Notices

Music drives me insane.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music drives me insane.

I have known that music is a trigger for me for quite some time. I tried listening to some in the last couple weeks and its horrible. Am I not in recovery yet? I ask because when I listen to this music I want to drink.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Drink to 'get into the groove' or because the music drives you crazy? What kind of music are you talking about???
Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Music in some circumstances is still a definite trigger for me.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to switch to classical or Christian music only in the first few months of sobriety - not only because of the triggers, but also to settle my jangled nerves. Turns out I like that music still to this day. No negative messages, no sad songs...just pleasant music.

I do still listen to my MP3 player when I'm out on hikes, and it has regular music from back-in-the-day and it doesn't trigger me anymore, but I couldn't listen to it in early sobriety.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Drink to 'get into the groove' or because the music drives you crazy? What kind of music are you talking about???
some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKox...WwuIO4EBHyyvjt

Its American bands, may not even resonate with you.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are not alone, I can’t listen to music at home, it makes me want to drink and if I am drinking it makes me drink too much. I can listen to music when driving and when running but that’s it. It's frustrating, but maybe in time it won't be a trigger?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, Sublime is pretty much party/drinking music, and No Doubt has that jagged rapid beat which would get my brain moving too quickly, so yeah it would make a drink sound like a good idea. You're just a week away from your relapse, don't test yourself!

Try some classical piano.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why not do something else like working out when you're listening to the music? It is a bit triggering for awhile, but by doing something else, you start associating the music with something new.

Many of the songs in the aerobics classes I was attending when newly recovering were directly focused on alcohol, drinking shots and partying. They don't bother me any more.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I have known that music is a trigger for me for quite some time. I tried listening to some in the last couple weeks and its horrible. Am I not in recovery yet? I ask because when I listen to this music I want to drink.
imo, yes, you are IN recovery. if ya werent, ya wouldnt recognize the problem.

might want to find a different genre of music or not listen to music.

i couldnt listen to my preferred genre of music for a while after getting sober.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always used to need background noise to distract me from my thoughts. Now I like to think, and really appreciate some peace and quiet.

I'd say that if you are changing then that could be an indicator that you are recovering.

BB
Old 08-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Crank some Frank!

Old 08-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just posted about this on the weekender thread.
Music can alter my mood massively. I was always drinking heavily when I went to see bands. But I just saw on the weekender thread that one of my favourite songwriters, that I would associate with serious drinking, is now sober. I think this will help me listen to him again now that I am not wasted all the time.....
Its amazing the power of associations when it comes to addiction.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I shut it down. Makes me crazy.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

This is an older thread about a similar question. I also posted in it so won't repeat those things here, but it's a well-known phenomenon with biological explanations, if that helps at all
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-problem.html

I think it is a good idea to turn off the music that makes you feel that way, what would be the point of listening anyway? Hope you are doing well otherwise.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Music can stir up old memories.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Jeff

you recently drank so I think there's something holding you back from full commitment.

I think the music is another manifestation of that.

would it be far to say you're torn between being the guy who used to listen to that music - and everything that came with it....and being the guy who wants to be sober?

or is it the life you miss?

D
Old 08-26-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey Jeff

you recently drank so I think there's something holding you back from full commitment.

would it be far to say you're torn between being the guy who used to listen to that music - and everything that came with it....and being the guy who wants to be sober?

D
You are right. I need sleep at the moment and that' a good thing.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll expliore that idea a little more Jeff - if not here, somewhere.

As hard as it is to go poking around in that rawness, I think thats at the heart of your recovery journey.

D
Old 08-26-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is familiar , we have a patio area next to my man cave which is a lovely area to sit on a sunny day. When I was drinking there was always music on streaming through one of the phones to a bluetooth speaker . Now that i'm sober we still sit there and maybe my wife and or son will have a couple of drinks as i'm having my coffee or long soft drink , thats fine with me but when the music goes on it irritates me . I used to find my sons music uplifting and my wifes irish tunes quite cheery but now ,well as I say they annoy me .
Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey Jeff

D
You bring up an interesting point, and I think its amazing that you could deduce that reasoning about me simply via a message board. You are correct, I want to be a responsible sober adult, but when I listen to music it takes me back 25 years when my life was like living in a bad movie. Did some crazy crazy things. I simply cannot listen to the music I listened to when I was young. All I ever really listen to in the car is talk radio, and it suits me fine.

Music tends to make me look backwards, and I feel I need to look forward.