SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   40 year old binge drinker (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416889-40-year-old-binge-drinker.html)

DontRemember 10-04-2017 12:25 PM

I was like you in that when I stuck to beer(s) I was 'in control'. Then after a few beers, I'd sometimes have a shot or 5+ shots. Then, I would have a blowup with my now exgf(who also drinks too much) and we'd both apologize the next day(sometimes a few days later)..Then.. I was drinking daily to 'maintain' and 'function',getting dui(s),losing business and friends..My point is..It progresses. Before I knew it I was trapped in my mind with 85% of my focus on drinking. I'm so happy to have a free mind again.

Readytodothis 10-04-2017 12:34 PM

Hi Archie, I'm only on Day 2 (this time...my last time), however have had several relapses. I've tried to moderate too many times to count, and it (obviously) has never worked. I think I am finally accepting that it's not possible, at least for me. No holds barred after that first drink. I have a 2 year old who should not have to see me like that. She shouldn't have to be subjected to that during her childhood. I want to be the best mom I can and binge drinking/blacking out just does not fit into that picture. Good luck with whatever you choose! As others have said, being completely sober is much easier than fighting with moderation.

tomsteve 10-04-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Archie12 (Post 6625691)
....and it (blackouts and stupid stuff) doesn’t happen all of the time but without fail they will happen . This past weekend it happened again in front of a bunch of people - golfers , about 60 of them and I was the most tanked. If I stick to beer I know I will be okay for awhile and then I’ll be having another one of those mornings (wtf) did I say or do last night.

i didnt get blackouts every time i drank, but every time i got a blackout i was drinkin.
i didnt do and say insane things every time i was drunk, but every time i did and said insane things i was drunk.

i hope youre not thinkin about moderation. seems if you could do that, you already would be able to.

" Should I try to just stick to beer ? '
seems if you could do that you already would be doing that.

AM100 10-04-2017 01:25 PM

One of the worst days I can remember was when I finally realized I just could not have that first drink at all. That really sucked because I liked drinking so much. But once I fully understood that, it was easier to make my mind up to let alcohol go.

However, it took 5 years after that realization before I finally committed to stoping, I just kept drinking to oblivion until the repercussions became more than I could take, I just hope I stay the course and follow through.

Dee74 10-04-2017 03:09 PM

Hi Archie

I was terrified to think about not drinking. My life was all about drinking and my drinking defined me.

I thought life sober would be dull and grey, with no joy.

The good news is it's no such thing. It meant a lot of changes for me, sure,. but they were good changes. I rediscovered a me I had forgotten about - and I could look myself in the eyes in the mirror again.

You won't find many people here trying to moderate - and there's a reason for that.

I have a toxic relationship with alcohol. When I drink alcohol all my good intent goes out the window...so I stopped drinking alcohol.

Trying sorta not to drink too much is indulging that toxic relationship - the outcome will always be the same, sooner or later

D