SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello from Venice Beach! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412544-hello-venice-beach.html)

SoberSurf 07-10-2017 04:39 PM

Hello from Venice Beach!

Hello!

Today is my first day at attempting to GREATLY curtail or completely QUIT drinking at the age of 47. During the past few years, my alcohol use has not only exacerbated my already-existing depression, but also contributed to the demise of my marriage a year ago along with numerous close friendships. I hurt those I love and am now dealing with loneliness that has resulted from having damaged my social support network. I desperately want to take control of my drinking, hopefully rekindle damaged friendships and live a happier, healthier life. I welcome any and all questions. Thanks!

Pondlady 07-10-2017 04:44 PM

Welcome :)

Most of us have arrived here with some damage to our lives from drinking. Honestly, you're better off quitting drinking, rather then to try and moderate. If you think you can moderate, why not try quitting for a month, then go from there?

Again, welcome.

MidnightRider 07-10-2017 04:57 PM

Hey there!
Welcome.!
Have you spoke to your Doctor yet?

SoberSurf 07-10-2017 05:00 PM

Thanks for your message, Pondlady! I think you're right. I just ordered "The 30 Day Sobriety Solution" and am going to check out an AA group near me this week. I'm going to see which approach (or perhaps both) works best for me.

SoberSurf 07-10-2017 05:01 PM

I haven't spoken with my GP, although I have spoken with my psychologist.

Anna 07-10-2017 05:06 PM

I'm glad you found us and that you're ready to stop drinking and live a sober life.

This is a link with lots of information about different types of recovery programs and how we managed:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Dee74 07-10-2017 05:19 PM

Hi sobersurf :)

my vote is for completely quit - I could never 'greatly curtail' worth a damn :)

D

SimplyFree 07-10-2017 08:22 PM

I quit, it wasn't worth keeping any amount of that pain or illusion around. Sanity is sober.

D122y 07-11-2017 02:15 AM

Sober,

You should read around and Google questions. The thing I didn't know about was the hellish, maddening, brain damage. For some reason when I realized I was directly damaging my brain, that made me want to get better.

The information I got here saved my life.

It got my head in the right mindset to fight the battle for my life.

I was a passive drunk that luckily managed to not get in trouble w the law or work.

I quit at 50. I was a mess. A deadman walking.

Quitting was extremely difficult since I had basically quit off and on for the last 30 years.

Moderation, 2 or 3 drinks, led me to a binge session soon enough, 20 plus drinks........always.

This booze thing is nothing to toy with. It is a killer.

Get clean. Stay clean.

Thanks.

PhoenixJ 07-11-2017 03:53 AM

Welcome surf. To control my drinking was crap and a waste of time. It prolonged the inevitable final need to stop. Keep posting. Support to you.

Vinificent 07-11-2017 04:32 AM

Welcome SS! You have already taken the hardest step in recognizing you have a bad relationship with alcohol. I am now at 59 days without any alcohol and all I can tell you is I feel better every single day. The concept of no alcohol forever was too much for me, which is why it took me 18 months to get to this point, but now I can easily and happily see a future free from alcohol. Take it one day at a time. Vow that you will not drink for 24 hours; each 24 hours after that will be a little easier. I couldn't imagine never drinking again, but the longer you don't drink, the easier it is to wrap your head around.
Good luck and I hope to see you post in the 24 hour thread:slomo:

mejorando 07-11-2017 04:42 AM

Thank you for posting. I agree that you should try to curtail it, and to keep an open mind to sobriety if moderation doesn´t work.

Many kudos for beginning your journey!

WhiteFeathers 07-11-2017 06:04 AM

Hey SoberSurf!

Congratulations on deciding to get sober! Getting sober is like opening a door into a vast universe you never knew existed. Literally, everything in your life will improve if you can just stick with it for a little while.

I was just in your 'hood yesterday. Brought back a lot of memories for me. I moved to Venice 15 years ago looking for a "geographical cure" from my own dysfunction. Ended up getting banned from The Brig for life, ha ha.

Anyway, you are in a great spot to embrace sobriety. The ocean is so healing.

All the best to you!

Delizadee 07-11-2017 06:19 AM

Hi Sobersurf and welcome to SR!
Definitely read around. There are a lot of great reading and resources here.
I think you will find overwhelmingly the vote will be for quitting.
It takes some of us a few tries to get to the full commitment. But if we can, so you can too. ;)
I greatly curtailed myself into near death so many times.
I could only start to fix up the wreckage of my life, mind, soul and relationships when I quit for good.
I hope you choose sobriety. It does get better with time, if we choose life over alcohol.

NoahJ 07-11-2017 07:09 AM

Grip it and rip it brah.

Fly N Buy 07-11-2017 07:19 AM

I welcome any and all questions.

One question; In the last few years have you planned on only drinking a couple drinks with the outcome being much, much more consumed on multiple occasions?

Welcome - good for you on seeking help

DesertDawg 07-11-2017 07:48 AM

Hi Sober,

Great decision. Former SoCal guy here, too -- Go Dodgers!

As a few others have alluded to, depending on how much you were drinking, please be cognizant of the potential for withdrawal if you quit cold turkey after a prolonged period of drinking. It doesn't just feel terrible, it can be dangerous. It may be worth it to consult with a medical doctor before quitting altogether. Best of luck to you.

FreeOwl 07-11-2017 10:41 AM

former Ventura surfer here....

SoCal and the surf culture can be a tough place to get sober.... but it can definitely be done.

Your surfing will improve and so will your life and you will be incredibly grateful for your decision.

Welcome!!!

:grouphug:

thomas11 07-11-2017 11:20 AM

Hi sobersurf and welcome to SR. As you can see its a warm and welcoming place. Would like to add that Venice Beach CA has a special place in my heart. Love visiting.

PurpleKnight 07-11-2017 03:44 PM

Welcome to the Forum SoberSurf!! :wave: