SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Music drives me insane. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/415000-music-drives-me-insane.html)

thomas11 08-26-2017 11:08 AM

Music drives me insane.

I have known that music is a trigger for me for quite some time. I tried listening to some in the last couple weeks and its horrible. Am I not in recovery yet? I ask because when I listen to this music I want to drink.

ChloeRose63 08-26-2017 11:11 AM

Drink to 'get into the groove' or because the music drives you crazy? What kind of music are you talking about???

Outonthetiles 08-26-2017 11:11 AM

Music in some circumstances is still a definite trigger for me.

biminiblue 08-26-2017 11:15 AM

I had to switch to classical or Christian music only in the first few months of sobriety - not only because of the triggers, but also to settle my jangled nerves. Turns out I like that music still to this day. No negative messages, no sad songs...just pleasant music.

I do still listen to my MP3 player when I'm out on hikes, and it has regular music from back-in-the-day and it doesn't trigger me anymore, but I couldn't listen to it in early sobriety.

thomas11 08-26-2017 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 (Post 6586747)
Drink to 'get into the groove' or because the music drives you crazy? What kind of music are you talking about???

some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKox...WwuIO4EBHyyvjt

Its American bands, may not even resonate with you.

LisainBC 08-26-2017 11:20 AM

You are not alone, I can’t listen to music at home, it makes me want to drink and if I am drinking it makes me drink too much. I can listen to music when driving and when running but that’s it. It's frustrating, but maybe in time it won't be a trigger?

biminiblue 08-26-2017 11:20 AM

Well, Sublime is pretty much party/drinking music, and No Doubt has that jagged rapid beat which would get my brain moving too quickly, so yeah it would make a drink sound like a good idea. You're just a week away from your relapse, don't test yourself!

Try some classical piano.

strategery 08-26-2017 11:25 AM

Why not do something else like working out when you're listening to the music? It is a bit triggering for awhile, but by doing something else, you start associating the music with something new.

Many of the songs in the aerobics classes I was attending when newly recovering were directly focused on alcohol, drinking shots and partying. They don't bother me any more.

tomsteve 08-26-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 6586743)
I have known that music is a trigger for me for quite some time. I tried listening to some in the last couple weeks and its horrible. Am I not in recovery yet? I ask because when I listen to this music I want to drink.

imo, yes, you are IN recovery. if ya werent, ya wouldnt recognize the problem.

might want to find a different genre of music or not listen to music.

i couldnt listen to my preferred genre of music for a while after getting sober.

Berrybean 08-26-2017 01:19 PM

I always used to need background noise to distract me from my thoughts. Now I like to think, and really appreciate some peace and quiet.

I'd say that if you are changing then that could be an indicator that you are recovering.

BB

Fly N Buy 08-26-2017 01:29 PM

Crank some Frank!

DarklingSong 08-26-2017 01:29 PM

I just posted about this on the weekender thread.
Music can alter my mood massively. I was always drinking heavily when I went to see bands. But I just saw on the weekender thread that one of my favourite songwriters, that I would associate with serious drinking, is now sober. I think this will help me listen to him again now that I am not wasted all the time.....
Its amazing the power of associations when it comes to addiction.

thomas11 08-26-2017 01:42 PM

I shut it down. Makes me crazy.

Aellyce 08-26-2017 01:50 PM

Hi Jeff,

This is an older thread about a similar question. I also posted in it so won't repeat those things here, but it's a well-known phenomenon with biological explanations, if that helps at all :)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-problem.html

I think it is a good idea to turn off the music that makes you feel that way, what would be the point of listening anyway? Hope you are doing well otherwise.

heavencanwait 08-26-2017 02:06 PM

Music can stir up old memories.

Dee74 08-26-2017 03:55 PM

Hey Jeff

you recently drank so I think there's something holding you back from full commitment.

I think the music is another manifestation of that.

would it be far to say you're torn between being the guy who used to listen to that music - and everything that came with it....and being the guy who wants to be sober?

or is it the life you miss?

D

thomas11 08-26-2017 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6587002)
Hey Jeff

you recently drank so I think there's something holding you back from full commitment.

would it be far to say you're torn between being the guy who used to listen to that music - and everything that came with it....and being the guy who wants to be sober?

D

You are right. I need sleep at the moment and that' a good thing.

Dee74 08-26-2017 08:26 PM

I hope you'll expliore that idea a little more Jeff - if not here, somewhere.

As hard as it is to go poking around in that rawness, I think thats at the heart of your recovery journey.

D

hpdw 08-26-2017 11:02 PM

This is familiar , we have a patio area next to my man cave which is a lovely area to sit on a sunny day. When I was drinking there was always music on streaming through one of the phones to a bluetooth speaker . Now that i'm sober we still sit there and maybe my wife and or son will have a couple of drinks as i'm having my coffee or long soft drink , thats fine with me but when the music goes on it irritates me . I used to find my sons music uplifting and my wifes irish tunes quite cheery but now ,well as I say they annoy me .

thomas11 08-27-2017 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6587002)
Hey Jeff

D

You bring up an interesting point, and I think its amazing that you could deduce that reasoning about me simply via a message board. You are correct, I want to be a responsible sober adult, but when I listen to music it takes me back 25 years when my life was like living in a bad movie. Did some crazy crazy things. I simply cannot listen to the music I listened to when I was young. All I ever really listen to in the car is talk radio, and it suits me fine.

Music tends to make me look backwards, and I feel I need to look forward.