SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I don't know how it came to this. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/409887-i-dont-know-how-came.html)

Jay81 05-19-2017 08:41 AM

I don't know how it came to this.

I joined this site today. I'm hungover, as I am every morning. And every morning I ask myself why do I do this. This morning I cried instead of just rubbing my dizzy head and crawling back in bed. There's a bottle of wine in the fridge and I'm trying to get the courage to dump it down the drain. I don't want it but I'm scared I'll need it later.

Time2change4me 05-19-2017 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 6464054)
I joined this site today. I'm hungover, as I am every morning. And every morning I ask myself why do I do this. This morning I cried instead of just rubbing my dizzy head and crawling back in bed. There's a bottle of wine in the fridge and I'm trying to get the courage to dump it down the drain. I don't want it but I'm scared I'll need it later.

Today is my 1st time here too. Drank all the wine yesterday but Im scared that familiar bottle will be there later. 😣

FreeOwl 05-19-2017 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 6464054)

it matters a lot less how it came to this than what you do now.

when I got to that place, what I did was pour out the rest of the booze and get to the next available AA meeting.....

I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, my life had become unmanageable, and I chose out loud to myself - SOBRIETY.

Then I got down to business.

You don't have to do this anymore. It's up to you.

SoberLeigh 05-19-2017 08:45 AM

Welcome to SR, Jay; so glad you found us.

You never, ever have to feel this way again!!!

There is an exponentially better to live.

Stay close; we are here for you.

fini 05-19-2017 08:47 AM

And every morning I ask myself why do I do this.

welcome, Jay81 and Time2change4me.

i asked myself that a gazillion times...and kept doing it.

when i changed the question to "what am i gonna do to stop doing this?" , i started moving in a better direction.

Bird615 05-19-2017 08:50 AM

Welcome to SR, both of you!

You're with people now who understand and who have been there and have found a way to get out.

This place is great for finding information and support to help you do that, too. It takes some effort and some work to get and stay sober, but neither of you have to live that way anymore if you don't want to.

kenton 05-19-2017 08:51 AM

Hello Jay, pour the wine away. You're not going to need it later. Start reading threads on here and post as soon as you start thinking about drinking. Take it one day at a time. One minute at a time if necessary. You can do this

MrPL 05-19-2017 09:00 AM

Hi Jay - the first and most important step is realising you don't need the bottle. You drink by choice, not by need, it s now time to choose something else.

P

Jay81 05-19-2017 09:09 AM

I started down this horrid path 2 years ago. When I expressed to my loved ones that I think I might have a problem, it was always met with "Well don't drink then." or "I'm sure you're fine, you don't day drink." But I'm not fine. I'm tired, I'm tired of the anxiety I have every morning when I try to piece the night before back together. What did I say/do? Did my husband have to pick me up off of the floor again? How did I get this bruise? I dumped the bottle.

least 05-19-2017 09:11 AM

Welcome to the family. :) You'll find lots of support here. :hug:

Time2change4me 05-19-2017 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 6464096)
I started down this horrid path 2 years ago. When I expressed to my loved ones that I think I might have a problem, it was always met with "Well don't drink then." or "I'm sure you're fine, you don't day drink." But I'm not fine. I'm tired, I'm tired of the anxiety I have every morning when I try to piece the night before back together. What did I say/do? Did my husband have to pick me up off of the floor again? How did I get this bruise? I dumped the bottle.

Funny. My husband says that I dont have a problem. Yet, I know I do.

Shitzupuppy 05-19-2017 09:15 AM

Mine says I look skinny today, yeah, that's why I shop in the plus sizes.
What do they know! Lol

Jay81 05-19-2017 09:18 AM

My husband used to say the same thing, Time. Now my husband just says "Tequila or wine?" He doesn't drink. My addiction has become his habit, I suppose. How terrible is that?

gregknight 05-19-2017 09:27 AM

Welcome, Jay and Time2change! I think it's evident how we all came to this. The question is only, what are you going to do about it? I can tell you, there is never a "right" time to stop drinking when you get to this, except right now. There is no, "just one more drink" for us.

Delilah1 05-19-2017 09:43 PM

Hello,

Welcome Jay and Time2Change. Glad you are both here. It really does get easier with time, and this site is a wonderful support!!!

Mizzuno 05-20-2017 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jay81 (Post 6464096)

I can relate to this 100%. Every day I was hungover. Every day I was quitting and by the end of the day, I was drunk. I had a problem. A big ******* problem. Anxiety was monumental. Depression was creeping in. I just could not understand how I had gotten so messed up and I was scared I was going to die. I drank knowing full well that I had alcoholism.

The steps I took to gain some footing in sobriety:
I logged onto this site and posted.

I did not buy any wine.

We made changes in the home where there is no alcohol allowed from Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturdays are for my SO to drink and that is only after all chores and business has been taken care of.

I made the decision to stop abusing myself and started to recognize that I was worthy of a life that did not include pain everyday.

I checked into the 24 hour thread.

I ate dinner when I came home.

I took a bath or shower to get rid of the day

I watched a show or two on Netflix and went to bed.

I still do all of these things and it has given me 2 months of alcohol free living.

You are capable and can free yourself. Its one day at a time. Take action and move forward. Soon enough, with a new set of rituals, you will experience a healthier version of you.

Tynesider22 05-20-2017 08:18 AM

Welcome friends.

I joined yesterday as well, today is my day 1 as I was sadly 3 pints down when I joined. I'd just got sick of being drunk and penniless, plus my health is completely shot.

Best of luck in your forthcoming journey.

fini 05-20-2017 08:56 AM

welcome, Tynesider.

ChloeRose63 05-20-2017 09:09 AM

Welcome to all the newbies. There is so much support here for you all and someone is "listening" 24/7 so post anytime and anything you need to get out in the open. We have all been where you are so we know pretty much what you are going thru. Hope you all say close!♡CR

Verdantia 05-20-2017 02:07 PM

Welcome Jay, Tynesider and Time2! This is a wonderful for support, fellowship and advice. Good that you dumped the bottle, Jay. Stick close by here, read and post often. Someone is always here to help. Best wishes-you can do this!