Notices

First time to post

Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time to post

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, even though I’ve read a bunch of amazing stories on here. Long story short, I decided I needed to officially quit drinking (on Oct 1st) when I called into work for the second time since the end of Aug. I found an addiction counselor and started going to AA. Everything was going great for a couple weeks. I was struggling a little on the weekends, but not during the week. Then last weekend I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to drink. Big mistake! I have drank 2 other times since then. I didn’t see my counselor during this time and I didn’t go to any AA meetings. I DID however let my counselor know that I have been drinking...which she figured because I hadn’t been reaching out to her. I’m going to see her tomorrow and try to also make a meeting. I know I probably shouldn’t, but I feel embarrassed to say in front of others that I have a new sobriety date. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Dreamer!

Originally Posted by Dreamer013 View Post
Any advice would be great.
Get a sponsor and start working the Steps!

Read around and post often here at SoberRecovery!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lots of us have had to change our sobriety date. I changed mine more than I'd like to remember. But the important date is the date on which I got serious and never drank again. For me, that was almost 8 yrs ago. You can make this date your last sobriety date by staying sober.

I hope our support can help!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dreamer

My advice is be honest - clean slate, no secrets weighing you down.

Leave yourself free to fight for your recovery with both hands, y'know?

D
Old 10-28-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you. When I first started to try and get sober, if I was feeling good and decided, 'Hey, I'm better why not drink?' And I did. More times than I can even recall.
I had to get serious. It took me quite awhile, too. Even though I was getting the same result over and over.
Sober for awhile, then drink. I guess that's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I agree with the above, get a sponsor. work the steps, see your counselor.
Believe me, you'll save yourself a lot of misery and regret. And come here, too.
Welcome to the forums. we're here to help. Keep coming back.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Dreamer013 hope to see you around here often .
Everyone is different but you will see quite a few people around here including me who picked up a drink when they felt better only to find out they went right back to where they were and often worse ,in my case much worse . I had to finally accept I am never going to be a normal drinker no matter how long I am sober . I also accept recovery from alcoholism is always going to be a work in action , action being the key work as opposed to inaction .
Old 10-29-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dreamer!!