SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First time to post (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/418139-first-time-post.html)

Dreamer013 10-28-2017 07:42 PM

First time to post

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, even though I’ve read a bunch of amazing stories on here. Long story short, I decided I needed to officially quit drinking (on Oct 1st) when I called into work for the second time since the end of Aug. I found an addiction counselor and started going to AA. Everything was going great for a couple weeks. I was struggling a little on the weekends, but not during the week. Then last weekend I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to drink. Big mistake! I have drank 2 other times since then. I didn’t see my counselor during this time and I didn’t go to any AA meetings. I DID however let my counselor know that I have been drinking...which she figured because I hadn’t been reaching out to her. I’m going to see her tomorrow and try to also make a meeting. I know I probably shouldn’t, but I feel embarrassed to say in front of others that I have a new sobriety date. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Coldfusion 10-28-2017 07:53 PM

Welcome, Dreamer!

Originally Posted by Dreamer013 (Post 6653482)
Any advice would be great.

Get a sponsor and start working the Steps!

Read around and post often here at SoberRecovery!

least 10-28-2017 08:13 PM

Lots of us have had to change our sobriety date. I changed mine more than I'd like to remember. But the important date is the date on which I got serious and never drank again. For me, that was almost 8 yrs ago. You can make this date your last sobriety date by staying sober. :)

I hope our support can help! :hug:

Dee74 10-28-2017 09:02 PM

Hi and welcome Dreamer :)

My advice is be honest - clean slate, no secrets weighing you down.

Leave yourself free to fight for your recovery with both hands, y'know?

D

Ghostlight1 10-28-2017 09:07 PM

I hear you. When I first started to try and get sober, if I was feeling good and decided, 'Hey, I'm better why not drink?' And I did. More times than I can even recall.
I had to get serious. It took me quite awhile, too. Even though I was getting the same result over and over.
Sober for awhile, then drink. I guess that's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I agree with the above, get a sponsor. work the steps, see your counselor.
Believe me, you'll save yourself a lot of misery and regret. And come here, too.
Welcome to the forums. we're here to help. Keep coming back.

hpdw 10-29-2017 04:53 AM

Welcome Dreamer013 hope to see you around here often .
Everyone is different but you will see quite a few people around here including me who picked up a drink when they felt better only to find out they went right back to where they were and often worse ,in my case much worse . I had to finally accept I am never going to be a normal drinker no matter how long I am sober . I also accept recovery from alcoholism is always going to be a work in action , action being the key work as opposed to inaction .

PurpleKnight 10-29-2017 02:05 PM

Welcome to the Forum Dreamer!! :wave: