SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I hate living like this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418612-i-hate-living-like.html)

Hendrix 11-08-2017 09:20 AM

I hate living like this

But I don't know how to start stopping again..... I can't, won't go to meetings

tomsteve 11-08-2017 09:27 AM

then maybe start working one of the other recovery programs?
i notice "recognozing my AV under your username- so how about putting that program into action?

biminiblue 11-08-2017 09:29 AM

So, in the three years of being a member of this site, what have you tried?

If I had been trying to quit for three years unsuccessfully, I think I'd be ready to try just about anything.

Can you get some meds to help detox? I know in the UK they want you to taper down. Apparently that isn't working for you.

A cold quit might if you have medical backup. Tell the doctors!

ChloeRose63 11-08-2017 09:30 AM

Which one is it:
can't go to meetings for help or won't go to meetings for help?

SoberLeigh 11-08-2017 09:31 AM

I agree with tomsteve, Hendrix.

Rational Recovery could prove very beneficial. Also I believe that you can find AVRT worksheets online.

There is a better way to live your life.

Give it all that you have, Hendrix.

DontRemember 11-08-2017 09:48 AM

What have you been doing to try and stay quit? If you won't go to meetings...How about going to church? You'd be amazed of how much you can get out of what they talk about if you mentally reframe what is said towards booze. I'm not religious,but go sometimes and just put everything being said as in they're talking about addiction. Works quite well for me. I also go to meetings from time to time.

ScottFromWI 11-08-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hendrix (Post 6665691)
But I don't know how to start stopping again..... I can't, won't go to meetings

First i'd recommend making a list of things you CAN do vs. things you can't or won't do. A few to get you started:

1. Call your doctor
2. Make an appointment with an addiction counselor or therapist.
3. Speak with a clergy/religious leader if you belong to or associate with a church
4. Check out some of the suggestions for self-led recovery programs others have listed
5. Looks for recovery related readings at your local library
6. Make a regimented plan for your day that involves activities other than drinking
7. Get rid of any alcohol you have available and don't buy any more.
8. Spend as much time as you can here learning about alchoholism, you'll find a ton of support and people who understand.

Anna 11-08-2017 11:18 AM

Hi Hendrix,

We have a lot of info on various recovery programs here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Outonthetiles 11-08-2017 02:42 PM

Alcohol kills. We have to do whatever is necessary to save our lives, in many cases that involves meetings.

Dee74 11-08-2017 03:04 PM

Hi Hendrix
maybe it's better to focus on what you will do, bro? :dunno

make a list - start the ball rolling..

D

Hevyn 11-08-2017 03:05 PM

I'm sorry you're in pain, Hendrix - but really glad you came back to us.

Hawkeye13 11-08-2017 03:10 PM

I quit without meetings doing many of the things listed above.
If meetings are what you won't do, fair enough, but planning and executing
those things you will do is the next step.

I really understand how hard it is to take that first step,
but only you can do it though we will be here to support and cheer you on.
There's a much better life without the booze waiting for for Hendrix :grouphug:

joandmelandhan 11-08-2017 03:15 PM

Hendrix I get it. We all do. Thing is though you're NOT a hopeless case. There is always hope. Is there something you can commit to? By that I mean tomorrow. Do a day. Just 1 day. Commit right now. Please.
Could you bear to have your last sip and get the rest of the booze out of your home tonight?
Could you take a few days off work and focus on one sober day, then another then another......?
Could you get to see your GP?
Could you tell your partner or children or mum or dad or brother or sister? Ask someone to come sit with you for a while?
Could you post here every hour, half hour, 10 minutes.......whatever it takes to reach out and get some support?
Please don't delay and by the way you can 100% do this!
Sending you support tonight take care xxx

anxiousrock 11-08-2017 05:15 PM

If you can’t go to meetings, maybe ordering some of the books or even just self help books will help?
I do find the support of AA very comforting.