Notices

I don't know how it came to this.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know how it came to this.

I joined this site today. I'm hungover, as I am every morning. And every morning I ask myself why do I do this. This morning I cried instead of just rubbing my dizzy head and crawling back in bed. There's a bottle of wine in the fridge and I'm trying to get the courage to dump it down the drain. I don't want it but I'm scared I'll need it later.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jay81 View Post
I joined this site today. I'm hungover, as I am every morning. And every morning I ask myself why do I do this. This morning I cried instead of just rubbing my dizzy head and crawling back in bed. There's a bottle of wine in the fridge and I'm trying to get the courage to dump it down the drain. I don't want it but I'm scared I'll need it later.
Today is my 1st time here too. Drank all the wine yesterday but Im scared that familiar bottle will be there later. 😣
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it matters a lot less how it came to this than what you do now.

when I got to that place, what I did was pour out the rest of the booze and get to the next available AA meeting.....

I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, my life had become unmanageable, and I chose out loud to myself - SOBRIETY.

Then I got down to business.

You don't have to do this anymore. It's up to you.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jay; so glad you found us.

You never, ever have to feel this way again!!!

There is an exponentially better to live.

Stay close; we are here for you.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And every morning I ask myself why do I do this.

welcome, Jay81 and Time2change4me.

i asked myself that a gazillion times...and kept doing it.

when i changed the question to "what am i gonna do to stop doing this?" , i started moving in a better direction.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, both of you!

You're with people now who understand and who have been there and have found a way to get out.

This place is great for finding information and support to help you do that, too. It takes some effort and some work to get and stay sober, but neither of you have to live that way anymore if you don't want to.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Jay, pour the wine away. You're not going to need it later. Start reading threads on here and post as soon as you start thinking about drinking. Take it one day at a time. One minute at a time if necessary. You can do this
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jay - the first and most important step is realising you don't need the bottle. You drink by choice, not by need, it s now time to choose something else.

P
Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started down this horrid path 2 years ago. When I expressed to my loved ones that I think I might have a problem, it was always met with "Well don't drink then." or "I'm sure you're fine, you don't day drink." But I'm not fine. I'm tired, I'm tired of the anxiety I have every morning when I try to piece the night before back together. What did I say/do? Did my husband have to pick me up off of the floor again? How did I get this bruise? I dumped the bottle.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started down this horrid path 2 years ago. When I expressed to my loved ones that I think I might have a problem, it was always met with "Well don't drink then." or "I'm sure you're fine, you don't day drink." But I'm not fine. I'm tired, I'm tired of the anxiety I have every morning when I try to piece the night before back together. What did I say/do? Did my husband have to pick me up off of the floor again? How did I get this bruise? I dumped the bottle.
Funny. My husband says that I dont have a problem. Yet, I know I do.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Mine says I look skinny today, yeah, that's why I shop in the plus sizes.
What do they know! Lol
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My husband used to say the same thing, Time. Now my husband just says "Tequila or wine?" He doesn't drink. My addiction has become his habit, I suppose. How terrible is that?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jay and Time2change! I think it's evident how we all came to this. The question is only, what are you going to do about it? I can tell you, there is never a "right" time to stop drinking when you get to this, except right now. There is no, "just one more drink" for us.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello,

Welcome Jay and Time2Change. Glad you are both here. It really does get easier with time, and this site is a wonderful support!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can relate to this 100%. Every day I was hungover. Every day I was quitting and by the end of the day, I was drunk. I had a problem. A big ******* problem. Anxiety was monumental. Depression was creeping in. I just could not understand how I had gotten so messed up and I was scared I was going to die. I drank knowing full well that I had alcoholism.

The steps I took to gain some footing in sobriety:
I logged onto this site and posted.

I did not buy any wine.

We made changes in the home where there is no alcohol allowed from Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturdays are for my SO to drink and that is only after all chores and business has been taken care of.

I made the decision to stop abusing myself and started to recognize that I was worthy of a life that did not include pain everyday.

I checked into the 24 hour thread.

I ate dinner when I came home.

I took a bath or shower to get rid of the day

I watched a show or two on Netflix and went to bed.

I still do all of these things and it has given me 2 months of alcohol free living.

You are capable and can free yourself. Its one day at a time. Take action and move forward. Soon enough, with a new set of rituals, you will experience a healthier version of you.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome friends.

I joined yesterday as well, today is my day 1 as I was sadly 3 pints down when I joined. I'd just got sick of being drunk and penniless, plus my health is completely shot.

Best of luck in your forthcoming journey.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

welcome, Tynesider.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to all the newbies. There is so much support here for you all and someone is "listening" 24/7 so post anytime and anything you need to get out in the open. We have all been where you are so we know pretty much what you are going thru. Hope you all say close!♡CR
Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Jay, Tynesider and Time2! This is a wonderful for support, fellowship and advice. Good that you dumped the bottle, Jay. Stick close by here, read and post often. Someone is always here to help. Best wishes-you can do this!