing for years.

I remember when I was young I would obsess punishment from my Dad. He would restrict me and just forget. I would be on restriction for nearly the whole summer. I hated my Dad for that.

Anyway...I forgive him.

Talking about my problems here and deciding I am not going to give up is hardening me and calming me.

Thanks.

DontRemember 12-20-2017 09:58 PM

Welcome,Todd! Congrats on your days!

Dropsie 12-20-2017 10:03 PM

Thanks for joining us.

Its a great place.

For me, it was all about real acceptance that I am addicted to alcohol, and that each time really will end like the last.

Once I accepted that, which sadly took some trial and error, I was done.

I feel like the MasterCard ad -- Easy, not always. Worth it, absolutely.

Let us know if we can help.

DontRemember 12-20-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dropsie (Post 6715514)
Let us know if we can help.

This is true as hell!! Post here if you feel like drinking and before buying!!! I didn't for a while..and...:dee

b0glerd69 12-21-2017 12:01 AM

Hi Todd and welcome. SR is a great place to hear other's stories and to seek support and help when the going gets tough. Good luck with your recovery.

Stronger2017 12-21-2017 12:42 AM

Welcome to SR Todd. Lots of great support here.

Tonymblue 12-21-2017 05:23 AM

Hey Todd. Great job.

Culture 12-21-2017 08:36 AM

:c012: Todd

Dee74 12-21-2017 07:00 PM

Welcome and congrats on your sober time Todd :)

D

Carlotta 12-21-2017 08:00 PM

Welcome to SR Todd, you will find a lot of support and new friends here

Zebra1275 12-22-2017 05:04 AM

Welcome to SR!